Dooley set to continue

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Dooley set to continue

Post by Offaly2010 »

Dooley set to continue

02 October 2010

Joe Dooley is expected to be reappointed Offaly hurling manager at a county board meeting next Tuesday night.

The three-time All-Ireland winner has spent the last three months deliberating on his future, but it's understood that he has told Faithful County officials in recent days that he is prepared to remain on as manager for a fourth year.

It will make Dooley the county's longest serving manager since Eamonn Cregan who stepped down in 1996 after four years at the helm. Outgoing selectors Pat McLoughney and Brendan Kelly are also set to be ratified at Tuesday's meeting.

Since taking over the reins from current Galway boss John McIntyre at the end of 2007, Dooley has overseen a revival in Offaly's fortunes and this summer they took Galway to a replay in the Leinster semi-final before losing to eventual All-Ireland champions Tipperary in the qualifiers.

(Taken from HS)

kinnittyman
All Star

Re: Dooley set to continue

Post by kinnittyman »

Obviously Donal O'Grady's appointment in Limerick made up Joe's mind for him. This re-appointment is an unequivocal disaster. Cue a spate of retirements and withdrawls.

racecar
Junior C

Post by racecar »

Why so K-man?

Joe Dooley seems to have brought a stability and consistency to the inter county team that has been sadly lacking over the last decade. He has a good idea of the hurlers in the county, has a consistent panel together and they seem to have a good spirit about them. The level of ability might not be that of the teams of the 80's or 90's but there is no point fooling oursleves into thinking that with a manager of Donal O' Gray's standng that we would be All Ireland contenders.

Having being at some of the games this year and in particular the game versus Limerick it is obvious that offaly are a team in the top 8 that lack the quality of player to punish teams and drive on. This is NOT Joe Dooleys fault. He can only work with the players he has and if they can't convincly put away a second string Limerick team we should hardly be laying the blame with Joe Dooley.

Are the players on the current panel capable of much more? Are there any better players in the county? In my mind the answer is no on both counts. We should be happy that Joe Dooley has brought back some of the fighting qualities and respectability to the county team whether the players are there or not. This is where Offaly are for the forseeable future.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

we are at nothing now i though tommy dunne or ken hogan would be a better choice

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I'm with Kinnittyman on this one. This is very disappointing news. A year of stagnation (at best) lies ahead.
Offaly2010 wrote:has overseen a revival in Offaly's fortunes
The above quote is typical of the bull in the national media. Lazy journalism at its finest.

sean
Junior C

Post by sean »

Lads why would you even consider blaming Joe Dooley for Offaly not being able to compete against the top teams? maybe he is a bad coach,maybe he is a brillant coach,i dont know and i wont judge,all i know is that he was a serious hurler in his day and probably has an unbelieveable knowledge of the game....nowadays it seems that trainers do alot of the work with teams and if thats the case Joe Dooley probably didnt even do much of the training with offaly in the last 3 years!! and im not even going to think about slagging players because offaly havent won anything lately,instead im going to praise them for the effort they put in because no doubt they train 3/5 times a week and with alot of them travelling they put in alot of time and that in itself deserves serious praise!! offaly did make strides in 2010 and i hope they continue 2 improve in 2011 and even if they just stay competitive who are we to complain because every county has their ups and downs and we had enough good days in the 90s so we cant complain now!! its time to cop on and stop pointing the finger at lads like joe dooley and maybe certain individuals on the team and instead get behind the team and wish them all the best in 2011....come on the faithful.....

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Sean, if you have noting to say then say......!
Offaly have made great strides? How? We could/should have been relegated and beaten by Antrim. Not Joe Dooley's fault?
We should have hammered Limerick and not end up hanging on for dear life? Not Joe Dooleys fault.
We were pathetic against Tipp.
We played well for about 75mins of the 2 games v Galway, ( will give him credit for that)
But overall our hurling has not moved on, and I fear he is not being helped by his 2 selectors either. What was he mulling over for the last 3 months? What has he stated to our county board are his objectives in improving our fortunes, what changes will he make to his backroom team? Has he been questioned at all on any of these?
I wish him and the team all the best and was behind them for all their games last year, but I suspect we will struglle big time this coming year and miss a great chance to develope.
Personally I would have a liked to see Ken Hogan get a chance, and I understand Joe has given great service as a player, but he is being well rewarded financially as Offaly manager, and that imo gives us the right to question even more!

daingabu
Junior C

Post by daingabu »

Dooley has done well but i was hoping for ken Hogan. He is a super trainer and motivator. could he still be brought in along with Dooley that would be some pairing???

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

daingabu wrote:Dooley has done well but i was hoping for ken Hogan. He is a super trainer and motivator. could he still be brought in along with Dooley that would be some pairing???
i would say Ken Hogan is keeping his eye on what liam sheedy is going to do next year.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Wasn't Ken Hogan appeoached or strongly rumoured to take over Offaly after John McIntyre in 1997 but they gave it to Babs instead?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I dunno about Ken Hogan, lads. He managed the Tipperary Seniors during the Noughties and won nothing. He had them in 2004 anyway - maybe 2005 as well, someone might confirm. I know people are looking at the Tipperary U21s, but look at the talent he had at his disposal. A bit like Pipsqueak with LIT.
Georgio1 wrote:Personally I would have a liked to see Ken Hogan get a chance, and I understand Joe has given great service as a player, but he is being well rewarded financially as Offaly manager, and that imo gives us the right to question even more!
townman wrote:i would say Ken Hogan is keeping his eye on what liam sheedy is going to do next year.
turk wrote:Wasn't Ken Hogan appeoached or strongly rumoured to take over Offaly after John McIntyre in 1997 but they gave it to Babs instead?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Dooley reappointed Offaly hurling boss

06 October 2010

Joe Dooley was ratified as Offaly hurling manager for a fourth year at last night's county board meeting in Tullamore.

The three-time All-Ireland winner had spent the last three months deliberating on his future, but has decided to commit to another season at the helm. It makes Dooley the county's longest serving manager since Eamonn Cregan, who stepped down in 1996 after four years at the helm.

Outgoing selectors Pat McLoughney and Brendan Kelly were also returned, while former Galway hurler Francis Forde has been added to the management set-up as a coach. An All-Ireland under 21 medalist in 1993, Forde was corner forward on the Galway team that captured the National League three years later.

Since taking over the reins from current Galway boss John McIntyre at the end of 2007, Dooley has overseen a revival in Offaly's fortunes and this summer they took Galway to a replay in the Leinster semi-final before losing to eventual All-Ireland champions Tipperary in the qualifiers.

(Taken from HS)

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Plain I am not sure if Hogan or anyone would come in and make fantasculous progress with the hurlers but I certainly think it is time for a change at this stage as we are treading water. I think the two you mentioned would have more potential. Or looking at it another way, would Joe Dooley have taken Waterford or Tipp U21s anywhere in the last few seasons? He may have, or may not, but the bar is moving higher every year.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I dunno about Ken Hogan, lads. He managed the Tipperary Seniors during the Noughties and won nothing. He had them in 2004 anyway - maybe 2005 as well, someone might confirm. I know people are looking at the Tipperary U21s, but look at the talent he had at his disposal. A bit like Pipsqueak with LIT.
Georgio1 wrote:Personally I would have a liked to see Ken Hogan get a chance, and I understand Joe has given great service as a player, but he is being well rewarded financially as Offaly manager, and that imo gives us the right to question even more!
townman wrote:i would say Ken Hogan is keeping his eye on what liam sheedy is going to do next year.
turk wrote:Wasn't Ken Hogan appeoached or strongly rumoured to take over Offaly after John McIntyre in 1997 but they gave it to Babs instead?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Hogan had it in the bag. However, when the news was leaked out to a local website, the deal was off!