Shannonbridge to compete in 'Celebrity Bainisteoir 3'

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Georgio1
All Star

Re: Shannonbridge to compete in 'Celebrity Bainisteoir 3'

Post by Georgio1 »

Am I bothered? :roll:

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

She's a pain in the hole. I seen her on the Late late Show last year and she said she couldn't get a boyfriend cos fellas were intimidated because she was such a big celebrity !!!!! She was so much up her own arse it was unreal....

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Hocker wrote: Nuala Carey profile:

Educated in Muckross Park College, Donnybrook, Dublin 4, Monkstown -
Where is the Offaly connection?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Oceans 15 wrote:I seen her on the Late late Show last year and she said she couldn't get a boyfriend cos fellas were intimidated because she was such a big celebrity !!!!!
This could be destiny.
She could meet her soul-mate and one true love in the wilds of Shannonbridge!

Then the 'bridge will become like Lisdoonvarna. Hordes of well heeled young ladies will be swarming the place when they hear of the red-blooded, hunter gatherer men that are to be had there. Back on the Southside, the collared up Fionns and Oisins will be left crying into their Heinos as all the young fillies hook up with untamed west Offaly men!

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Oceans 15 wrote:I seen her on the Late late Show last year and she said she couldn't get a boyfriend cos fellas were intimidated because she was such a big celebrity !!!!!
This could be destiny.
She could meet her soul-mate and one true love in the wilds of Shannonbridge!

Then the 'bridge will become like Lisdoonvarna. Hordes of well heeled young ladies will be swarming the place when they hear of the red-blooded, hunter gatherer men that are to be had there. Back on the Southside, the collared up Fionns and Oisins will be left crying into their Heinos as all the young fillies hook up with untamed west Offaly men!
Be careful for what you wish for !!!! :lol: :lol:

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Bord na Mona man wrote:

No Offaly connection whatsoever, she said so herself....
She's taking them for their first official training session with Liam Currams and Dublin's Ciaran Whelan (Official Celebrity Bainisteoir mentors) in two weeks...

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

Celebrity Bainisteoir is a heap of sh*t. The GAA should not be lowering themselves by having teams participate in celebrity RTE crap.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Daingean Exile wrote:Celebrity Bainisteoir is a heap of sh*t. The GAA should not be lowering themselves by having teams participate in celebrity RTE crap.
Couldn't disagree more. It gives great exposure to the GAA at club level and gives a nice view on the whole community thing that the GAA is about. The lads can knock a bit of craic out of it, gives the team some good challenge matches, the "bainisteoir" is only there for 2 or 3 trainings so it doesn't affect their preperations and aside from all that it's a great boost to the clubs coffers if they win.

I fail to see the down side to be honest!
The night is darkest before the dawn

Bord na Mona man
All Star

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
Daingean Exile wrote:Celebrity Bainisteoir is a heap of sh*t. The GAA should not be lowering themselves by having teams participate in celebrity RTE crap.
Couldn't disagree more. It gives great exposure to the GAA at club level and gives a nice view on the whole community thing that the GAA is about. The lads can knock a bit of craic out of it, gives the team some good challenge matches, the "bainisteoir" is only there for 2 or 3 trainings so it doesn't affect their preperations and aside from all that it's a great boost to the clubs coffers if they win.

I fail to see the down side to be honest!
Agreed.
There are large sections of Irish society who wouldn't fully grasp the work that goes on at community level with the GAA. Many people's only acquaintance with the association will be through the various bad news stories that hit the headlines (look at the front of all today's papers).
In previous series some of the bainisteoirs have expressed pleasant surprise when they actually saw how a club functions at grassroots and the positive impact it has on everyday life. Most of them seem to have been unaware of it.

I think this is our own fault. Not everyone is born into a GAA background and has a genetic affinity to a particular club. A lot of what takes place within the GAA is pitched on the assumption that people are. The over-emphasis on a sort of mythical gaeldom, a rural, green and perhaps bygone Irishness can leave many people unmoved. There may be an unintentional closed-shop mentality when it comes to actually wooing people who aren't steeped in GAA tradition.

I think Celebrity Bainisteoir has been good because it has given a section of Irish society a peep behind the curtains at the workings of community based clubs. It is meant to be a bit of fun and I don't see any harm in it.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Hocker wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:

No Offaly connection whatsoever, she said so herself....
She's taking them for their first official training session with Liam Currams and Dublin's Ciaran Whelan (Official Celebrity Bainisteoir mentors) in two weeks...

Hocker you couldn't let us know nearer the time when the training is on so I could go down and have a look could ya?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I think when you see how much interest it generates in a community, it's hard to be against it. I'd wonder myself how much input the actual "celebrities" have, but when you look at the quality of the mentors, plus the fact that I'm sure the club would get a few interesting training days paid for by RTE, then you'd be mad to turn it down.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Oceans 15 is dead right, Carey adores herself. She has appeared on the Mooney radio show as a guest over the last couple of years and no matter what subject is debated the conversation always comes around to miss Carey prattling on about herself, an irritating wagon.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Lads, Nuala's a good girl - let's have some love for her here

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

On a positive note Shannonbridge will have the heads up on weather forecasts before the big game. She could commence the team talk by running through some Atlantic weather charts and advising the free taker on wind and air pressure conditions.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Is Nuala Carey a guilty pleasure of yours, Kman :?: :D
kinnittyman wrote:Hocker you couldn't let us know nearer the time when the training is on so I could go down and have a look could ya?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.