Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
My Left Foot
Senior

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

Post by My Left Foot »

Thanks to Joe Dooley for the time and effort he has put in over the last 4 years - hugely appreciated.

We had gone from sheep in a heap to a rabble , before his arrival, and while we hoped for and indeed rightly or wrongly expected more, I believe the panel as a whole is in better shape now, but we will in Div 2 next year and that was a damning indictment on this 4th year.

The time for change had arrived and he was right to step down. A new voice ( and hopefully a good new voice ) is whats required at this point.

Enjoy a few pints in Annie Kellys now Joe in relative peace and quiet. Might even let you buy me one !

dom
Junior C

Re: joe dooley steps down

Post by dom »

ditchhurler wrote:It was mentioned on Hoganstand that Liam Hogan of Ballyboden was been linked to it. Now i know its not the most reliable source but i think this would be a great appointment. They have dominated Dublin hurling, winning the last 4 county titles, and have several players on the Dublin panel notably Keaney, Maguire, Lambert and would have had Hiney only for his injurt. Plus being based in Dublin he is far enough away to avoid the political rubbish that is going on here
I heard rumour last night too. I reckon he wouldnt be a bad appointment. And being a native of coolderry would help.

Hopefully someone will be appointed soon so that they would attend the rest of the club games.

best of luck to Joe :)

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thanks very much for your efforts Joe.

All the best in the future.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

RTE radio interview with Joe Dooley here:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championshi ... ,flash,257
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Diarmuid O'Flynn of the Examiner clearly feels that Offaly will do well to replace Dooley with a manager of similar or better calibre.

http://sport.irishexaminer.com/post/201 ... ffaly.aspx
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

a good article alright. it does point out a lot of the problems and player pool he has had to deal with in his tenure. but in the job of intercounty manager, theres no room for excuses no matter how valid the reasons. i see it the same here with us. we were gutted to loose to antrim, but people didnt take into account the 6 new faces on the team since the same game last year. i would have nothing only good things to say about joe dooley as a hurler and a man, but i wasnt a fan of his management. now i know he did have valid problems with the training venue and player commitment etc, but would the same type of thing happen to donal ogrady? as in, maybe all this stuff should have been sorted well before 2 weeks ago. even the dogs in the street (even the carlow dogs!) knew the problems with training facilities months ago. i know this is an old argument on another topic, but it points out to me that he wasnt strong enough for the position.
anyhow, the future? well like i said its a big one. i think you need a well respected man in there as players need to respect the new manger and be wholly confident in how that person plans the year - not a comment on joes tenure may i add, just a general one, if you want all the best lads to commit and buy into it properly. who? well there has been a lot of names mentioned, all good may i add. other names that i d like to throw out for discussion are dinny cahill and niall rigney. just a thought!

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

I think it is strange that no one has mentioned Joachim Kelly. He has done a fantastic job with the camogie team, and maybe kelly as manager with his former colleague Ken Hogan as coach would be a good option.

I wouldn't mind Forde getting a chance either as anyone who has trained under him has nothing but praise, bit i fear that a vacancy may arise in galway and that may prove too tempting for him
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I read that Diarmuid O’Flynn piece. So Dooley has had 4 years, won 4 matches out of 14 and O’Flynn thinks he was forced out. Hel-lo-oh!

Diarmuid, Diarmuid. Did it ever dawn on you why the letter ended up in the hands of the Examiner? Now, while it’s a good paper for the GAA and it gives by far the best coverage of club GAA matters of all the nationals, the truth is that hardly anyone to the north of Nenagh actually reads it. Ergo, it wasn’t intended for the GAA people of Ireland, it was intended for ye Corkonians. Ye might have been focussing on Laois at that stage but up here we were already focussing on Cork.

Would you not realise even now that this was a ploy to distract Cork and that you fell for it hook, line and sinker? Did you even bother to investigate the specifics of the incident? I don’t think you did.

There are several areas where Offaly hurling has been neglected. You haven’t been able to be specific on a single one of them. Diarmuid, you are spoofing.

The following quotes from Joe Dooley appear in today’s Irish Independent though they do not appear in either the ‘Times’ or the ‘Daily Cork’. They sum up the entire matter now that the cool of the evening has settled on Offaly’s championship summer.
"We've had a problem getting into O'Connor Park for the last couple of years alright," said Dooley yesterday.
"It was probably a lot down to an individual or two that was there on the day but I have no grievance with the county board.
"In fairness, they have given us good support over the years. It might maybe highlight some difficulties that are there and the next man will be able to deal with it better hopefully as a consequence of what we did."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling ... 08261.html
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I read that Diarmuid O’Flynn piece. So Dooley has had 4 years, won 4 matches out of 14 and O’Flynn thinks he was forced out. Hel-lo-oh!

Would you not realise even now that this was a ploy to distract Cork and that you fell for it hook, line and sinker? Did you even bother to investigate the specifics of the incident? I don’t think you did.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling ... 08261.html

Is that you Jim Corr?

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Kilkennys Michael Walsh?

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

he was nearly lynched after this years u21 v wexford!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

joe bloggs wrote:I think it is strange that no one has mentioned Joachim Kelly. He has done a fantastic job with the camogie team, and maybe kelly as manager with his former colleague Ken Hogan as coach would be a good option.

I wouldn't mind Forde getting a chance either as anyone who has trained under him has nothing but praise, bit i fear that a vacancy may arise in galway and that may prove too tempting for him
Joachim was with offaly in the early 2000s i think, he also was with wexford a few years ago offaly gave wexford a bad beating that year Joachim was over them.

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

Liam hogan not a bad idea a good hurling man ballyboden one of the best teams around he has got a lot out of his players

plain the maggot
Junior C
Club: drumcullen

Post by plain the maggot »

well all of these outsiders are good to be looking at for the upcomming manager...
i think francis forde will have a big role in it. he got on very well with all the players and knows how they should be threated as he has a lot of experience with galway teams.
we also have to think why do high profile managers take over club teams. ken hogan who is over coolderry and has been over numerous tipperary teams. joachim kelly who has taken over shinrone and is the camoige manager as well. dinny cahill over st rynaghs and also with antrim at the same time.
if you ask me these lads are thinking of the future and are not with these clubs for nothing at the end of the day.

could these all be contenders????

townman
All Star

new football manager

Post by townman »

corner back wrote:Ah lads. I think ye're being a bit harsh on MIcko. Has he been lucky all this time? Wicklow drawing with Armagh away was some result in fairness. (Was Garvan Ware that Carlow guy)

Offaly won't be able to afford him if they wanted him.

Surprised there is not more talk about the hurling job which, unlike the football one, is available as of now.

Would Kevin Martin be in with a shout? Daithi Regan suggested Eugene Coughlan? Is there an internal manager that could do the job? Can't remember the statistic I heard recently but only a tiny proportion of recent all-irelands have been won with outside managers
Kevin Martin that took westmeath to division 3 don't think so, also in was Ger Coughlan that Daithi Suggested after the munster final could be a good choice.