Senior Hurling semi finals - 03/10/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Georgio1
All Star

Re: Senior Hurling semi finals - 03/10/2010

Post by Georgio1 »

I felt before the game that Tullamore would tie up the KK forwards and that was just about the case. Two great goal chances in the first half from Fletcher and Healion were crucial as Tullamore would not have the scoring power to come back from a 6/7 point deficit.
KK gave away some poor frees and how in the name of Whelehan is Joey Lynch playing senior hurling. Unbelievably stupid frees given away. Dooley showed his class from frees but will hardly get the same opportunities against Coolderry.
I didnt see who was involved or the incident, but the man who should not be let near a hurling pitch is "the Dinger". He had nothing major to do in both games and got many calls wrong. His time is finished and he let his ref down big time yesterday.

As regards the row, I think Keane was hard done by as the KK player definitely held him on the ground, the moron from the stand should have been taken away by stewards and given over to the guards, and when all is said and done there should have been more injury time played.

But well done to Tullamore, when they defeated Birr, I felt they would have enough for KK. I do feel Coolderry forwards and midfield will be too strong. Also the fact that Kevin Martin has so little hurling under his belt will be a factor too.

As for Ballinamere man, whats wrong with some chanting at the game? It certainly added to the drab atmosphere generally on show. A lot of people are quick to knock KK but they have been close over the last few years, ceertainly a lot closer than "Mearly men of Ballinamere Durrow. Hopefully ye dont bottle the Football final also!

concrete
Junior A

Post by concrete »

well done to coolderry and tullamore on their respective wins
coolderry will be hot favourites and i expect them to win the county final
didn't see the player responsible for the late tackle that led to the 1st sending off so won't comment on that
k/k lost their discipline nd shape in last 10-15 mins which cost them the game
fletcher scored few nice points but ger healion and james gorman were terrible inside, how their on the county panel i don't know
dooley was very quiet yesterday and will need to be on top form against coolderry if tullamore are to have any chance
the lad who joined the row from the stand should never be let near a gaa field again
tullamore don't score enough from play and this will cost them in the final
last point, k/k had 2-2 great goal chances in first half and missed them, one of them goes in and i think k/k go on and win

daingabu
Junior C

Post by daingabu »

As a neutral hurling supporter from Offaly yesterday i was very embarressed and even more so when i read these comments here today. I am a genuine hurling supporter and what i saw both on and off the pich yesterday was shocking. Firstly Tullamore deserved to win yesterday. They were the team that were able to finish it off yester and Kilcormac just could not do it. There are a few lovely hurlers on both sides and what went on took from otherwise was a close nail biting match - what a semi final should be. The county board need to look at themselves and appoint outside refs and linesmen. What went on was a disgrace in relation to the sending off. I do not know if the right or wrong man was sent off but if it was the wrong man i do feel sorry for him as he has been training all year. If it was him he deserved it as it was his 2nd yellow. K/K tackling left a good bit to be desired and they got away with it for the first 10 minutes of the game. They had taken the lead and could not push on. K/K can not blame anyone but themselves the way they carried on was embarrasing. Ger Healion most definately should have got the line and was very lucky with the yellow. If that was Tullamore 2 years ago they would have lowered to their level but the experience of the past 2 years stood to them. I have to say i admire the lads from Tullamore and was very impressed with a minor i think his name is Waters at half forward he scored two points. Also in relation to lone shark comments about Tullamore man getting involved in the 2nd brawl. I was right in front of it in the stand. It was pretty harmless i have to say and Sean Martin was right beside it and 1st instinct was to try break it up i dont know how that is a suspension??? A K/K mentor actually came in and shoved him away i do not know if that was also seen by you??. Another worrying thing for the safety of children and players etc is people coming in off the terrace and stand this is unacceptable. Tullamore fair play to them won fair and square and i wish them the best in the final. I was also appalled by the abuse and language of the k/k supporters beside me. Theylet their club down.

Looking forward to the final. Coolderry are a lovely well balanced team. they are well able to take their scores. they have been in hard luck in recent years but maybe now with Ken Hogan this could be their year. Buts lets look forward to a good HURLING match and nothing more.

Slan

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Firstly, were there any Gardaí inside O’Connor Park? I didn’t notice any. Surely with a crowd such as that a few would have been present. Or were they all in Ballinasloe? Ollie Baker could have done the job on his own, if required.

Secondly, I found it strange that the additional time (did they say injury time? – injuries?. What injuries?) was announced at the end of the Tullamore v K/K match. It wasn’t announced at half time and it wasn’t announced either at half-time of full time in the first match. I thought it odd, particularly since there wasn’t a fourth official present. After all, the subs were reporting to the referees with their pieces of paper.

That being the case, did the referee report the additional time? To who? That’s apart from the fact that it was grossly insufficient as everyone knows.

As for the matches themselves, Kinnitty might as well have been in bed. I thought they would lift their game for Coolderry, of all teams. Coolderry wasted no time putting them away and though they would probably have preferred a more testing semi-final, they could only beat what was put in front of them.

K/K made a most horrendous mistake of coming to Tullamore to start a row. Whatever way you beat Tullamore, dragging them, of all teams, into a brawl is not the approach to take. The late tackles were flying in from the start. I doubt they’d have taken that approach were John Leahy in charge. Coolderry won’t be so foolish.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Firstly, were there any Gardaí inside O’Connor Park? I didn’t notice any. Surely with a crowd such as that a few would have been present. Or were they all in Ballinasloe? Ollie Baker could have done the job on his own, if required.

Secondly, I found it strange that the additional time (did they say injury time? – injuries?. What injuries?) was announced at the end of the Tullamore v K/K match. It wasn’t announced at half time and it wasn’t announced either at half-time of full time in the first match. I thought it odd, particularly since there wasn’t a fourth official present. After all, the subs were reporting to the referees with their pieces of paper.
Where else would you find a major sporting event where a bloke can come down from his seat in the stand onto the pitch to throw a few haymakers and then stroll back up to his seat and watch the rest of the game? From where I was sitting (well standing to watch the brawl) the stewards appeared to show him back to his seat. You'd imagine its straight for the gates he should have been brought although I can understand the stewards not wanting to get a box in the face on a sunday afternoon for no thanks so they wisely left him alone! Strangest of all was when the children went down onto the pitch from the stand to get a look at the fighting.....strange and somewhat scary really.

As for the added time....well there clearly should have been 6 or 7 mins but I imagine the announcement was made to ensure everyone was aware of how much would be added and therefore give them one less reason to attack Cooke. He's not a bad chap or indeed a bad referee but he was sent up the river without a paddle by Walsh on the line!! It was comedy capers as the the two of them attempted to work out who should get a card for the late hit. By the way there were at least 2 Garda there from what I seen just before throw in of the first game.

Aweflee
Senior

Post by Aweflee »

concrete wrote:but ger healion and james gorman were terrible inside, how their on the county panel i don't know
Ger Healion did well with Offaly this year. James Gorman wasn't on the county panel.

Junior A

Post by 1964 »

well done to tullamore on reraching another county final fair play to ya lads. coolderry will be very hard bet in the final they looked fairly impressive vs kinnity who never turned up.

now to the ref situation he was completly out of his comfort zone. really dont think he was up to it cant understand how the county board give the semi finals to refs of this calibre. thought the 2 second red cards were harsh 2 lads rolling around on the ground no punchs been thrown. but obviously the brawl afterwards was serious and a few lads are lucky to stay on the pitch.

now lone shark as far as i could see sean martin just went into pull the 2 lads apart didnt see him throwig any punches so cant see him been suspended at all .by the way lone shark good to see ya tipped tullamore to win last week that must be a first :D :D :D :D

tullamore will be up against it in the final but these group of lads have shown great heart and determination. if we are within 3 or 4 points at half time and its a dog fight we will win.keep it nice and tight for the first 20 mins.

allez les blues

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

1964 wrote:
now lone shark as far as i could see sean martin just went into pull the 2 lads apart didnt see him throwig any punches so cant see him been suspended at all .by the way lone shark good to see ya tipped tullamore to win last week that must be a first :D :D :D :D
It was 13/8 for Tullamore to win in Boyles as well. I contemplated getting stuck into that too, but my luck has been toxic in the last few weeks so I said I'd pull the reins in. I've no qualms with tipping them, it just took me a while to get my head around the concept that the club have no interest in playing hurling unless it's old fashioned do or die stuff.

in fairness, even against Birr, while I thought Birr would win, I was the only published journo in the county to suggest that Tullamore had a chance and that it would be anything other than a Birr win pulling up - but then the subtleties of these things sometimes get lost.... :lol:

As regards Shaun (Seán??) Martin, I never said he threw a punch or anything like it. The fact remains he came in off the sideline to get involved in an on-field affair, thus raising the temperature of the whole thing. Mentors/Maors have no place on the field of play, much less to get involved in any brawls, even if it was in a United Nations capacity. You have to keep that line sacrosanct, and that's why I think the supporter should have been tossed into a cell and Martin should be getting a hefty ban. I agree that it won't happen though.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

Colm Cassidy also came onto the pitch during the brawl trying to pull lads away. He was also seen on still on the pitch after the brawl trying to get lads to calm down. Don't see much difference between him and Shaun. Should he get a ban too?

I completely agree with Gary Mannion. He was very lucky he wasn't spotted. He has a short fuse when things like this happen and can be a liability. Also Healion wasn't too shy bout using the hurl in the brawl as well, how he stayed on the pitch is beyond me.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

Also did anyone else hear the rumour about the sending off? I heard this off a few people Sunday night.

When dinger told the ref it was Lee who committed the foul, Pilkington went up to the dinger and said to him to send off anyone else just leave Lee on the pitch. Hence the lack of action when Lee was been shown the red. I don't know if it is true but after hearing it from more than one person it got me thinking. Easy to understand Slevins reaction if it is the case

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

ditchhurler wrote:Colm Cassidy also came onto the pitch during the brawl trying to pull lads away. He was also seen on still on the pitch after the brawl trying to get lads to calm down. Don't see much difference between him and Shaun. Should he get a ban too?
First man in from off the sideline is the one who sets the tone - makes all the difference in the world. Same as the third man in rule.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Lone Shark wrote:
ditchhurler wrote:Colm Cassidy also came onto the pitch during the brawl trying to pull lads away. He was also seen on still on the pitch after the brawl trying to get lads to calm down. Don't see much difference between him and Shaun. Should he get a ban too?
First man in from off the sideline is the one who sets the tone - makes all the difference in the world. Same as the third man in rule.
well if thats the case shaun martin and Eammon o'connor from K/K should get bans as they were the first to go in Martin went in to pull the K/K
player away from the tullamore man o'connor went over and push Martin away. Eamonn o'connor was in on the field for most of the second half
and the linesman should of done his job and put him back behind the line or over to the sub bench where he should of been.

as for the humour about johnny telling Dinger sent off who you like but not Lee i take as a joke or Bulls.it

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:
well if thats the case shaun martin and Eammon o'connor from K/K should get bans as they were the first to go in Martin went in to pull the K/K
player away from the tullamore man o'connor went over and push Martin away. Eamonn o'connor was in on the field for most of the second half
and the linesman should of done his job and put him back behind the line or over to the sub bench where he should of been.

as for the humour about johnny telling Dinger sent off who you like but not Lee i take as a joke or Bulls.it
I don't remember seeing that, but again, I'd stand by the view that first man in is the problem. If the two came in together, then certainly ban both. As for constant pitch incursions, I'm sure the county board won't be shy dishing out a ban for that.

daingabu
Junior C

Post by daingabu »

Lone Shark actually tipped Tullamore i am in shock!!! I never read his preview i gave up reading them months ago.

As for the incident. There are men coming in in every clubgame all over the country throwing punches and coming in for a fight. I have seen it in both adult and underage games. Martin came in to seperate a row so why should he be suspended? He didnt punch anyone or hit anyone.Heard he is a nice bloke and a true GAA man. A KK player was on top of Keane holding him to the ground. Lone shark if that was your team member being pinned to the ground would you stand back and look???? Or would you try and stop the row. There was always going to be a row after the ref could not take control of the game from the 1st whistle. I blame him and his linesmen officials. Glad to see Gavin has the final - a man with huge experience and cop on. One thing the county board have got right this year. The incident in the game that caused all the actions after was the ref and linesmans inconsistency in not being able to get a call right of who was the right man to send off.

Anyway All this talk about suspensions would ye all just look forward to a good final in 2 weeks time.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

There's a reason the GAA needs to be strong on the third man rule. I agree completely that there are rows and scraps in club games the whole time featuring non-players - and it's a plague on games that needs to be dealt with. The rule is there and rightly so. And to be honest, no, I wouldn't come in off the line to deal with a row on the field between two lads. The two of them were going at each other and it's for themselves or the referee to sort it out. I didn't realise it was as one sided as you make out, it looked to me as if the two lads were going at each other, but that's neither here nor there anyway.

As for Shaun Martin's credentials, I've never met the lad but I would have no reason to doubt you. That's not what this is about. You decide to suspend a player or not suspend a player based on what he has done, not who he is and how popular he is.