LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

Post by allstar2010 »

Ok lads, lets forget about what we had to witness yesterday and look forward to the start of the leinster championship next Sunday against Antrim. Hopefully, we can get the right result and get the ball rolling for a long summer! This will be no cake walk and Antrim will have nothing to lose coming down to Parnell park. Our lads have been shaping up nicely, stayin up in division1 was a good start to the year and now lets hope we can go on a run in the championship, would be nice to get a few trips to croker for a change, its a while since we were there... I was just thinking yesterday its a pity the county is basically divided in 2 (North = football, South = Hurling) for such a small county if we ever want to compete again for all-irelands we need a bigger pick, get hurling coaches in rhode, walsh island and these places, Id say niall mcnamee would make a great hurler if he was coached, it'l never happen though, ah well............ anyway, anyone any idea of what the lineout will be for sunday....

kinnittyman
All Star

Re: LSHC 30th May Offaly v Antrim Parnell Park 3:30pm

Post by kinnittyman »

This game will be a cakewalk for Offaly. We beat them 18 points last year and i'd be shocked if wasn't at least 12 this year. This is the sort of game where the Offaly forwards will put up a big tally but come Leinster Semi that won't happen. I went to Parnell Park last year, I wont be going this. Nowlan Park Saturday night and Tipp Cork on the box Sunday are far more appealing options. Portlaiose yesterday drianed my sense of loyalty. I'll hit Croker for the semi alright.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I wouldn't use last year as any sort of form guide.
Antrim were confident they'd get their relegation over turned in the committee room, so they didn't exactly stretch themselves.

Offaly should win, but history has shown they can make this sort of games very difficult for themselves.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Well its simple as this, if Offaly have made any progress over the last year, at least a 12 - 15 point win must be given to antrim next sunday. I fear that the mentality of the offaly players will be in practise mode and the game will be mainly without any steel or contest, which wont stand to us in the semi final. I certainly wont be traveling the two plus hours up and down, paying in 30 quid to see a 15 minute match. The whole logistics and competitiveness of Ulster teams playing in leinster makes these matches tough to get up and go to.

A side note on stephen browne, saw him play last weekend in the league, doesnt look fit and didnt do a whole lot in the 50 odd minutes he was given. Id be very suprised if he is in the running for a starting spot.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Seems to be a lot of lads not going to this one it should be a handy win for offaly and i think they will bye anything between 15 to 20 points.
Thats the problem with offaly supporter's we are only sun shine supporter's. The first leinster hurling final i was at was 1980 and their was no one at it
there was some crowd at the semil-final again Galway doe.

I Think this group of hurler's can make the Breakthrough in the next two to three year's and will need all the support they can get this sunday
so what if it is only Antrim its a leinster quater-final and we have been down a few years so its not a game we should turn our nose up at.

if we are to win sunday and maybe got a bit of luck and got to a leinster hurling final there's a lot of lads that would be going to the leinster final .
i am going sunday wouldn't miss a offaly hurling championship game for all the tea in china haven't since 1979.

I know in my heart and soul that there will be more from Antrim at the match sunday than offaly and after all the good day's they gave us over the last
30 year's we have small memories so lets get out next sunday and give the hurler's a shout UP OFFALY

Ferbane Forever
Junior C

Post by Ferbane Forever »

C'mon lads, let's get behind the Hurlers on Sunday. Championship is championship. There's a crew travelling up from Ferbane as we have done for many a year though some lads are 'waiting for the Galway match'. Anybody know a good watering hole where Offaly folk might gather before the match to calm the nerves?

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Ferbane Forever wrote:C'mon lads, let's get behind the Hurlers on Sunday. Championship is championship. There's a crew travelling up from Ferbane as we have done for many a year though some lads are 'waiting for the Galway match'. Anybody know a good watering hole where Offaly folk might gather before the match to calm the nerves?
Well the bar in the Ground is not to bad i used to go to the fair view inn but it is closed now. also meeting up with a few lads from Birr that are going.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Faithful trio to miss Antrim tie

25 May 2010

Offaly look set to be without Stephen Egan, Ger Healion and Brendan Murphy for Sunday's Leinster SHC opener against Antrim at Parnell Park.

Corner back Egan and corner forward Healion are definitely out with shin splints and a broken finger respectively, while the game is expected to come too soon for midfielder-cum-attacker Murphy who is recovering from a back problem.

In addition, Kilcormac/Killoughey attacker Daniel Currams is a major doubt due to a hand injury.
"Daniel is out of plaster for about two weeks, but, as is to be expected, his hand is still a little sore and we don't know yet if he would be up to championship hurling," Offaly selector Pat Moloughney told the Irish News.

Manager Joe Dooley is expected to finalise his team tonight with the long-serving Brian Mullins set to get the nod over Kinnitty's James Dempsey for the goalkeeping position

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

If we are fortunate to open a lead I hope we don't drift.

Teams going anywhere need to be ruthless in their execution.

We've proven that we can be tripped up at any step. We cannot afford to let Antrim linger in the match if we are afforded an opportunity to put the matter beyond reach.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

There used to be a pub across the road from Donnycarney Church but it seems to have closed down. I'd say try get into the Craobh Chiaran clubhouse at the ground to watch 2nd half of Cork-Tipp or else St. Vincents clubhouse is down the road.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I'm surprised ye all want to watch the barging and mullocking fest that is the Munster hurling championship.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

FFS Kevin is in New Jersey and he's got more of a grip on likely proceedings than other fellas here who claim to have gone to every Offaly match for the last ninety-odd years.
Kevin wrote:If we are fortunate to open a lead I hope we don't drift.

Teams going anywhere need to be ruthless in their execution.

We've proven that we can be tripped up at any step. We cannot afford to let Antrim linger in the match if we are afforded an opportunity to put the matter beyond reach.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I find it beyond belief the arrogance of some Offaly supporters towards this weekends match. Discounting the opposition in such a flippant matter is inherently dangerous, downright stupid when your own team have endured a decade such as we just have.

Good league? Progress? Please. We had one good result against Dublin, followed by an absolute horror show the following week against the Limerick Junior C's. The rest of the games were of the close but no cigar variety. Anywho, since when has Offaly's league form counted for much. We enjoyed a couple a decent campaigns in the last deacde culminating in reaching the knock-out stages in 2006 where we lost to Tipp. Were any of those league campaigns converted in to good Campionship campaigns? Hell no.

I don't care that Antrim endured a bad campaign or that Watson is gone. We have no right, given the past few years, to demand a 10, 15, 20 point beating. Such arrogance is the perserve of Cork.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

I wouldn't call it Arrogance but if offaly struggle to beat Antrim on sunday they can forget about it this is not a good Antrim team.
This is Joe Dooleys third year over offaly there has been good days like beating limerick and unlucky again waterford in his first year
also getting back up and staying in Division 1 was a big plus this year.

There has been bad day's Wexford Cork in the championship last year losing to laois the year we went down in the league(made up for in the championship game)
the no show in the second half again the cats in 08, but in all fairness the cats bet every team that year bye 10 or waterford case 30 points .

That will bring us back to sunday's game i was at last years playoff game again Antrim and it was a dead rubber game for both team offaly won well and antrim knew
they weren't going down out of the Championship level for 2010. if Antrim had a good team and were there or there abouts in this year league i would be worried enough
about them but they weren't they were very bad this year in Division 2 and are not going well.

Talking to some people during the week they were saying remember 89, FFS that was 21 year's ago and Antrim are not even half as good as that side we have playing Antrim
four or five times since and gave them some bad beating's . if offaly were playing kilkenny sunday do you think they would be saying remember 1998 or say in football offaly
played kerry do you think they would be saying remember 82 no they wouldn't they go out and hand offaly a lesson in hurling or kerrys case football.

So with player's like Kenny, Frank's, Hanniffy, Dooley, Carroll, and Joe Bergin Offaly should go out sunday and put this Antrim side to bed early and win well
this is not Arrogance its fact's we know offaly won't win the all ireland this year but we are good enough to beat antrim if not they all can go over to Kevin in New Jersey for the summer.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

For jaysus sake if we can't put away this lot with ease on Sunday then we can throw our hats at it. I read last week that Antrim struggled to get lads together to play Dublin in a challenge match and with one of their best players Liam Watson leaving the panel then surely things can't be good in that camp. Just ask yourselves what kind of a hiding would KK, Galway,Dublin or even Wexford dish out to Antrim if they were playing them? Exactly. For the ''oh ya never know what will happen '' brigade will ye cop yourselves on, it's Antrim we are playing for crying out loud, in my opinion if we can't bury them by 10 to 15 points or hopefully 20 points or more then we have to start asking are we making serious progress :x