Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

Post by durra1 »

Francis Forde is the ideal candidate…

Low profile candidate Tick.
Relatively inexpensive
Tick.
Ability to get through to young players
Tick.
Track record in hurling development in weaker counties
Tick.
Reasoned / calm attitude
Tick.
Hunger and commitment for hurling
Tick.
No Baggage
Tick.
No club loyalties
Tick.
Familiarity with squad (and issues)
Tick.

My feedback from his coaching sessions in three different sides are all third hand but are unanimously positive.

If we could possibly get a new skills coach along the lines of an Eamonn O’Shea – if only to revitalise things.

I’m loath to knock the other names suggested, all of whom have far more pedigree in the game than yours truly on a keyboard, but FF is the stand out candidate in my book.

I would steer clear of any former greats for the moment – we need to get real about our position in the game.

I’m thinking David Moyes, Jason Ryan – young, low key, in tune with the modern approach committed in a way that can get through to the youth ..

.. they won’t listen to the burdensome and repetitive tradition sh1te, “in our day” .. ground hurling guff anymore.

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

llkj wrote:100K, shit really??

Just out of curiosity, how do they actually write this type of thing off both tax wise and also on the county board financial statements?

Joe Dooley said that Offaly had 100 get togethers this year. Lets persume the following for next year:

1. Offaly get further and have 150 sessions next year.
2. The new manager has to do 150 miles roundtrip to each session

That is 22,500 miles in the season.

Do they declare that they are paying the manager 4.44euro a mile and everyone agrees that it is a fair rate, and he comes out with 100K?

Or am i being completely innocent and it is actually a much darker art than this.
Very good point....does anybody know how it actually is recorded in the books??

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

In the long grass wrote:
llkj wrote:100K, shit really??

Just out of curiosity, how do they actually write this type of thing off both tax wise and also on the county board financial statements?

Joe Dooley said that Offaly had 100 get togethers this year. Lets persume the following for next year:

1. Offaly get further and have 150 sessions next year.
2. The new manager has to do 150 miles roundtrip to each session

That is 22,500 miles in the season.

Do they declare that they are paying the manager 4.44euro a mile and everyone agrees that it is a fair rate, and he comes out with 100K?

Or am i being completely innocent and it is actually a much darker art than this.
Very good point....does anybody know how it actually is recorded in the books??
100k is the minimum. After what O'Grady has done with Limerick, his "market rate" would be even higher. Of course I'm not suggesting for a minute that Donal O'Grady himself is receiving money, merely what the market would bear for a man of his credentials..... (you never know who's reading)

Usually it comes through sponsors and benefactors, and they work it out among themselves. For example, hypothetically speaking, if I was the sponsor of a county then I might hire the manager as a consultant to my company and then I can pay whatever mileage and unvouched expenses I want, or I could decide to provide services in lieu.

The other thing about mileage is that a county manager could have to attend a lot of club games, he could have to stay away from home and present the invoice for payment, all sorts.

I've never been involved in it but there are a variety of ways that are reputedly used.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

donal o grady would be my choice.he would do great work with the lads,its hard to see limerick letting go of him tho.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

[quote="durra1"]Francis Forde is the ideal candidate…

I’m thinking David Moyes, Jason Ryan – young, low key, in tune with the modern approach committed in a way that can get through to the youth ..

David Moyes is barred out of the Brewery Tap so thats a non runner. :lol:

Tommy Dunne seems to fit your young, under the radar type man too, with no club loyalties. He'd be inexpensive compared with O'Grady etc. He'd be my choice at this moment. Seems destined for the top. Be nice if he got their with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I am going to phrase this question in such a way that ensures no lawyers need to get involved!

Can anyone provide me with any managers, either managing their own county or another county, who are just doing so for the declared, legitimate expenses?

The exclusion of any names from this list does not imply they are getting non-legitimate expenses!
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:I am going to phrase this question in such a way that ensures no lawyers need to get involved!

Can anyone provide me with any managers, either managing their own county or another county, who are just doing so for the declared, legitimate expenses?

The exclusion of any names from this list does not imply they are getting non-legitimate expenses!
The vast majority of those managing their own counties, with a few disappointing exceptions, do so for declared expenses and in some cases even less than that. Mickey Harte and Brian Cody are the two obvious examples who by all accounts don't even take reimbursement for costs they have incurred, never mind more than that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Joe Dooley has stepped down as Offaly hurling manager after four years in charge as he believes he has taken the squad as far as he could.

The former All Star saw his side go out of the championship after they lost by a point to Cork in Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Saturday, with his son Shane scoring a late goal in the 2-17 to 2-16 defeat in the first phase of hurling qualifiers.

Speaking of his decision tonight, Dooley said: “I went in for a three-year term and that was up last year and the county board asked me to stay on. But I think it’s maybe time to step aside and let somebody in to be honest.

“I’ve had four very enjoyable years, we’ve made a lot of progress, there’s a lot of great young fellahs there that have given great commitment over the last few years and they’re up to a level now where maybe they need to hear a different voice and for that reason I’m stepping aside.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/20 ... 25163.html
Keep The Faith

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Now that Joe has stepped down, it's ime to start eulogising him again.

Great player ...... sound man ...... fierce unlucky with player injuries ........ well liked ........ couldn't catch a break ........ remember him for all he gave to the county ......... :D
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

townblue
Junior A
Club: birr

joe dooley steps down

Post by townblue »

while i have been a critic of his , i wish him well .............. but its the proper decision , for the team needs a new leader . my money on ken hogan a man who from training coolderry would be up to speed with offaly scene

old yellar
All Star

Re: joe dooley steps down

Post by old yellar »

its going to be an important decision for the county board alright. the county seems to be at a crossroads and getting the right man is going to be key. linking this man with the u21 set up is also a must surely?

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Thanks for the memories Joe! Will always be a legend of Offaly hurling.

small paralellogram
Junior C

Post by small paralellogram »

i believe that Ken Hogan may be the man for the job also. He has a whole package which is proven to work well at inter county level. He has a good knowledge of senior players in the county.

Believe that we also need an independent 'scout' system apart from selectors to look at all eligible players at all grades within the county. they would have a 2 year tenure in which to scout for potential among underage players.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

It was mentioned on Hoganstand that Liam Hogan of Ballyboden was been linked to it. Now i know its not the most reliable source but i think this would be a great appointment. They have dominated Dublin hurling, winning the last 4 county titles, and have several players on the Dublin panel notably Keaney, Maguire, Lambert and would have had Hiney only for his injurt. Plus being based in Dublin he is far enough away to avoid the political rubbish that is going on here

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Best of luck to Joe.
I think he's taken them as far as he can go.
They've shown some heart & pride in a few gallant defeats over these last couple of years.
Somebody new might be able to take them to the next level.

As for a successor.
Babs Keating, anyone?......