Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kinnittyman
All Star

Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

Post by kinnittyman »

With yesterday's defeat to Cork it seems that Joe Dooley's term as Offaly manager and Brendan Kelly and Pat McLoughney's terms as selectors are now at an end. While I have no intention in going into a detailed review of the period 2008-2011, what I will say is that progress has been limited at best. The Gaelic Grounds 2008 and Croke Park 2010 were the highlights while the low points included the Cork game in Tullamore in 2009, the huge difference in class last year against Tipperary in Portlaoise, the performance against Limerick in OCP last year and probably the most disappointing of all, the performance in Wexford Park in 2009.

What the performances this year do show however is that we have to the ability to be very competitive in certain games. The current crop of players could enjoy a good next 3 years provided they are pointed in the right direction by a competent management team. But the question we now must all consider is who will this management team comprise of?? It seems that a lot of people are of the opinion that current coach Francis Forde is the right man to take over at this jucture. What we must consider though is beacuse Forde had no input into game day decisions this year, would he be a cool headed manager on the line come the last 5 minutes of a tight championship game thus enabling himself to make the right tactical adjustment that could make all the difference? For our sake if he gets the job I hope he is. Also if he does get it who would act as selectors. Hopefully some young guys who are hungry and enthusiastic.

Outside of Forde who are the other candidates?? I don't think there are any within the county. If we were willing to spalsh the cash on an "inside" manager, hopefully we'll be in a position to do the same if a suitable "outside" canditate becomes available.

redandgreen
Junior C
Club: kib

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

Post by redandgreen »

maybe the great micheal duignan would take over?.he seems to know everything about everything!?!?

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

What I will say is that I hope offaly pick a mananger early and not leave it until november december.. The sooner who ever is in the more time they will have to play their year and monitor club championships.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

i would think francis would make a great manager. Although his offical title has been coach or trainer in both his intercounty stints, he has been more than that. He certainly wont take rubbish from either side of things.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

redandgreen wrote:maybe the great micheal duignan would take over?.he seems to know everything about everything!?!?
Doubt it. Rumour is he is holding out to succeed Tom Cribben in 2012.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

outside manager needed i think.theres plenty of lads out there that could be asked but has to be high profile,someone with a proven track record of county management and silverware.

KingLurk
Junior B

Post by KingLurk »

Does nobody think Joe should get one more crack of the whip?

Ok, we got relegated in the league with some poor results, but he has brought this team on a lot, from being hammered by Cork in 2007 and 2009 to matching them on Saturday, even minus several first choice players. At least the fight is back in them.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

redandgreen wrote:maybe the great micheal duignan would take over?.he seems to know everything about everything!?!?
well i think he make his point about the two lads that did walk from the panel, don't think they were in the tap saturday night :D

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

kinnittyman wrote:With yesterday's defeat to Cork it seems that Joe Dooley's term as Offaly manager and Brendan Kelly and Pat McLoughney's terms as selectors are now at an end. While I have no intention in going into a detailed review of the period 2008-2011, what I will say is that progress has been limited at best. The Gaelic Grounds 2008 and Croke Park 2010 were the highlights while the low points included the Cork game in Tullamore in 2009, the huge difference in class last year against Tipperary in Portlaoise, the performance against Limerick in OCP last year and probably the most disappointing of all, the performance in Wexford Park in 2009.

What the performances this year do show however is that we have to the ability to be very competitive in certain games. The current crop of players could enjoy a good next 3 years provided they are pointed in the right direction by a competent management team. But the question we now must all consider is who will this management team comprise of?? It seems that a lot of people are of the opinion that current coach Francis Forde is the right man to take over at this jucture. What we must consider though is beacuse Forde had no input into game day decisions this year, would he be a cool headed manager on the line come the last 5 minutes of a tight championship game thus enabling himself to make the right tactical adjustment that could make all the difference? For our sake if he gets the job I hope he is. Also if he does get it who would act as selectors. Hopefully some young guys who are hungry and enthusiastic.

Outside of Forde who are the other candidates?? I don't think there are any within the county. If we were willing to spalsh the cash on an "inside" manager, hopefully we'll be in a position to do the same if a suitable "outside" canditate becomes available.
Well put Kinnittyman.

There is genuine reason to be very fearful over the next managerial appointment. The GAA has such a penchant for native managers thats its often the first place they look. Currently, there are no Offaly men suitable for the role. Save perhaps John Leahy but I'd bow to more informed KK opinion on him. Indeed of the current club hurling managers in Offaly there is only one who I would consider for the county job - Ken Hogan. He would be good, is experienced and has knowledge of the club scene. The rest are, to put it mildly, exactly not what is needed to progress this team.
Owing to his work this year with the team and the subsequent reports from camp - Francis Forde is the outstanding candidate. A modern, progressive and intelligent manager. Get a couple of local selectors along with Joe Quinn as fitness trainer to complete the set.

What's terrifying though is that one can predict the same tired names, the same characters that will appear again on the shortlist. We all know who they are. Or that the County Board will employ the same attitude that got Paddy Kirwan the U-21 job. The appointment of any of these of these would be disastrous.
For these players and for Offaly Hurling the stakes are so high, we just have to get this one right.

So Francis Forde and Ken Hogan are the main contenders for me. Any other ideas?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes maybe give Francis Forde or Ken Hogan a run at it wouldn't be a bad choice. but John Leahy is a NO NO... bar its the tipp John Leahy
as for Paddy Kirwin we would be in the Christy ring cup and division 3 this time next year if he gets his hands on the role just look at our under 21's :oops:

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Francis Forde for me!!!! If not Francis Forde then another outside manager who knows the modern game. Our players badly need coaching in the skills and tactical approach now needed -especially catching contested balls, winning the breaks on the ground, lifting the sliotar into the hand and finding the open team-mate.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

One other thing:

Does anybody else think the 'Selector' role in GAA is completely outdated and, to be frank, stupid?
As far as I can make out it's unique. In what other sport does a management team include two men who do absolutely nothing except watch training? In all other sports the team selection seems to be in the hands on one individual (Alex Ferguson, Declan Kidney) with significant input coming from those who actually have a hands on role and help coach the team (Mike Phelan, Gert Smal, Les Kiss).

Should the GAA not move towards this model and abolish the pure selector role? Maybe Offaly could be the first. Would it be feasible or practical for our next manager to be assisted by, for example, Brian Whelahan and John Troy as Backs Coach and Forwards Coach respectively? Just an idea.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

or what about a dream ticket of Brian Whelehan,John Troy, Martin Hanamy, give them 3 years to work with a young squad
you never know it might work, or Donal o'Grady if he leaves limerick problem is he only does 1 year terms which offaly need something long term
in place. i think we should have decent slectors that know the game or will bring something to it unlike the ones that have been there this 4 year's.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Donal O'Grady would be ideal if possible. You can see the development in the way Limerick play the game and they're good mentally too - when Clare headed them down the stretch in the Division 2 final they just picked themselves up, drove on again and closed out the game.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

townman wrote:or what about a dream ticket of Brian Whelehan,John Troy, Martin Hanamy, give them 3 years to work with a young squad
you never know it might work, or Donal o'Grady if he leaves limerick problem is he only does 1 year terms which offaly need something long term
in place. i think we should have decent slectors that know the game or will bring something to it unlike the ones that have been there this 4 year's.

It would be best not go down the path of just picking people purely because they were exceptional hurlers. In both our underage and senior set-up's we have sufferd for this foolish policy.
In my rather hastily though out idea, both Brian and John or whoever else would be coaches with actual roles but would be subservient to the manager e.g Francis Forde/Ken Hogan in much the same as Gert Smal offers his opinion to Declan Kidney but it's still Kidney who calls the final shots.

The utter passiveness of the 'selector' role I find strange and, as I said already, is unique to the GAA. But anyway back to the other potential candidate for the Senior job.