A hundred years ago . . .

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: A hundred years ago . . .

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

My Left Foot wrote:Thank God we managed to get rid of that North South divide. It would be embarassing if one hundred years later it was still there ........oh wait ......! :lol:
I think its fair to say that the Paris Peace Conference of 1919 really missed a trick when they didn't try to resolve the North Offaly/South Offaly conflict.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Yea, they were on the same bill, the hurling started at 2pm, the football at 3.45pm. Incidentally, Christy Todd was listed among the subs on that football team.
black and red exile wrote:POTH, were the hurlers in the curtain raiser before the football game or were they playing at a different venue? It's just that I have no recollection of the hurlers playing in croker that day, of course they could have been on beforehand I just can't recall.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Cheers POTH, Christy Todd listed as a sub for the footballers, wow it goes to show ya learn something new everyday :o

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

black and red exile wrote:Cheers POTH, Christy Todd listed as a sub for the footballers, wow it goes to show ya learn something new everyday :o
There were still a lot of good players on that team, though I think from memory the Meath team of that time was pretty good and unlucky to have come up against Heffo's Army.
Interesting too to see Johnny Mooney on the subs too, was 76 his last year in minor.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
My Left Foot wrote:Thank God we managed to get rid of that North South divide. It would be embarassing if one hundred years later it was still there ........oh wait ......! :lol:
Sorry to hi-jack the thread (I can open up a new one if it develops) but what do you all think of the current state of play on this divide? I think personally it's more of a East\West divide!! I think things are just......different, when you cross the bridge in Ballycumber, I can't put my finger on it but they just are! I'm not saying lads are any more or less sound but there just seems to be a.........difference!
The night is darkest before the dawn

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

the bare biffo wrote:Interesting too to see Johnny Mooney on the subs too, was 76 his last year in minor.
Johnny played minor and senior Championship in '76, but could not make the u/21 team.
Be careful out their

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Daingean was originally named Philipstown in 1556 when it was established as the county town in the land that was planted by Queen Mary Tudor in the newly-shired King’s County. The town and the county was so named after her husband, Philip II of Spain, King consort of Ireland.

The town was once the seat of the O’Connor clan, who were chieftains of the surrounding area of Offaly. Its current name ‘Daingean’ from Daingean Ua bhFáilghe means fortress of the Uí Fáilghe clan, a name which it derived from the mediaeval island fortress of O’Connor Faly.

In 1883 Tullamore replaced Daingean as the focal point of the county. As a result Philipstown was demoted from capital town to village and as a result lost most of its political status. It was in 1922, with the foundation of the Free State, that the village was renamed Daingean, at the same time as County Offaly replaced the old King’s County.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daingean
Oh to think of how much better off the whole County would surely be if that scandalous skullduggery of 1883 had not occurred. We had a truly regal County Town, based on a "Fortress" of good standing, a town that really appreciated the best of the County (i.e. the Bog and what it yielded).

But then those dastardly upstarts from Tullamore, a town that just means "Big mound or heap" obviously slipped a few back-handers or brown envelopes to the durty Sassanach to pull the rug from under my forefathers; truly a Coup d'Etat of Central American proportions. Of course the real shame is that the rest of our subjects (sorry!) neighbours in Edenderry, Rhode, Ferbane, Clara, Birr did not rise up to defend our honour. Ah shame on the lot of yez! :cry:
---------------------------------------
p.s. I remember Christy Todd playing in goals for the Daingean parish team in the County Final, possibly around 1977 when they were beaten by Tullamore. Christy took no prisoners when he came out for a dropping ball.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

The Biff wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:
Daingean was originally named Philipstown in 1556 when it was established as the county town in the land that was planted by Queen Mary Tudor in the newly-shired King’s County. The town and the county was so named after her husband, Philip II of Spain, King consort of Ireland.

The town was once the seat of the O’Connor clan, who were chieftains of the surrounding area of Offaly. Its current name ‘Daingean’ from Daingean Ua bhFáilghe means fortress of the Uí Fáilghe clan, a name which it derived from the mediaeval island fortress of O’Connor Faly.

In 1883 Tullamore replaced Daingean as the focal point of the county. As a result Philipstown was demoted from capital town to village and as a result lost most of its political status. It was in 1922, with the foundation of the Free State, that the village was renamed Daingean, at the same time as County Offaly replaced the old King’s County.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daingean
Oh to think of how much better off the whole County would surely be if that scandalous skullduggery of 1883 had not occurred. We had a truly regal County Town, based on a "Fortress" of good standing, a town that really appreciated the best of the County (i.e. the Bog and what it yielded).

But then those dastardly upstarts from Tullamore, a town that just means "Big mound or heap" obviously slipped a few back-handers or brown envelopes to the durty Sassanach to pull the rug from under my forefathers; truly a Coup d'Etat of Central American proportions. Of course the real shame is that the rest of our subjects (sorry!) neighbours in Edenderry, Rhode, Ferbane, Clara, Birr did not rise up to defend our honour. Ah shame on the lot of yez! :cry:
---------------------------------------
p.s. I remember Christy Todd playing in goals for the Daingean parish team in the County Final, possibly around 1977 when they were beaten by Tullamore. Christy took no prisoners when he came out for a dropping ball.
The other irony is Daingean parish GAA teams have for years been at loggerheads, with the result that there isn't a senior team left in the parish. So Daingean was demoted as capital town and more recently in GAA terms the parish has split up into various teams. As regards our neighbours defending our honour, we weren't gonna get much help from Rhode anyway :roll:

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Things were poor if Daingean was the capital town!

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

[quote= BNAMan"] In 1883 Tullamore replaced Daingean as the focal point of the county. As a result Philipstown was demoted from capital town to village and as a result lost most of its political status. It was in 1922, with the foundation of the Free State, that the village was renamed Daingean, at the same time as County Offaly replaced the old King’s County.[/quote]

Point of order: Tullamore replaced Philipstown as the county town in 1835. At this stage Philipstown had been in decline for over fifty years. The county assize (Courts) had been held there and the judges frequently complained of the terrible accomadation provided in the fortress town.

P.S. has anyone any personal contact with any of the 1976 team that could confirm where the jerseys came from?

Also POTH did you come across a team sheet for those 1910 games???
Contae an Riogh

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No, Coole. I posted the entire article that was in the Tribune, it didn't print any lineouts or name any players. I wonder is there anything in this week's paper relating to the big trip to Maryborough (the 1910 one now, not last week's :D )
Coolestown1562 wrote:Also POTH did you come across a team sheet for those 1910 games???
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Anyone know who wrote the rhyme below? I remember it from primary school. It seems neither town was held in very high regard.

"Great bog of Allen, swallow down
That odious heap call'd Philipstown,
And if thy maw can swallow more
Pray take - and welcome - Tullamore.

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Is anyone aware of a book which details the history of Offaly GAA. I know many clubs have completed fantastic historys but I never heard of one for Offaly

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

In 1984 there was a centenary buke published with a mixture of club profiles and the county GAA history.
I think it was compiled by Ricey Scully and PJ Cunningham.

There is scope for another such project though.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

dubbiff wrote:Anyone know who wrote the rhyme below? I remember it from primary school. It seems neither town was held in very high regard.

"Great bog of Allen, swallow down
That odious heap call'd Philipstown,
And if thy maw can swallow more
Pray take - and welcome - Tullamore.
According to the website of the Offaly Historical Society at http://www.offalyhistory.com/articles/1 ... Page1.html it is attributed to an unnamed "correspondent" of the "Parliamentary Gazetteer". It's down at the very end of the article in this link.

I can say this myself (before anyone else does) - it seems that Daingean hasn't changed much since those days. But if you really want to learn something, search on the linked page for clyster, it sounds like something the current Offaly Footballers could do with. :twisted:
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.