Joe hits out at County Board

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ditchhurler
Intermediate

Joe hits out at County Board

Post by ditchhurler »

Joe Dooley has forwarded a letter to the Offaly county board outlining his grievances at the way he and his players have been treated regarding the use of O'Connor Park for training purposes.

The Offaly hurling boss was prompted to write the letter, which is published in today's Irish Examiner, after his team was prevented from training at the redeveloped Tullamore venue last Saturday.

"We wish to very strongly register our annoyance at the treatment received today in O'Connor Park when we arrived for a training session," the letter read.

"As a result of the way we were received, from gates being locked all over the place, to players and mentors being asked to leave the field, to not being allowed even walk across the field, to the threat of cars being removed from outside the ground, we had no other choice but to call off training.

"This is not a satisfactory situation given we have our most important game in two weeks' time."

Dooley added that what happened last Saturday wasn't an isolated case.

"This type of treatment has been an ongoing issue all year, and today it came to a head when all involved agreed we have had enough.

"This is the last thing anyone wanted or needed but it was collectively felt that we were left with no other choice. It is very clear to all involved that throughout this year and last that we are not wanted in O'Connor Park. Every reason seems to be used to keep us out of the pitch or off the pitch during training sessions."

He went on to outline the sacrifices the players make to represent their county.

"Today players travelled from Dublin and other locations and everyone has been doing this with the interests of Offaly hurling to the fore since last December. We have trained in sub-zero temperatures and a number of players have undergone surgery and have been out of work and so on as a result of injuries sustained playing for Offaly and to arrive today and be treated in this way is just not good enough. Having a great facility like O'Connor Park is no advantage if our teams are not afforded the use of these facilities to prepare for big championship games in a spirit of support and cooperation."

In conclusion, he made the following three points: "1) That no further requests will be made by Offaly senior hurlers for the use of O'Connor Park; 2) That serious consideration be given by the county board and the clubs of Offaly to the staging of some league games in Birr; 3) Request the support of clubs to make their facilities available for Offaly senior hurlers for training sessions."

The letter was signed by Joe Dooley, Brian Carroll, Brendan Kelly (selector), Tony Murphy (team secretary), Francis Forde (coach), Shane Dooley (captain), Joe Bergin (vice-captain) and Pat McLoughney (selector).

Offaly county chairman Teehan said the matter would be dealt with internally.

As much as i don't rate the man I don't think it is unreasonable for the county team to be allowed to train on the county ground

otb2011
Junior C

Re: Joe hits out at County Board

Post by otb2011 »

about time someone did that pat teehan fella hasnt a clue the games should be moved to birr

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

This brings up the old arguement about the use of Birr as the main hurling ground in Offaly,just wondering have the senior football team come up against the same problem regarding the use of O'connor park? as a hurling man I always wanted Birr to be kept as the centre of hurling in Offaly,anyone that has been in Birr lately will see the brilliant job that has been done in there and while its not totally finished its very close,surely its about time the hurling clubs got together and made a stand to bring the hurling games back to Birr!

Please dont get me wrong I dont want to start Hurlers V Footballers row but does it not make more sense to have two grounds one for each code thereby taking the pressure off the people running O'connor park!

Reading the letter written by Joe Dooley he makes a point about clubs making their grounds available for county training perhaps not enough clubs are doing enough to make facilities available for our county teams!

Also who made the threats about getting cars removed if that came from someone involved in Offaly GAA then some disiplinary action should be taken against that individual,its disraceful to threaten our hurlers in such a manner!

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

The only issue I would have with League games being moved to Birr is if we got a home draw in the championship odds are we would have to move it to Tullamore for health and safety. As our lads would be using Birr it would be like a game in a neutral venue.

Would the Birr pitch be playable in the middle of February in the muck and rain? If not theres not much point moving games to Birr.

KingLurk
Junior B

Post by KingLurk »

ditchhurler wrote: Would the Birr pitch be playable in the middle of February in the muck and rain? If not theres not much point moving games to Birr.
They can't get on to O'Connor park in June, so I doubt they'd be any worse off in Birr!

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

ditchhurler wrote:The only issue I would have with League games being moved to Birr is if we got a home draw in the championship odds are we would have to move it to Tullamore for health and safety. As our lads would be using Birr it would be like a game in a neutral venue.

Would the Birr pitch be playable in the middle of February in the muck and rain? If not theres not much point moving games to Birr.
Health and and safety issues will be resolved,as far as I know,when the work behind the town goal is finished! The main issue was the grass banks on the side and end of the ground both of which will be fully terraced when finished!

The drainage issue seems to have been sorted out as they have solved the problems that they were having with water staying on the surface!

Birr's ground is as good as any in the county so as far as im concerned none of the above issues can be used to stop any games being played there!

KingLurk
Junior B

Post by KingLurk »

Every hurling person I know wants to see Birr back in use, at least partially. Unfortunately I can't see it happening. The balance of power has always been with the north offaly clubs, throw in county board execs as well and it's impossible to get it turned around.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Expect this to spill over into a major issue come next season. I was in Birr a while back and was being told players would stike if games were not moved back to Birr next year. I laughed at the time but now this letter seems set to spark an internal row within the county over the coming months. I'm not saying that there were not issues with the boys getting access to OCP but I reckon this letter has more to do with the staging of games in Birr more than anything else ?
Also Joe is just getting an excuse in before the likely defeat to Cork saturday week.....he always seems to have some problems to maon about when a big game is on the horizon.
Last edited by bracknaghboy on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingLurk
Junior B

Post by KingLurk »

bracknaghboy wrote:Expect this to spill over into a major issue come next season. I was in Birr a while back and was being told players would stike if games were not moved back to Birr next year. I laughed at the time but now this letter seems set to spark an internal row within the county over the coming months. I'm not saying that there were not issues with the boys getting access to OCP but I reckon this letter has more to do with the staging of games in Birr more than anything else ?
There's been a complete under estimation of how strongly people feel about it. It's going to get interesting.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

If the pitch is ok then there is no real reason to not play it in Birr. I'm a Tullamore man but the hurling should be played in Birr. The same people are going to go to the games anyway. Birr would provide a far better atmosphere so if the players and management want it i dont see what the problem is. But no doubt the county board will find one somewhere

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

I'm not getting into the argument of Hurlers vs Footballers and Tullamore vs Birr but to my mind the only way this problem will go away is if the county board finally decide to buy a site and develop a training ground specifically for Offaly GAA teams to train on.

This has been happening for at least the past 20 years with even the 82 side having to jump over gates having been locked out out for training in Tullamore

I know money is tight at the moment but there should at least be a long term plan put in place to develop a training facility for the county teams

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

I'm not getting into the argument of Hurlers vs Footballers and Tullamore vs Birr but to my mind the only way this problem will go away is if the county board finally decide to buy a site and develop a training ground specifically for Offaly GAA teams to train on.

This has been happening for at least the past 20 years with even the 82 side having to jump over gates having been locked out out for training in Tullamore

I know money is tight at the moment but there should at least be a long term plan put in place to develop a training facility for the county teams

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

county board should sort this out,no other county team in the country would be refused from training in their home ground.i like the idea of clubs letting the county teams train and use their facilities.if lads had to travel from dublin the edenderry pitch would be ideal to train on to give the lads a break from long journey plus the dressing rooms and showers are newly built and are among the best in the county and theres a small gym,plus swimming pool next door.i think offaly footballers trained there last weekend.i know most of the team is from far end but they would be made very welcome in edenderry.i always said hurlers would be better in o connor park,but after this letter i think a swift move back to birr would be the only answer,we gave a great show against dublin and you would think the county board would get behind the lads instead of rocking the boat.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

bracknaghboy wrote:Expect this to spill over into a major issue come next season. I was in Birr a while back and was being told players would stike if games were not moved back to Birr next year. I laughed at the time but now this letter seems set to spark an internal row within the county over the coming months. I'm not saying that there were not issues with the boys getting access to OCP but I reckon this letter has more to do with the staging of games in Birr more than anything else ?
Also Joe is just getting an excuse in before the likely defeat to Cork saturday week.....he always seems to have some problems to maon about when a big game is on the horizon.
thats rich coming from you from the football end, i suppose cribbin is doing a great job, who knows we might beat Cork at least we could hold our heads up after the
Dublin hurling game unlike the footballers the day before who were a disgrace to offaly. if you don't like going to matches in birr stay in Bracknagh Birr was always the
hurling end for games and the hurling people want that back so why would it upset you from bracknagh where they play the game beats me. :?

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

This is something that Pat Shortt or Brendan O'Carroll couldnt make up for their shows,the top hurling team in the county arrive at the newly developed top notch O'Connor park to find themselves locked out of various areas,management are told to keep players off the grass and told not to even walk across the pitch then to add insult to the whole debacle the players are told to move their cars or they will be towed away!

Every other county in the country must be both amazed and in shock at how this could be allowed to happen its just unbelievable!

As for Joe Dooley making excuses he is pretty good at poor mouthing when things are not going his way but for once how can anyone not agree totally with him!

Perhaps it will take the players to make a stand about where matches are played and this incident will only make everyone that wants hurling back in Birr stand up and make this current county board bring the games back where they should be!!