Page 5 of 7

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:30 pm
by beirut
Is Gerry Russell for real? Tuned into MR3 on the Internet to hear Gerry Russell saying that some of the Offaly crowd were heading for the exits as we were 5 points down. I was expecting that the games was nearly over, only for him to say that there was 23 minutes gone in the second half. Surely they were heading for the hot dogs, anticipating the extra-time?

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:46 pm
by leinsterman
beirut wrote:Is Gerry Russell for real? Tuned into MR3 on the Internet to hear Gerry Russell saying that some of the Offaly crowd were heading for the exits as we were 5 points down. I was expecting that the games was nearly over, only for him to say that there was 23 minutes gone in the second half. Surely they were heading for the hot dogs, anticipating the extra-time?


The only thing Gerry Russell was was sorry about i say that was that offaly won the match, as for Crowd what crowd you would see more at a ringing of a pig i think there
was about 700 at it you would see more at a club game brutal support from both sides anyway no point in going down that road again.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:22 pm
by Plain of the Herbs
What makes you think Offaly are 15 - 20 points better than Offaly in the first place?
When were Offaly ever 15 - 20 points better than Antrim?
And what aspect(s) of the Antrim team did you feel would/could have been exploited in order to give rise to a 15-20 point win?
And what aspect(s) of Offaly's potential did you feel would give rise to such a win?
I note you are from a club who takes delight from beating weaker clubs by as much as ye can, yet have nothing to offer when ye get to O'Connor Park in September/October.
backofthenet wrote:No I disagree...Offaly should have beaten Antrim by 15 - 20....its pure crap to be talking about on any given day etc. The simple fact of the matter is this Offaly team doesnt even have the confidence to take on and destroy a team that is 15 - 20 points behind them. What hope against Galway??!!

I think I was the calmest man in Parnell Park yesterday because I had a fair idea what would happen. I'm in full agreement with GreatDay's post too, I might add. Simple fact is that Offaly were quite unable for Antrim's physicality and the match was well into extra time before Offaly took posssession of a ball out of a scrum.
Antrim are decent ballplayers who will do well when on the ball. The difference is that they don't get their hands on the ball when they are hurling against the top-ranking teams.
Note that Dublin only started to go places when they stopped trying to hurl like Offaly and adapted a Galway style of running into space.
Finally I was sorry for the Antrim folk, hurling lovers all of them, who were within earshot of comments from Offaly smart-alecs who made their 'embarrasment' known to all. I never thought we were that close to Tipperary in terms of that bad attitude but sadly some are.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:30 pm
by Plain of the Herbs
Offaly subs were:
16 James Dempsey; 17 Stephen Egan; 18 Dylan Hayden; 19 Brendan Murphy; 20 Cathal Parlon; 21 Michael Cordial; 22 Ger Healion; 23 Shane Kelly; 24 Stephen Wynne; 25 Éanna Murphy; 26 Ódhrán Kealey; 27 Fergal Daly; 28 James Mulrooney; 29 Eoin Kelly; 30 Ger Oakley.

I’m guessing you want the Antrim subs too? 16 Chris O’Connell; 17 Mark Devlin; 18 James McKeague; 19 Colm McBride; 20 Aaron Smiley; 21 Simon McCrory; 22 Barry McFall; 23 Colm McFall; 24 PJ O’Connell; 25 Michael Devlin; 26 Paudie Shivers; 27 Martin Scullion; 28 Liam Watson, 29 Darren Hamill; 30 Neil McGarry.

Now you might tell us why someone from Croom would want the list of Offaly subs, football and hurling.
cromabu52 wrote:Any one have the sub list for Offaly. Just to see the rest of the panel.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:16 pm
by allstar2010
look, we were never going to win this match by a massive winning margin and at the end of the day what good would that have done... this match was just about winning and although the made hard work of it they showed some battling qualities to come back and rescue the match. Its unfortunate that the galway match is in croker, ok its great to be back up in hq but the wide open space of croker will suit galways forwards down to the ground. Its terrible to think we can see how this one pans out already "offaly put up a spirited performance but fall short as canning and co pull away in the end to win by 8pts"... joe dooley and selectors don't know what they're at, we don't have enough scoring forwards, how long more do we have to look at joe brady hurling centre forward...

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 pm
by first_touch
Lads, what's the problem with somebody asking for the subs list? Given that 5 subs are used and we hear so much talk about 'strength in depth', 'impact subs' and having a 'strong panel' I for one find it annoying when all that's usually announced in the media is the first fifteen. Its the same on the Sunday Game. Its very hard to find out who's on the bench if you dont get to match and see the match programme. Ok, I hear you retort "go to the bloody match and find out"! However, I think that misses the point. If its a squad game then all the members of the squad deserve to made widely known to the public and supporters are entitled to have ready access to this information. Nowadays games - especially close games - are seldom decided by the starting 15.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:56 pm
by leinsterman
first_touch wrote:Lads, what's the problem with somebody asking for the subs list? Given that 5 subs are used and we hear so much talk about 'strength in depth', 'impact subs' and having a 'strong panel' I for one find it annoying when all that's usually announced in the media is the first fifteen. Its the same on the Sunday Game. Its very hard to find out who's on the bench if you dont get to match and see the match programme. Ok, I hear you retort "go to the bloody match and find out"! However, I think that misses the point. If its a squad game then all the members of the squad deserve to made widely known to the public and supporters are entitled to have ready access to this information. Nowadays games - especially close games - are seldom decided by the starting 15.


Thats truth only for Brendan Murphy and Dylan Hayden coming on as subs we would be out on our ear of the lenister championship now.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:15 pm
by backofthenet
Plain of the Herbs wrote:What makes you think Offaly are 15 - 20 points better than Offaly in the first place?
When were Offaly ever 15 - 20 points better than Antrim?
And what aspect(s) of the Antrim team did you feel would/could have been exploited in order to give rise to a 15-20 point win?
And what aspect(s) of Offaly's potential did you feel would give rise to such a win?
I note you are from a club who takes delight from beating weaker clubs by as much as ye can, yet have nothing to offer when ye get to O'Connor Park in September/October.
backofthenet wrote:No I disagree...Offaly should have beaten Antrim by 15 - 20....its pure crap to be talking about on any given day etc. The simple fact of the matter is this Offaly team doesnt even have the confidence to take on and destroy a team that is 15 - 20 points behind them. What hope against Galway??!!

I think I was the calmest man in Parnell Park yesterday because I had a fair idea what would happen. I'm in full agreement with GreatDay's post too, I might add. Simple fact is that Offaly were quite unable for Antrim's physicality and the match was well into extra time before Offaly took posssession of a ball out of a scrum.
Antrim are decent ballplayers who will do well when on the ball. The difference is that they don't get their hands on the ball when they are hurling against the top-ranking teams.
Note that Dublin only started to go places when they stopped trying to hurl like Offaly and adapted a Galway style of running into space.
Finally I was sorry for the Antrim folk, hurling lovers all of them, who were within earshot of comments from Offaly smart-alecs who made their 'embarrasment' known to all. I never thought we were that close to Tipperary in terms of that bad attitude but sadly some are.


What makes me think Offaly are 15 - 20 points better than antrim

Ok last year they met in the championship with Offaly coming out on top by 18 points, Offaly have met Antrim 6 times in championship hurling, winning 5 of the 6, the average margin of those 5 winning occasions was 15 points. Antrim struggled badly in division 2 this year, Offaly have maintained division 1 status, having ran Galway, Tipperary & Waterford close. If anyone suggested that any of those three teams were 20 - 30 points clear of Antrim no one would bat an eyelid. Also take a look at the odds offered before the game...antrim were as much as 10 - 1 before the off.

Well the point about beating weaker clubs as much as you can...of course i make no bones about it...this is the way all the top teams do it, when you get the chance to put a team a way, you do it, and if you beat them by 40 points afterwards all the better. Its precisely the kind of farting about that you propose that made yesterdays game a battle, when offaly scored 1-8 without reply we took the foot off the pedal,thinking oh lets tag on a few points now and dont beat them by too much, thats far more disrespectful of your opponent that beating them by a big score. On having nothing to offer in o'connor park...first of all im not sure what youre getting at here, I am talking about Offaly and for some reason youre trying to get a dig at my club, secondly youre right, we have completely blown it the last couple of years when we should have been stepping up to the plate. But perhaps you look after the affairs of your club and il look after the affairs of ours, just because i challenge your point of view does not give you the right to stir sh@t.

If you dont understand where you really are in relation to your opponents, you will never know what you need to do to improve. Offaly need to take a look at themselves, really assess the situation, and actually do something about it. Simple fact is we need a forward line that is willing to work and challenge for every ball, derek molloy is a good player, but someone needs to show him how to tackle smartly and fairly, too many stupid free's given away. Also we need to get some players fitter, most notably joe brady if he is to continue at centre forward. Tactics need to be introduced, why not try isolate joe bergin on his own as cork did with asaike? Anything is better than the two lines of 3 that we line up with day in day out.

I dont agree with Offaly supporters making fun of Antrim, and they should be ashamed of themselves, but the vast majority of antrim supporters would have been travelling in hope rather than expectation yesterday.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:44 pm
by leinsterman
Plain of the Herbs wrote:What makes you think Offaly are 15 - 20 points better than Offaly in the first place?
When were Offaly ever 15 - 20 points better than Antrim?
And what aspect(s) of the Antrim team did you feel would/could have been exploited in order to give rise to a 15-20 point win?
And what aspect(s) of Offaly's potential did you feel would give rise to such a win?
I note you are from a club who takes delight from beating weaker clubs by as much as ye can, yet have nothing to offer when ye get to O'Connor Park in September/October.
backofthenet wrote:No I disagree...Offaly should have beaten Antrim by 15 - 20....its pure crap to be talking about on any given day etc. The simple fact of the matter is this Offaly team doesnt even have the confidence to take on and destroy a team that is 15 - 20 points behind them. What hope against Galway??!!

I think I was the calmest man in Parnell Park yesterday because I had a fair idea what would happen. I'm in full agreement with GreatDay's post too, I might add. Simple fact is that Offaly were quite unable for Antrim's physicality and the match was well into extra time before Offaly took posssession of a ball out of a scrum.
Antrim are decent ballplayers who will do well when on the ball. The difference is that they don't get their hands on the ball when they are hurling against the top-ranking teams.
Note that Dublin only started to go places when they stopped trying to hurl like Offaly and adapted a Galway style of running into space.
Finally I was sorry for the Antrim folk, hurling lovers all of them, who were within earshot of comments from Offaly smart-alecs who made their 'embarrasment' known to all. I never thought we were that close to Tipperary in terms of that bad attitude but sadly some are.


How do you make out that Dublin started to go places when they stopped hurling like offaly if thats the case why haven't Dublin won anything if they hurl like offaly
after the league game this year they may go back to play like us so as we were far the better team that day. they got to a leinster final last year fair enough but kilkenny
were only stretching their legs in the final. they also when on to lose to limerick who were bet bye 29 points or around that after bye tipp.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:50 pm
by BUFFALO
Loughers wrote:Tis none other than Michael 'Smokey' McDonagh.
Originally a Galway man I believe,but has been settled in Offaly for a good number of years now and is a naturalised Offalian.
Fair play to him he never misses a match,come hail,rain or shine and whatsmore is that he wears that jersey continually even if it's below freezing.
Often see him thumbing a lift to games the length and breadth of the country.
Nice man who eats,sleeps and breaths Offaly and the GAA in general,but the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor.


What happened between him and the mush with the moustache? They used to be at all the matches together but not anymore. He was down the other end yesterday.[/quote]

Ah yes,Mr Cunningham.Probably the most ardent follower of all things Offaly I have ever seen.
Without any shadow of doubt he is fully committed to the cause,always with the colours and on match-day he would be fully decked out in as much regalia as humanly possible.
I'm not sure what,if anything has happened between the two men in question,but their parting of ways is symbolic of the deeper divisions that exist between the remainder of the county at large.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:52 pm
by allstar2010
Double header in Portlaoise on the 20th June.... Thank god for that
at least that gives us some hope....

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:17 pm
by BUFFALO
allstar2010 wrote:Double header in Portlaoise on the 20th June.... Thank god for that
at least that gives us some hope....


Where'd ya hear that?
Have you got a source?

If true it does indeed change the complexion of the fixture.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:46 pm
by Efan
That game is in Croke Park. It was originally fixed for Saturday evening in Nolan Park. To facilitate a live TV game for TV3 it was switched to a double header on the Sunday. KK Dublin at 2.00 and we are up at 4.00. I wonder why the Leinster council bother issuing a fixtures list in the first place without working all this out as it only discommodes patrons to bounce around the dates. Assuming it is in Croke Park they will do well to get 35k .... less than half ful. Smokey will have all the space he needs behind ther goals that day.

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:06 pm
by kinnittyman
FAO Backofthenet: What club are you from and is POTH referring to?

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:08 pm
by allstar2010
BUFFALO wrote:
allstar2010 wrote:Double header in Portlaoise on the 20th June.... Thank god for that
at least that gives us some hope....


Where'd ya hear that?
Have you got a source?

If true it does indeed change the complexion of the fixture.



Seen it on d hoganstand website, we're on at 4pm...