Offaly vs Tipperary SHC Qualifier Phase 3 17/07/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
first_touch
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Tipperary SHC Qualifier Phase 3 17/07/2010

Post by first_touch »

Fierce disapppointing today. Im afraid we were beaten before the game started. We were never going to win with the way the team lined out. Why on earth was David Kenny (one of the best full backs in Ireland) played at wing back? And Rory Hanniffy centre back? Hanniffy was hugely missed at midfield and Kenny was totally ineffective on the wing. I can understand bringing James Rigney from wing back to the corner in an effort to curb kelly or McGrath. But surely someone like Kevin Brady could have been slotted in at wing back, and there would have been no need for all the other positional switches.

Hurling is a simple game. Surely its not rocket science to play your best players in their best positions. The ploy of playing a two man full forward line totally backfired. Joe Bergin, the only forward who posed a threat, was surrounded by two men every time the ball came his way.

Messing with team selection meant we never got into any sort of rhythm like we did against Galway. Negative tactics gave the impression - to both the opposition and Offaly players themselves - that management didnt really feel we had a chance. Im not saying we would have won but at least we could have given Tipp a hard game had the approach been more positive.

Faithfulforever
Junior B

Post by Faithfulforever »

Poor display by Offaly, were completely out-hurled in nearly every position on the field, agree with what is being said about the Tipp supporters, worst crowd ever, their arrogance is unreal!

Can anyone tell me what Kevin Brady got sent off for? we were on the terrace so didnt have a good view of it and they didnt show it on the sunday game either. all they said was that it was for an off the ball incident.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Brady went in for a throw ball with either David Young or Shane McGrath(not sure but it was one of them anyway because of the yellow helmet) and first time around both lads missed the ball but second time around Brady completely missed the ball and actually broke his hurl off the Tipp lad's leg.
Not sure it was a red card..I thought he was going for the ball but the referee thought otherwise. Didn't really matter, the game was over at that stage anyway.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Bit dissapointed today, but more angry than dissapointed, every single one of the forwards didnt turn up yesterday which was most dissapointing, our backline was actually very good, beat ball time and time again down to the forwards but may aswell have been hitting it against a wall

I think Joe Bergin and Shane Dooley need to be taught hurling 101, get out in front of your man and win the f#cking thing, how many intercounty full or corner backs are going to miss the ball???

Rory Hanniffy was immense, Il argue with anyone in the county that says he is not our best centre back, cleaned up time and time again in the first half, anything that dropped inevitably fell into his hands.

With the strong wind Midfield was bypassed time and time again so it would have been folly to place him out there.

Offaly need to get a few more workers into the forward line, a few guys like Niall McCarthy for Cork, Pathrick Maher from Tipp who just work hard for the team

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

Ultimately what cost us the game was our wide count in the first half (9 to Tipp’s 4) we ended up 9 behind at half time against a 5 or 6 point wind. Some of them were bad wides of “groan” proportion. With that type of a lead at half time Tipp were never sucked into a battle, the Offaly supporters who were in the majority were nullified and Tipps experienced players eased them over the finishing line.

For what its worth I think Rory at 6 is a no brainer. David Kenny is a class hurler but Rory hurls that position across the half line with a bit more ease.

Kevin Brady’s sending off was utterly predictable. He is prone to flaking boys when the ball is “there to be pulled on” and when he gets frustrated. It had zero impact on the result and it was a deserved red card IMO. Who knows if he had done it sooner we might have been better off as we outscored them with 14 men!
Efan :)

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Efan wrote:Ultimately what cost us the game was our wide count in the first half (9 to Tipp’s 4) we ended up 9 behind at half time against a 5 or 6 point wind. Some of them were bad wides of “groan” proportion. With that type of a lead at half time Tipp were never sucked into a battle, the Offaly supporters who were in the majority were nullified and Tipps experienced players eased them over the finishing line.
That pretty much sums it up.

A frustrating and ultimately disappointing day. I wouldn't be too critical, too despondent however. One of those days where things didn't work out for us against better skilled, better drilled opponents. These things happen.

The loosing of it was in our half forward line who, to put it mildly, were cleaned by their opponents. This was a worry prior to throw in and, to be fair, that Tipp half back line looks an impressive unit. Tipp completely dominated play in that area, everything from high ball, low ball, breaking ball, help from their midfield - you name it. Compared to Offaly they just looked a much better trained, well drilled unit. They seemed to have a system for all possibilities; e.g if Conor O'Mahony batted it down there was a midfielder waiting, if he caught it and had to back pedal there was always one if not two colleagues offering themselves for the handpass. Brutal efficiency, it doesn't happen by accident. Our half fowards and midfield had no answer to it, even under our own puckout. Our defence, which by and large played well, must have felt as if they were clearing the ball against a brick wall at some stages. And then when our forwards did somehow manage get their hands on the ball, they were denied the space to do anything with it

The first half wides killed us. Without doing anything special, Tipp built up a commanding lead through impressive point taking. Impressive in that some of the scores were excellent but also for the spread of scores (was it eight different Tipp players that scored in the first half?). Compared to a Offaly, Tipperary's point taking form 40+ yards was much much better. Miles better really. Of Offaly's starting six forwards, only Joe Bergin could be said to have had a decent game, particularly in the first half. The jig was up after 10 minutes of the second half when Offaly couldn't net the early goal needed to kick start a miracle. After that the game petered out insignificantly.

I do however have significant issues with the management and the picking of yesterdays team.
Rory Hanniffy was immense yesterday, no denying it. Offaly's best performer. Look closer though and it's not all good. Firstly, David Kenny is wasted on the wing and is not a natural wing back. Secondly, our midfield came off second best. Thirdly, Rigney is much more effective on the wing (see first Galway game). That's a lot of utterly unnecessary disruption and sub-optimal performances just to accomodate Rory at center, especially when we already have an excellent centre back in David Kenny.

My argument therefore ,which I have repeated to death on other threads, is that Rory Hanniffy is needed at midfield, where he consistently does his best hurling for club and county. David Kenny meanwhile should be centre back. Get the Rigney, Kenny, Del, Murphy, Hanniffy axis set up and build the team from there. Best players in best positions. Simple really.

As for the sending off - deserved. The culprit was no surprise. That makes three red cards for Offaly this year from five championship games.

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

i detect sour grapes from sone people here... people giving out about tipp supporters.... the offaly supporters should have a look at themselves first... i mean the landuage of some of the offaly supporters today was unreal... the comments they were making towards the reff made the louth supporters look like angels... from before the throw in the was a group of offaly supporters in front of us who were obviously in the pub all day and were very verbal about what they were going to to to tipp today... these supporters had no intrest in the game and i feel that they let themselves and their county down... if i was an offaly man today i would be ashamed.... there is no need for people or carry on like that in the gaa...i know not all offaly fans are thick and ignorant but most of them are...

now on to what really matters the hurling.... it was hard to hurl in the condititions yesterday... offaly from the start used very negative tactics... in the first half you had offaly players dropping like flies aroung the pitch to try and waste time.... the goal keeper was also taking and etirnity to puck out the ball to try and waste time also.... the reff was wise to this and at least 2 if not 3 times told the offaly medical staff to get off the pitch and the offaly player to get up... offaly then tried to play a negative defensive game by dropping one of their forwards into the half back line... why is this???? have they no confidence in the players they have to win their own positions????

i am as disapointed as anyone that offaly are not at hurlings top table... i have said it before that i would love offaly hurling to improuve and at least be able to compete with the munster teams and the cats.... it is a long way off this however.... the offaly hurlers should stand back at think about their furute... there is no decent under age hurler coming through in the county hense the hiding the cats gave yee in the minor...i do not agree however with what some of the offaly supporters were saying yesterday about offaly hurling been finished... i think yee could have a great future in the christry ring or nicky rackard competitions.. at this level offaly could compete with the leitrims and longfords of this world...

anyway yee can look forward to a good club championship as both your hurlers and footballers are finished for another year...

tiobraid arann abu... :D

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

TT25 - give up the attempted sarcasm. You're very bad at it, and are serving to reinforce the image previously posted by others above.

On second thoughts - keep it up. We're happiest when we dont like you lot.
----------------------------
Anyone get a clear view on the latest Umpiring Cockup? I thought it was a point myself, but the brother beside me thought it was wide. It's a pity RTE didn't show the two umpires giving different signals at the same time.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

tipptopper25 wrote:i detect sour grapes from sone people here... people giving out about tipp supporters.... the offaly supporters should have a look at themselves first... i mean the landuage of some of the offaly supporters today was unreal... the comments they were making towards the reff made the louth supporters look like angels... from before the throw in the was a group of offaly supporters in front of us who were obviously in the pub all day and were very verbal about what they were going to to to tipp today... these supporters had no intrest in the game and i feel that they let themselves and their county down... if i was an offaly man today i would be ashamed.... there is no need for people or carry on like that in the gaa...i know not all offaly fans are thick and ignorant but most of them are...

now on to what really matters the hurling.... it was hard to hurl in the condititions yesterday... offaly from the start used very negative tactics... in the first half you had offaly players dropping like flies aroung the pitch to try and waste time.... the goal keeper was also taking and etirnity to puck out the ball to try and waste time also.... the reff was wise to this and at least 2 if not 3 times told the offaly medical staff to get off the pitch and the offaly player to get up... offaly then tried to play a negative defensive game by dropping one of their forwards into the half back line... why is this???? have they no confidence in the players they have to win their own positions????

i am as disapointed as anyone that offaly are not at hurlings top table... i have said it before that i would love offaly hurling to improuve and at least be able to compete with the munster teams and the cats.... it is a long way off this however.... the offaly hurlers should stand back at think about their furute... there is no decent under age hurler coming through in the county hense the hiding the cats gave yee in the minor...i do not agree however with what some of the offaly supporters were saying yesterday about offaly hurling been finished... i think yee could have a great future in the christry ring or nicky rackard competitions.. at this level offaly could compete with the leitrims and longfords of this world...

anyway yee can look forward to a good club championship as both your hurlers and footballers are finished for another year...

tiobraid arann abu... :D
Get out of here will you, an absolute pointless post from an arrogant Tipp fan. I wouldn't be bothered to reply to any of your points because they are ridiculous.

However, don't even try and compare yerselves or any munster teams to the Cats, Kilkenny are a class apart. And to think I wouldnt have been over-bothered If Tipp had won the All-Ireland last year, well I'm now very thankful Kilkenny won it. And I sincerly hope they go on and do their 5 in a row.

As The Biff said in his previous post, we're happiest when we don't like you lot and that was certainly underlined after yesterday.
Keep The Faith

mckr
Junior C

Post by mckr »

{quote="tipptopper25"]i detect sour grapes from sone people here... people giving out about tipp supporters.... the offaly supporters should have a look at themselves first... i mean the landuage of some of the offaly supporters today was unreal... the comments they were making towards the reff made the louth supporters look like angels... from before the throw in the was a group of offaly supporters in front of us who were obviously in the pub all day and were very verbal about what they were going to to to tipp today... these supporters had no intrest in the game and i feel that they let themselves and their county down... if i was an offaly man today i would be ashamed.... there is no need for people or carry on like that in the gaa...i know not all offaly fans are thick and ignorant but most of them are...

tiobraid arann abu... :D[/quote]

Good man TT25, you should maybe consider to changing you name to "TT 2 in the last 20 years". And if you've any trouble with the maths there, i'll explain it in nice small words for you. From yer own standard of hurling of sunday, you wouldn't be needing to change that 2 to a 3 any time soon.

Yes we are team building and not at the top table, but if we look to tipps standards, we have 9 years to build a team to where ye are now, was it a 10 point beating ye got off cork there in May?

The only national award ye'll be winning this year is possibly dirtiest hurler of the year - again, or are ye not going to play benny dunne for the rest of yer campaign?

It's amusing that you think ye can compete with KK who beat ye last year and the rest of the munster teams like cork who beat ye this year. When ye are beaten this year, I hope it is a beating that befits your arrogance.

I have no doubt that ye will not win the SHC this year. So much so that i'll put a grand on it here with you this minute. Lets see if your arrogance matches your belief in the blue and gold. I'd say sliothars aren't the only liathroidí your missing now.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Good man tipptopper25 thank you for reinforcing the perception that ye lot are nothing but an arrogant shower
of wasters. Go off and choke on your "hag sangwitches" ya fool!

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Disappointed yesterday, we were beaten, outhurled, out fought, everything. Tipp did not have to hurl well to win. Their point taking was good as they were never shooting under any pressure. Our forwards played stupid hurling , even Bergin wo was our best forward was poor. Our teams/and mgt need to start thinking about the game and how to get the edge on opponents. Tipp had a system and stuck to it, excellent midfield cover and half forwards working like hell.
Shane Dooley did not want to know about it, again, Molloy and Brady could have easily picked up second yellow cards.

As regards arrogance, look every county has a few morons at matches, God knows I give abuse by times, am getting quieter though! We need to look long and hard at who is in charge. Joe Dooley needs to have a serious plan on how he is going to address the serious deficiencies in this team, he spoke about how he would have loved to hurl Tipp, and yet he could not motivate at least 6 of his team for yesterdays game?
People are talking about the difference being the wides pucked in the first half, what did ye expect? These forwards generaly need gilt edged chances in order to score. There was a world of difference between the teams all over the field.

We have a nice team, who need a lot more work rate, and a system to cover for inadequacies, and some tactics. To sum up, we were beaten after 15mins yesterday, and that is unforgiveable in my view.

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

some people here think my earlier post was arogant and carcastic... it was not ment to be so im sorry if anyone was offended... what i said about the offaly tactics was correct however... it was very negative throughout the game... playing an extra man in defence is a sure sign that they have no confidence in their own ability...offaly players droping like flies to try and waste some time and the goal keeper delaying his puckouts... not the offaly we are used to.... the great offaly teams on the 80s and 90s must look on in horror at this form of cheeting.... the offaly teams of the 80s and 90s took on everyone and never gave up until the final whistle... they played tough but fair and never complained... what i saw yesterday was a discrase to those men.... imagine ont of those players from the 80s or 90s pretending to be injured and roll along the ground when it was clear no one touched them...

what i said about the offaly supporters in front of me also was correct... a large group of them arriving in drunk and roaring abuse at prople for no reason... they were carryng on like a bunch of english soccer supporters....they had no interest in the match and with the amount of young people present i found it very offensive... after about 5 mins into the second half they turned on their own players and were roaring abuse at them.... there were quite a few other offaly supporters roaring abuse at their own players also.... what happened the supporters yee had in 90s when yee sat on the pitch and demanded a replay against clare????? where have they gone????? they were passonate supporters who wouldnt turn on their own....

mckr
Junior C

Post by mckr »

Actually "TT 2 in the last 20 years", i just saw another of your posts:

"i know your senior players had good result against galway last sun but i think that may be a flash in the pan and i think galway will win the replay by 10 points +++(prove me wrong)... "

You clearly know your stuff. Will DEFO be reading the rest of your predictions for the championship, must remember to put the house on them.

What's a tipp man doing registering for an offaly website anyway? no one here has any interest in your comments, push off and find a tipp website.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Typical Tipp prick, a good few of them in my area, think that they know everything but deep down Know SFA about anything, You'd think that they were winning titles everyday, a bunch of wasters, imagine if the cats were in Munster, Tipp would be a laughing stock, well they are anyway. Most people would like to see the CATS beaten this year but not by Tipp as you'd listening to it for another 20 years, ungracious bast**ds.
Be careful out their