Offaly vs Tipperary SHC Qualifier Phase 3 17/07/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Offaly vs Tipperary SHC Qualifier Phase 3 17/07/2010

Post by Offaly2010 »

Tough one lads but I think we will improve over the week in training and give Tipp a right go on Sunday. They needed a last minute Seamus Callanan goal in the league fixture back in April in Tullamore to beat us by a point on a scoreline of 1-18 - 2-14,if I remember correctly.

That day in April Tipp had a very strong team out and Offaly should have beat them. Liam Sheedy,that day,named the likes of Pauric Maher,Conor O'Mahony,Shane McGrath,Seamus Callanan and Eoin Kelly in his starting line up.

Think Portlaoise will suit us as we have the benefit of a Championship match there already this year,just two weeks ago. Not sure the last time Tipp played a Championship match there but it wasn't of most recent times and I think this could be an advantage for our lads.

Lone Shark pointed out in the fixtures thread that Dan Currams should be available for this one after his four week suspension and will be interesting to see if Parlon can hold his place. I think he should hold his place because he gave a decent performance Saturday evening and scored five points,but if he doesn't hold his place I think Brian Carroll should be moved inside to 13 and Currams should be started at 10. This would be the only change I would make if Parlon doesn't hold his place.

This is going to be very tough lads,they weren't in the All-Ireland Final last year for nothing. As we seen against Galway on both occasions Offaly can now put it up to 'big boys' again. Lets hope Offaly perform like they did against Galway and you never know..we could be heading back to Croke Park the following weekend for an All-Ireland Quarter Final!

Up Offaly! :D

Heshs Umpire
County player

Re: Offaly vs Tipperary SHC Qualifier Phase 3 17/07/2010

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Offaly2010 wrote:Think Portlaoise will suit us as we have the benefit of a Championship match there already this year,just two weeks ago. Not sure the last time Tipp played a Championship match there but it wasn't of most recent times and I think this could be an advantage for our lads.
2003 I'd say. Hammered Laois out the gate. Beat Offaly there in 2002 I think too.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

lads tipp are ten times better than Galway fair enough they won the league this year but tipp bet them well in thurles i think Galway only got a point
in the second half in that game. if offaly are to win they will have to hurl there best ever 70 minutes from this team tipp are still the second best team
in ireland.

look what kilkenny done to Galway in the leinster final they didn't have to get out of second gear to win it, if offaly have one of there slow starts or play
like they did again limerick tipp will put us away bye half time if they get a big lead like galway did they won't let us back into the game,

i hope and pray that offaly go out and give tipp a good rattle and we beat them we never have beating them in senior champonship but there is a first time
for everything. there will be no room for passengers next sunday it will take an unreal effort from offaly to take tipp but it will be as good as a allireland if we do. :P

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Memorable Milestones involving Tipp and Offaly
13 July 2010

There have been plenty of hurling milestones where Tipperary and Offaly have been involved.

1953 - All Ireland Junior Hurling 'Home' Final. Tipperary 1-7, Offaly 1-2 at Birr, 13th September. Mick Kenny was the Tipperary Captain.

1966 - NHL at Birr - Offaly's first league win over Tipperary 3-13 to 2-7, 20th November.

1971 - 19th December at Birr - Roscrea (Tipperary) beat St Rynagh's (Offaly) in the first All-Ireland Club Final. Donie Moloney was the winning captain.

1980 - NHL at Thurles - Offaly's first league win over Tipperary on Tipp soil, 7th December. 0-13 to 1-7.

1987 - All Ireland MHC Final at Croke Park - Offaly retain their title beating Tipperary by 2-8 to 0-12. 6th September.

1988 - NHL Final at Croke Park. Tipperary 3-15, Offaly 2-9. 24th April. Attendance was 33,000 plus.

1989 - All Ireland Under 21 Hurling Final at Portlaoise - Tipperary 4-10, Offaly 3-11. Over 30,000 spectators witnessed one of the great finals on 10th September.

1997 - John McIntyre (Lorrha) manages Offaly. They beat Tipp on 9th March in the opening round of the NHL, at Nenagh, 2-14 to 1-15.

1998 - Michael 'Babs' Keating manages Offaly but departs after losing the Leinster Final to Kilkenny. They subsequently 'bond' and after playing Clare three times they become the first county to lose a provincial decider and win the All Ireland, exacting revenge on Kilkenny.

2002 - Tipperary beat Offaly in the All Ireland Qualifier at Portlaoise on 13th July 2-19 to 1-9. Yet another Tipp man (Fr Tom Fogarty) was in charge of Offaly.

2003 - Tipperary beat Offaly in the All Ireland Quarter Final at Croke Park by 2-16 to 2-11 on 27th July.

2005-2007 - John McIntyre has his second term as Offaly manager.

2007 - Tipperary beat Offaly in the All Ireland Qualifier at Semple Stadium by 2-17 to 2-13 on June 30th.

(taken from HS)

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

I maybe wrong but I recall a match where we bet Tipp in a national league Semi Final in 1991 down in the Gaelic grounds in Limerick, it was the begining of that team from 90s!

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Superted wrote:I maybe wrong but I recall a match where we bet Tipp in a national league Semi Final in 1991 down in the Gaelic grounds in Limerick, it was the begining of that team from 90s!
Right you are Superted!!

According to gaa.ie, Offaly beat Tipp by 1-7 to 0-7 in Limerick on the 28th April 1991!!

http://gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/historical-results/
Keep The Faith

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

I was thinking that!, Joachim Kelly and a young Johnny Dooley had fantastic performances!
Sunday will be a close contest!

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Superted wrote:Sunday will be a close contest!
It will be if Offaly perform to the best of their ability!

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Does that inflatable Shark still go to the matches? i never see it!

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

By all accounts Offaly have a full deck to play with on Sunday so the team I'd like to see selected is

1. James Dempsey
2. Stephen Egan
3. Paul Cleary
4. David Franks
5. James Rigney
6. David Kenny
7. Derek Morkam
8. Brendan Murphy
9. Rory Hannify
10. Brian Carroll
11. Joe Brady
12. Derek Molloy
13. Shane Dooley
14. Joe Bergin
15. Cathal Parlon

And hopefully the endless rotation of the forwards will cease or at least slow down a bit. Lads need 20 minutes to settle into their positions and should be afforded that. If a lad isn't going well then it's time for the sideline and not a series of positional changes that disrupt the balance of the team and would posssibly see a player who is doing well in a certian position being moved from there which I have seen this management team do on numerous occasions.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Kinnityman I think that would be Offaly's best team too. Hanniffy is a good centre back in my opinion but he's more useful to Offaly at midfield. He's better than either Shane McGrath or Brendan Maher and we need the likes of him taking the game to Tipp. Himself and Murphy also form an effective partnership. Will managment be willling to leave Hayden off though? I believe they should as subs have become increasingly important in GAA in recent years. We could do with the likes of Hayden, Kealey, Healion and Verney on the bench in case we need to freshen things up. I would aslo like to see Kenny on Lar Corbett wherever he goes. Cleary just doesn't have the pace for this speed merchant and you can be guaranteed Tipp will try and isolate him on Cleary in the first 15 minutes in an effort to kill the game early.

Up Offaly!

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Dooley envious of his players

14 July 2010

Joe Dooley admits he would love to have met Tipperary in championship hurling during his own playing career.

Incredibly, Dooley never faced Tipp in the championship during an illustrious inter-county career which spanned 17 years and included three All-Ireland successes.

"They're a great hurling county," the Offaly manager told the Irish Daily Mirror ahead of Sunday's All-Ireland qualifier at Portlaoise.

"You'd have loved to have played against Tipp in the championship. Tipp are probably the second favourites to win the All-Ireland even still, after Kilkenny. The positives you can draw is how well we played against Galway."

Dooley will be able to call on Daniel Currams after he served a controversial four-week suspension, while corner backs Stephen Egan and Michael Verney will also be available for selection

(taken from HS)

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Interesting that Tipperary U21s (with quite a few Senior starters) were forced to go to extra-time against Cork this evening. There'll be plenty of lactic acid to be dealt with in the Tip'rary camp after that. Hmm hmmm.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

According to someone on HS admission prices for Offaly vs Tipp is €25 for Stand and €20 for Terrace. IMO thats a bit stiff considering we only had to pay €20 for Stand and €15 for Terrace last Saturday in OCP for two games! :?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ultimately, success in sport is measured by results. Nothing else. This Offaly team have been knocking on the door for a few years now and have been turned away every time. On Sunday they have a great chance of finally bursting through that door and taking a notable scalp.

Three years ago Offaly stared a great chance of beating Tipperary in a low-key qualifier in Thurles but baulked in the final run-in, missed a plethora of chances and fell short. Tipperary were there for the taking, only a week after losing to Limerick in a second replay. Remember how we all felt after that? Undoubtedly the sickest we’ve felt at a match throughout the whole of the last decade. Oh, and Haverty refereed that day too!

Yes, Tipperary have moved on from that and are performing much better under the current management. But so are Offaly. Back then, David Kenny, Paul Cleary, Derek Molloy & Joseph Bergin were U21, and ten days earlier they had beaten the home side’s U21s on a memorable night in Kilkenny. James Dempsey, Shane Dooley, James Rigney & Derek Morkan are big additions too. That said, we’d know alot more about where Offaly stand in the order of progression if we knew how good Galway really are.

At some point in a team’s progression, the big chance of a real breakthrough comes. The 1980s team’s big chance came in the 1980 Leinster final and they grabbed that chance with both hands. Had they come up short that day it’s possible Offaly would still be waiting for a first win over Kilkenny. Note how Westmeath footballers grabbed their chance in 2004 while Limerick’s footballers fell short the same year and will probably never now beat Kerry.

The consensus among Offaly and Tipperary folk leaving Thurles that June Saturday in 2007 was that Offaly had blown their chance and would never have as good a chance to beat Tipperary. No doubt Tipperary still believe that, and Offaly’s capitulation to the same opposition in the final round of the NHL will reinforce that.

Offaly’s chance of a breakthrough is now. They’re currently hurling well enough and if they can avoid succumbing to an early Tipperary onslaught I think they’ll clinch it in stoppage time. Lord knows, they need it.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.