Hurling to return to St Brendan's Park

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: Hurling to return to St Brendan's Park

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

In fairness does it take LS to point out issues with the pitch for it to be sorted?

If Birr are serious about getting games, surely the basic issue of the pitch being in prime condition for club championship should be a no brainer?
Dried in divots for a ground serious about getting county games is crazy. It is something that you see on some club grounds when the ground dries up quick after heavy training taking place, and you dont roll it.

Fact that it happens in Birr is a bit disappointing to hear.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

I live in the South of the County, and have always been an advocate of as much hurling as possible being played in Birr. This is not because I think Offaly will hurl better in Birr, but for reasons I'll explain below. However, the Birr club have done themselves no favours, and it's almost getting to the time where it will have to be forgotten about as a feasible option for the latter stages of the championships, let alone any inter-county games.

The toilet facilities on the stand side are a joke. There is nowhere for some to get a cup of tea or coffee, or a sandwich etc. The clubs involved in the game provided the linesmen, which I believe no host club should ever allow happen if hosting a championship game. I too walked across the pitch after the game, and the grass was patchy, and the ground very uneven, explaining some of the odd bounces of the ball during the game. The unfinished terrace is not properly cordoned off, and people can openly walk behind the goals at the town end, across what is effectively still a building site.

I didn't make any games except Shinrone v Kinnitty at the weekend, so can't comment on the state of affairs in Banagher, Rath or any of the other venues used for games over the weekend, but I'm sure they were exemplary as they usually are.

I want to go to Birr to watch a County final, and to watch Offaly hurl, because I love the atmosphere that is around the ground, and around the town, when there is a big game. I like to go to Whelahans or Molloys for a pint after, maybe even wander (stagger!) into Melbas later in the night, and meet and chat with other hurling people all along the way.

I want hurling back in Birr, but until the club take their side of the deal seriously, then the County Board have no option to put all big games in Tullamore.

tmorelad
Junior B

Post by tmorelad »

i was at the lusmagh shamrocks game before kinnitty and shinrone and the score board was wrong for most of the game