County senior hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Senior hurling championship round 5

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Is it just me, or is the group stage even more low-key than last year, even though 4 teams are being eliminated this year, as opposed to last year when none were being knocked out?

Anyway, one team will be eliminated on Saturday when the defending champions could crash out. And at the hands of last year’s Intermediate champions to boot. It could be a great day for Brosna Gaels, as their Juniors contest a Junior ‘B’ semi-final in the O’Connor Park curtain raiser. Think about it – five years ago the Brosna Gaels first team won that same Junior ‘B’ title.

Brosna are not without hope here and not just because Tullamore are stuttering. It’s not inconceivable that they could have beaten St. Rynagh’s had they not given ’Rynagh’s a five-goal start. Indeed, Brosna utterly dominated the second half. They’ll probably start with a new full-back line after Richard Fox was introduced shortly after half time the last day. Chris McDonald and Kevin Lynam form two-thirds of a formidable half-back line, Des Egan and Sean Hackett form a serious midfield. The forwards will see plenty of the ball and while Fergal Daly is a county panellist, Thomas Spain is a real prospect while Jason Devery and Alec Moony can take a score.

The concern is that their dominance over ’Rynagh’s came from their physical dominance, where ’Rynagh’s have a young team and many of them are physically light. Brosna won’t have that advantage over Tullamore, who have Nigel Mannion, James Keane, Shane Kelly, Francis Kerrigan, Shane Dooley and several others. Kevin Martin is back in the fold too. Stephen Egan returned from injury against Clareen – a big boost, although they seem to have broken up their half-back line, as Nigel Mannion partnered James Keane the last day. Granted, Brendan Dagg was missing and Ger Treacy is a long term casualty, but they’d be better off if they kept the changes to a minimum.

On the basis of their greater physical strength and having more hurlers who can take a score – St. Rynagh’s don’t have a Shane Dooley – I’d expect Tullamore to prevail for now.

Elsewhere, though it’s not an eliminator, The Coolderry v Clareen clash catches the eye. Clareen hit form against Tullamore and while Joseph Bergin hit the headlines for scoring 0-15 (0-6 from play), that the others contributed 2-12 was more noteworthy in my view. They’ve did this before, last year when they hammered Shamrocks, scoring something like 1-23, but they should have beaten Kilcormac the next day but were caught with a last minute goal, and though they drew again in the replay, Clareen were beaten in extra time. Clareen would be a real prospect if they were more consistent and with revenge for the recent U21 final a possibility, they could make a real mark by beating Coolderry.

Coolderry should make the semi-final anyway, but they need to find a run of form soon if they are to go beyond that stage. They were poor against Lusmagh, though they were never in any danger of losing. Kevin Connolly and Michael Ryan would add some dash were they to be started but Brian Carroll would be a doubt with a shoulder injury. Still, Coolderry really need to perform here if they are to make a statement, and they were beaten by Clareen last year. It’s hard to know how this will go and I think there will be a bit of an edge to this. Maybe Clareen to make a statement of consistency?

There have been some memorable Shannonside derbies over the last 30 years so a low-key Lusmagh-’Rynagh’s clash is unusual. ’Rynagh’s are better than they demonstrated against Brosna Gaels – they certainly would be a different prospect with leaders like Diarmuid Horan and Conor Hernon returned.

Like ’Rynagh’s, Lusmagh have a young team, and between the two of them, six of the Banagher College side should line out. Still, the statement in the paper stating that they’d like to choose the referee, if you please, showed a lack of focus. They look destined to face Belmont in the relegation series, and though playing the match in Banagher won’t discommode them, it’s difficult to see them getting over the line here.

Kinnitty, too, would need to show a bit of form when they face Belmont. Kinnitty should win, but they’re blowing more cold than hot this autumn. Stephen Molloy would be a loss were he to be unavailable again, and this is the kind of game where he could prosper.

Elsewhere, Birr will beat Shinrone and Kilcormac will beat Shamrocks, both by what they like.

As for the permutations, we can take it Birr, Kinnitty and Kilcormac will all win in their group and if K/K don’t make up a 10 point scoring deficit then they will finish in that order.
The other group is more ‘volatile’. ’Rynagh’s will finish second if they win and Clareen don’t, while if they both attain similar results, Clareen have a nine-points scoring difference advantage.
I’s say it will be Birr v Tullamore, Coolderry v Shinrone, Clareen v Kilcormac (if Clareen beat Coolderry) and ’Rynagh’s v Kinnitty, with the latter two reversed if Coolderry prevail against Clareen.

Finally, there’s one eliminator in the IHC tomorrow (Friday) night when Carrig take on neighbours Birr in Moystown. While I’ve no problem with Birr, it would be great to see a rural club like Carrig advance. They might, too, if Ger Oakley can drive them on. Ballinamere, Clara, Killurin, Kilcormac, ’Rynagh’s, Drumcullen and Coolderry are already safely through.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Re: County senior hurling championship

Post by ditchhurler »

Tullamore 1-14 Brosna Gaels 1-9

Well the "whites" got through a tough game against the Geals. Tullamore upped it tin the second half but the 5 point win does flatter them. Game was marred by massive brawl just before the end. Richard Fox pulled across Kevin Martin ribs off the ball and both teams and sidelines piled into each other. Tony Carroll had no option but to send off the 2 players that started it but in all honesty could have sent off any amount of players although the Brosna goalie could consider himself lucky not to go for been the third man in. I can't understand why Fox did what he did as he was probably the best player on the pitch. Martin won the first ball between them, then never pucked a ball after.

Brosnas best players were Fox, the keeper who made a string of excellent saves and no. 12 Devery. Tullamore best were prob Shane Kelly and Jody Duffy, who scored an inpirational point mid way through the second half.

I'd safely say Fox will get at least 3 months, Martin will get 1 Alo Lalor and one of the Gaels selectors could see a lengthly ban after their camoeos in the row. Overall poor quality game but the second half was exciting just Tuillamore had an extra bit of class to get over the line

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Shane Dooley's wonder goal 13 mins from time was the game turner, at that stage it was 1.8 to 0.9 in favour of gaels with Alec Mooney getting Brosna's goal early in the second half, the blues pulled away comfortably in the end but they they will have to up their game big time to trouble Birr who will be on a revenge mission after last year.
I must say the incident at the end was crazy, Richard Fox who is one of the cleanest players around lost the plot and creased Kevin Martin with the hurl across the chest, Martin of course retaliated and all hell broke loose, even a couple of dipsticks came out of the crowd to join the fun, Fox didn't cover himself in glory after being sent off by waving to the Brosna supporters who gave him a round of applause but then again some of the abuse that he got from some Tullamore people wasn't called for either, things got a little hairy on the terrace between opposing supporters at the final whistle, all it would have taken would be for one guy to start throwing punches to start a riot, luckily common sense prevailed :D

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Who was the gaels selector that got to know Alo Lawlor a bit better. It apparently got very hot and heavy between the two. Will they face disciplinary action or was there involvement noted by officials?

I heard it got very hairy in the stands alright with some supporters getting very abusive.

black and red exile
All Star

Whatever about the stands the terrace certainly got hairy, I made a comment about Richard Fox not normally being the kind of guy to pull a hurl like that and by jaysus before I knew it I was surrounded by very angry Blues supporters who let me know in no uncertain terms what they thought of the same Mr Fox and what they thought of me for suggesting such a thing. PHEW :shock:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

With the group stages of the Senior, Intermediate & Junior now complete, it looks to me like the quarter final lineups are as follows:-

Senior: Birr v Tullamore, Coolderry v Shinrone, 'Rynagh's v Kinnitty and K/K v Clareen.

Intermediate: Ballinamere v Coolderry, Clara v 'Rynagh's, Killurin v K/K and Drumcullen v Birr.

Junior: K/K v Drumcullen, Belmont v Edenderry, Ballinamere v Kinnitty and Raheen v Birr.

That's how it looks to me, taken from the tables on the county board site. Please point it out if I've mis-read any of the tables.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

black and red exile wrote:Whatever about the stands the terrace certainly got hairy, I made a comment about Richard Fox not normally being the kind of guy to pull a hurl like that and by jaysus before I knew it I was surrounded by very angry Blues supporters who let me know in no uncertain terms what they thought of the same Mr Fox and what they thought of me for suggesting such a thing. PHEW :shock:
If any tullamore players get a ban it will give us Birr a chance to beat the champions tullamore in the next round an get revenge for last year
or was it just kevin martin who got sent off.

black and red exile
All Star

Leinsterman it was only Kevin Martin who was sent off along with Fox but in fairness about 10 from each side could have marched but apart from that I just can't see Tullamore turning over Birr for a second year in a row, they are too weak in too many positions to go all the way again, last year they took everybody by surprise but now I'm convinced the likes of Birr, KK, Clareen or Coolderry will have their number, Birr especially look to be on a mission this year and I can see them beating the blues with a bit to spare to be honest.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

black and red exile wrote:Leinsterman it was only Kevin Martin who was sent off along with Fox but in fairness about 10 from each side could have marched but apart from that I just can't see Tullamore turning over Birr for a second year in a row, they are too weak in too many positions to go all the way again, last year they took everybody by surprise but now I'm convinced the likes of Birr, KK, Clareen or Coolderry will have their number, Birr especially look to be on a mission this year and I can see them beating the blues with a bit to spare to be honest.
Tullamore are the county champions and they won't give it up to handy again Birr, they will be underdogs again.
Birr will have to play well to beat them, saying that with paul murphy and Daithi Regan freshing things up this
year can't see tullamore beating us this but i said the same last year.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

black and red exile wrote:Whatever about the stands the terrace certainly got hairy, I made a comment about Richard Fox not normally being the kind of guy to pull a hurl like that and by jaysus before I knew it I was surrounded by very angry Blues supporters who let me know in no uncertain terms what they thought of the same Mr Fox and what they thought of me for suggesting such a thing. PHEW :shock:
well theres one thing i do know the martins are well able to look after them selfs they were tough cookies in their day :wink:

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Tullamore havent a hope against Birr this year. They will have football next weekend and all focus will be on that so no hurling this week whatsoever for a number of players while Birr will be getting in some great sessions. It just is not possible to compete with a schedule like that. I would like to see Tullamore rise to the challenge again as last year was a breath of fresh air but its not going to happen. Birr to win comfortably.

The interesting game of the quarter finals for me would be KK vs Clareen. Will KK finally get a bit off bottle and drive on this year. They as everybody knows are well capable of showing this Clareen team the door. Id expect alot of hairy incidents. Clareen have alot to prove as theres been so much talk about these great u21 Clareen teams over the last number of years. As yet they have not lived up to the hype about them and were humiliated by Brosna gaels. They really didnt take that loss too well down there. This is the game to get to id expect. Two teams with a huge amount of pressure on them to deliver.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Time to Play the Music

Serious business now. The month teams have aimed to peak for has arrived. Quarter-final weekend. Regardless whether they began training in January snow or didn’t do much until the summer. Like the theme tune to The Muppet Show, it’s time to play the music, time to dress up right. Time to take a chance on a key player who is carrying an injury.

CLAREEN V KILCORMAC-KILLOUGHEY
The winner of this could well go on to take home the title. They’ve quite a rivalry building up, not alone having drawn twice at this stage last year, K-K winning the replay in extra time, but they’ve also met in two U21 finals, both winning one. Quite a number of those U21s have graduated to Senior. These two could well dominate the Teenies between them.

Both are dogged by inconsistency. We never know which K-K will turn up, while Clareen mix the sublime with the awful on the same match. Trevor Fletcher has been a big addition to the K-K attack, scoring freely. They’re still reshuffling their defence and it’s hard to see Brian leonard as a full-back, whatever else he may be.

James Mulrooney should be back for Clareen, a big boost. Seán Coughlan has been hurling mighty in defence. This is a crucial match, as whoever wins will hold a considerable edge over the other into next year and beyond. The battle between Ger Healion and Éanna Murphy will probably swing it, while to a lesser extent so will the match-up between Peter Healion and Joseph Bergin. On that basis, K-K might just advance.

TULLAMORE V BIRR
Simple really. On all known form Birr should win with something to spare. And yet, Tullamore had their title-winning defensive sextet back in situ for the Brosna Gaels match for the first time since last November. That will be worth a few points to them, and they won’t lack belief anyway. On the other hand Kevin Martin is suspended; they’ll need Francis Kerrigan back hurling well – James Keane too.

No doubt Birr have eyed this date for almost twelve months now. They’ve injuries though, Rory Hanniffy would be on schedule to return, though Seán Ryan sustaining a hamstring injury playing football reduces options. Dylan Hayden has been in superb scoring form all year, though he may well be markid by Stephen Egan. Hard to know what to read into their stuttering last time out against Shinrone – probably best to read nothing into it. All the evidence points to a Birr win.

COOLDERRY V SHINRONE
Neighbours who don’t often meet at this level, though Shinrone’s greatest day came against Coolderry, when they beat them in the 1960 semi-final – their only Final appearance.

Coolderry have stuttered along since the championship resumed, though that wouldn’t single them out from any others – far from it. Kevin Brady reverted to wing-back against Clareen last time out, his best position where he can have most influence on the game. Barry Teehan was centre-forward last time out though it’s difficult to see how he would get on with his back to goal. Michael Ryan and Kevin Connolly bring a new dimension to the attack though they may need to take a chance on Brian Carroll, who’s carrying a shoulder injury.

It’s difficult to see Shinrone carrying enough belief to carry the day here. Defensively they’re sound but four Minors in the attack is two too many. Coolderry to advance, but not by as much as last year.

KINNITTY V ST. RYNAGH’S
Two clubs who have stumbled into the quarter-finals. I’ll give Kinnitty the benefit of the doubt and read nothing into their defeat to Belmont. That said, if playing James Rigney at full-back made little sense them playing him at midfield (where he started against Belmont) made none at all. Best put him centre-back, put Colm Coughlan midfield and call it quits.

Among the St Rynagh’s problems is that they are quite lightweight, which resulted in them losing the initiative against Brosna Gaels. Cathal Horan has carried them from centre-back all year, and he may well do so again, but if James Rigney gets the better of Declan Tanner, and he will, they ’Rynagh’s goose is well done. It won’t be awe-inspiring though.

The relegation semi-finals also take place on Saturday. Richard Fox will be a big loss to Brosna who are on their third goalkeeper in six matches. That might swing it Shamrocks’ way. Lusmagh have lost four matches by margins of 2, 5, 4 and 1 point. Only Coolderry, Birr, Kinnitty & K-K have conceded less; trouble is only Shamrocks have scored less. Belmont’s win over KInnitty might not be the ideal result for them (Belmont) either. Lusmagh to finally get that elusive win.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

Tullamore beat Birr again! Francie Kerrigan with the last puck of the game send Birr packing... In fairness Birr hit a lot of wides but so did Tullamore but the blues never gave up and sheer fight and determination got them through. I think it proves last year was no fluke! Come on the super blues!!!

In the other game K/K won by 3.

Junior A

the blues are on the road again

Post by 1964 »

great result for the super blues . fair play lads ye showed real character ye are a credit to each other. lone shark eats his words AGAIN when it comes to underestimating tullamore. maybe now that tullamore team will get the credit they deserve grinding out a result that was jaysus brilliant. is the double on???

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Lusmagh scraped through V Belmont in the relegation semi in Moystown in controversial circumstances
Belmont were good value for a seven poiny half time lead having played with a stiff breeze.
The second half seen a big improvement from the reds getting Two goals to pull back Belmont.
However Belmont were hanging on by a point as full time approached.

Step forward Declan Cooke.

A free for Lusmagh landed around the square and was gathered by David Moran. Moran's progress was blocked and Cooke blows long and hard on his whistle which indicated he was going to give a penalty. As he stops blowing, Moran kicks the ball to the net.
Cooke then runs in to the 21 and tells his umpire to wave the flag (like Sludden in Croke Park).
If the penalty had stood would Eoin Kelly have gone for goal or tapped it over? That is anyones guess, but what is undeniable is that the referee did not apply the rules correctly.
The game is restarted and finishes about a minute later with numerous protests being made to Cooke (I must add that they were non violent)

P.S.
I wonder will Lusmagh selector Ronnie Byrne give an interview this Monday to the tribune on the state of refereeing in the County
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean