Minor Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Minor Hurling Championship

Post by puzzled »

The Minor hurling championship that was due to start next wednesday 29th June has been cancelled until after the July county board meeting!

Can anyone throw any light on why this has happened?

tacmot
Senior

Re: Minor Hurling Championship

Post by tacmot »

Something to do with the set up as regarding teams ammalgamating to play in the minor A, and still play in the minor B on their own, i tink it was kinnitty & shinrone tried it but the co. board didnt allow it to happen.
Typical of the set up in this county, mid july before any minor games to be played & then come sept & october when players are gone back to college no doubt they will be "FORCED" to travel home and play midweek. By the way can someone inform me how long our minors are out of the lenister championship. :oops:

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

tacmot wrote:Something to do with the set up as regarding teams ammalgamating to play in the minor A, and still play in the minor B on their own, i tink it was kinnitty & shinrone tried it but the co. board didnt allow it to happen.
Typical of the set up in this county, mid july before any minor games to be played & then come sept & october when players are gone back to college no doubt they will be "FORCED" to travel home and play midweek. By the way can someone inform me how long our minors are out of the lenister championship. :oops:
If this is the case its unbelievable that it hasnt been sorted out before now!

Westmeath beat our minor hurlers on 21st May 0-9 to 1-14!

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

I don't think Kinnity/Shinrone was the problem as both are in B just like the teams that make up St. Davids. Maybe they left it too late but that would be another story.

The problem is with Davids, as Tullamore are unhappy about the fact that players from their parish (ballinamere) should not be playing for Davids. this also came up at the time of the u21 championship, so it is farcical that this has not yet been sorted out

Something else is also puzzling me. Clara won the U16 B two years ago, and it has always been the case then that two years later the B champions would play in A, however this rule or bye law or whatever you want to call it appears not to have been applied. It may have been done to make sure Davids had a team, but it is hardly fair on the clubs who will have to play in the B against them.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

From what I can find out this evening 'Joe Bloggs' you are spot on it appears Tullamore have lodged an objection against St. Davids this is unbelievable to do it this close to the championship why didnt they do this months ago if they didnt agree with the amalgamation?

To me this stinks of Tullamore not being able to fill a minor team without the Ballinamere guys and if this is the case with the population of Tullamore it beggars belief,with the pick they have they should be able to field two teams in every grade!

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

Sorry joe bloggs i thought it had to do with shinrone / kinnitty trying to put a team together to play A championship, i had not heard of the davids / tullamore saga. IF so i am shocked to see that it the county board are waiting untill july to get it sorted. MINOR A final hopefully will be played on xmas eve this year. :?
On the clara suitation i know that they beat Coolderry in that U16 B final two years ago and this year Coolderry are competing in the A champ, strange indeed.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

tacmot wrote:Sorry joe bloggs i thought it had to do with shinrone / kinnitty trying to put a team together to play A championship, i had not heard of the davids / tullamore saga. IF so i am shocked to see that it the county board are waiting untill july to get it sorted. MINOR A final hopefully will be played on xmas eve this year. :?
On the clara suitation i know that they beat Coolderry in that U16 B final two years ago and this year Coolderry are competing in the A champ, strange indeed.
The county board were all set to start the championship as planned but the objection from Tullamore was lodged just in time to stop it being started,dont think we can blame the county board for this one! This one could get very messy it has all the same hallmarks as the row that rumbled on for years with Birr and Crinkle(parish boundaries)!

The one with Clara is interesting,if they were strong enough to win the B U16 two years ago they should be hurling minor A on their own,end of story!

Coolderry arent on their own this year they have players from another club(Lusmagh I think)thats why on the fixtures they are entered as Coolderry Og! Thats why they entered the A championship!

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

tacmot wrote:Sorry joe bloggs i thought it had to do with shinrone / kinnitty trying to put a team together to play A championship, i had not heard of the davids / tullamore saga. IF so i am shocked to see that it the county board are waiting untill july to get it sorted. MINOR A final hopefully will be played on xmas eve this year. :?

Coolderry still playing in the B on their own, however they are also in an algamated team with Lusmagh to play in the A (to be called Cooldery óg) just in the same way that Brosna Gaels play B but the play in the A for St. Davids.
The theory is to get as many young lads in the county playing A hurlng, while at the same time not alowing weak teams into it that would end up being hammered and being of no benefit to anyone.

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

Coolderry are not playing in the B champ on their own. They hav 2 players from Lusmagh entitled to play with them, so as a team that lost the B final at U16 level 2 years ago then its fair play to them to enter the A champ this year with the idea id say to give their players a better standard of hurling, which shud help them in the followin years. The 2 lusmagh lads are both county minors which is a major help aswell.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Will Lusmagh be fielding a B team, or what happens to the other 13+ players? Also, why just 2 players eligable - is there a quota system in place?

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

tacmot wrote:Coolderry are not playing in the B champ on their own. They hav 2 players from Lusmagh entitled to play with them, so as a team that lost the B final at U16 level 2 years ago then its fair play to them to enter the A champ this year with the idea id say to give their players a better standard of hurling, which shud help them in the followin years. The 2 lusmagh lads are both county minors which is a major help aswell.
I stand corrected there tacmot. They are playing B at U16 level on their own, and with Lusmagh in u16 A.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

llkj wrote:Will Lusmagh be fielding a B team, or what happens to the other 13+ players? Also, why just 2 players eligable - is there a quota system in place?
No quota in place, just a small but talented pick from Lusmagh.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

What clubs make up St. Davids??
The night is darkest before the dawn

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

Ya both Lusmagh and Cd both playing U16 B champ this year and are joined together to play in the A champ. Goin well by all accounts as they have beaten both Birr and Tullamore. I tink what it is that Lusmagh have only 2 players over 16 that can play minor & that anyone under U16 are not eligble to play in the Minor A amalgamation , which seems strange to me.
Returning to the failure of the county board not having the minor A and B champ sorted b4 july is a total farce. Even before the Tullamore /Davids saga, it hadnt been decided who was playin A and B MINOR this year, their had been talk of Shinrone & Kinnitty possibly joining and therefore the co board hadd not decided if it was goin to be 1 group of 8 teams or 2 groups of 4 teams this year. Clubs only got word of this in the 2nd wee of JUNE , typical !!!!!!

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:What clubs make up St. Davids??
Ballinamere/Durrow Clara Ballycumber Pullough Tubber Doon! I stand to be corrected on those but I think thats the clubs involved!