Offaly vs Tipperary SHC Qualifier Phase 3 17/07/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
craig24
Junior C

Re: Offaly vs Tipperary SHC Qualifier Phase 3 17/07/2010

Post by craig24 »

kinnittyman wrote:By all accounts Offaly have a full deck to play with on Sunday so the team I'd like to see selected is

1. James Dempsey
2. Stephen Egan - number 5
3. Paul Cleary
4. David Franks - number 2
5. James Rigney - number -4
6. David Kenny
7. Derek Morkam
8. Brendan Murphy
9. Rory Hannify
10. Brian Carroll
11. Joe Brady
12. Derek Molloy
13. Shane Dooley
14. Joe Bergin
15. Cathal Parlon

And hopefully the endless rotation of the forwards will cease or at least slow down a bit. Lads need 20 minutes to settle into their positions and should be afforded that. If a lad isn't going well then it's time for the sideline and not a series of positional changes that disrupt the balance of the team and would posssibly see a player who is doing well in a certian position being moved from there which I have seen this management team do on numerous occasions.
i tink ger healion shud start insted of cathal parlon but parlon played well against limerick nd dooley at full forward nd bergin nd healion on each corner

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

craig24 wrote:
kinnittyman wrote:By all accounts Offaly have a full deck to play with on Sunday so the team I'd like to see selected is

1. James Dempsey
2. Stephen Egan - number 5
3. Paul Cleary
4. David Franks - number 2
5. James Rigney - number -4
6. David Kenny
7. Derek Morkam
8. Brendan Murphy
9. Rory Hannify
10. Brian Carroll
11. Joe Brady
12. Derek Molloy
13. Shane Dooley
14. Joe Bergin
15. Cathal Parlon

And hopefully the endless rotation of the forwards will cease or at least slow down a bit. Lads need 20 minutes to settle into their positions and should be afforded that. If a lad isn't going well then it's time for the sideline and not a series of positional changes that disrupt the balance of the team and would posssibly see a player who is doing well in a certian position being moved from there which I have seen this management team do on numerous occasions.
i tink ger healion shud start insted of cathal parlon but parlon played well against limerick nd dooley at full forward nd bergin nd healion on each corner
Translation please??

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Of all the teams left in the championship victory tomorrow against Tipp would be
the most sweetest of all.... Make no doubts about it our close south neighbours are the most
arrogant shower you could ever come across, they look down on us big time... Eventhough we've
won the same amount of all-irelands in the last thirty years. God, I would be the happiest man alive
tomorrow if we knocked these out.... Cmon lads, ye can do it!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I think he'd like to see Ned Dooley, Ned Bergin and Ned Healion in the full forward line. Whoever they are. :D
kinnittyman wrote:
craig24 wrote:i tink ger healion shud start insted of cathal parlon but parlon played well against limerick nd dooley at full forward nd bergin nd healion on each corner
Translation please??
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

drummy
Junior B

Post by drummy »

Emerging talent excites Murphy
17 July 2010

Offaly stalwart Brendan Murphy has taken huge encouragement from the progress made by Joe Dooley's young guns this year.

Speaking ahead of tomorrow's All-Ireland qualifier clash with Tipperary in Portlaoise, the trainee doctor said: "We do have fellas starting to come through now and you have to give credit to Joe and his selectors for that. Offaly hasn't really had a lot of success at underage and none of these lads have medals, but it just goes to show that if you get only two or three from every year, even if it's not from winning teams, you can make something from them.

"Shane Dooley everyone knows about, and Joe Bergin, but Cathal Parlon had a great game the last day, Derek Morkan, James Rigney, David Kenny is as good a backman as is around - all those lads are starting to come through as well, playing well, and the Fitzgibbon Cup experience was a real factor there.

"Brian Carroll with UL, Cathal Parlon, Kevin Brady, Joe Brady, they all have medals with Waterford (IT), Michael Verney and a few others are also playing with various colleges. Realistically, the Fitzgibbon is now the next step to senior, a great competition, probably a level above U21. Look at the Kilkenny team of the last few years, almost every one of them has played Fitzgibbon Cup, and you'd see Brian Cody at a lot of those games."

Murphy is under no illusions about the task facing Offaly against a Tipperary team still reeling from their surprise Munster SHC collapse at the hands of Cork.

"There was a lot of negative stuff written about them after that game, but Tipp are still a top side. If things really go against us this Sunday and Tipp take off, it's back to the drawing board again.

"It's going to be a tough championship game but it's nice to be there anyway, back in the spotlight. Things haven't been going too badly, hopefully that continues this Sunday," he added.

from h.s.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I think he'd like to see Ned Dooley, Ned Bergin and Ned Healion in the full forward line. Whoever they are. :D
kinnittyman wrote:
craig24 wrote:i tink ger healion shud start insted of cathal parlon but parlon played well against limerick nd dooley at full forward nd bergin nd healion on each corner
Translation please??
Whoever they are, let me say that its a disgrace they aren't being picked! :mrgreen:

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

i cant find this on any channel lads.... i assume its not available anywhere to view?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Radio 3 for audio anyway...
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

Before I can gather my thoughts and comment on the game itself,I am compelled to state my profound hatred of those obnoxious Tipp 'supporters'.
For jaysis sake lads,modesty and magnanimous are obviously words that don't feature in their vocabulary.
Is it really that hard to be gracious in victory,never mind in defeat?
They have to be the most arrogant hoors on the island when it comes to Gaelic games.
Rant over.

biffo_king
Junior A

Post by biffo_king »

offaly was shamefully today,enough said

Hocker
All Star

Offaly 1-12 Tipperary 0-21

Post by Hocker »

Tipp in fairness never needed to get out of 3rd gear today, once the lads started to miss pointable chances & Tipp started to put away 95% of their chances I knew we were wanked....
It really was men against boys today...
The team has come on a fair bit but on today's evidence it'll be a few more years before we'll be able to give the championship a good rattle...
I felt the Tipp supporters showed fierce arrogance towards their Offaly counterparts and when they got the majority of the ref's calls and there was a fair degree of smarmyness in the air throughout the stand where I was seated, which I felt was uncalled for!

Anyway, the county championships will return in full-swing from next week onwards I'd imagine?

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

look i said it last week after the limerick game if offaly start like they have done in all there games in this years championship this year
the match would be over at half time and it was. so what happen today with offaly was no shock to me.

we have been hurling all year with no midfield or half forward line so it was always on the cards that we wouldn't trouble tipp today
how Joe Dooley and Brendan kelly and Pat Mcloughney looked at Joe Brady Cathal Parlon for as long as they did beats me.

as for putting David Kenny right half back is crazy he does all his hurling in the centre other full or centre back in saying that
Rory Hanniffy and Paul Cleary had great matches today.

so thats another year over it wasn't to bad we are still in division 1 and if we can find one or two good forwards for next year
we can have another crack at getting to the leinster final if we can stay away from the cats in the draw.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Sad to say its all over for another year lads!
Wasn't a bad year overall!

Roll on next year! :D

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

biffo_king wrote:offaly was shamefully today,enough said
Eh, there was no shame about it.
They tried hard but were beaten by a better team.
Have a bit of respect.

Biffo2010
Junior C

Post by Biffo2010 »

just on this quote:

as for putting David Kenny right half back is crazy he does all his hurling in the centre other full or centre back in saying that
Rory Hanniffy and Paul Cleary had great matches today.

i agree wat your sayin about david kenny and i thought rory was very good aswell. but i completely disagree that Paul Cleary had a great game. he was very poor again for offaly. for a big lad he doesn't use his size enough. he's too much of a clean hurler and needs to get a alot more physical.