Offaly vs. Meath - Leinster MFC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ballinamereman1
County player

Offaly vs. Meath - Leinster MFC

Post by ballinamereman1 »

lads theres no tAlk about the minor match on here.. anyone hear the team or many travelling? guess not?

Phoenix
All Star

Re: offaly meath!

Post by Phoenix »

I hope to make it - I have to go to Dublin today anyway so only 50 km extra travelling down the N3 and back

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offaly MF vs Meath:

1.Matt Carragher
2.Conor Lowry
3.David Hanlon
4.Cian Donohoe
5.Joe O'Connor
6.Declan Hogan
7.Stephen Hannon
8.Noel Andrew Graham
9.Johnny Brickland
10.Stuart Cullen
11.Derek Kelly
12.Peter Cunningham
13.Paul McPadden
14.Pat Camon
15.Eamon McCabe

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Just heard the final score.. Offaly 1-9 - 1-8 Meath.

Great result for the minors after trailing by 1-4 - 0-3 at half time. Great comeback.

They will now play the winners of Laois and Wicklow in O'Connor Park in the semi-final.

Thats one victory over Meath this weekend,lets hope theres another one tomorrow :D

Come on the Faithful

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks for the result!! I didn't make it to the game and I'm delighted.

To come back against the home team in Navan is an achievement to be proud of.

When is the O'Connor Park semi-final?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just back now, and utterly delighted - these lads can be very proud, that was a great way to win a game - dug out of a difficult situation with great heart and competitiveness. Any team would start to have a few mental wobbles if they were losing 1-2 to 0-0 after missing a rake of chances, but in fairness to these lads they hung in there well and kept doing the right things. Even after conceding a point to go one down in the third minute of injury time, they kept their heads, forced two great turnovers and scored two fine points to win it.

No credit to the referee who spoiled the game by essentially banning physical contact, and who gave three arbitrary handpass calls in the whole game, despite ignoring many dodgy ones.

The entire backline was superb, either four or five of the starting Meath forwards were replaced, while at midfield the lads won plenty of ball and kept looking to get involved. Great save from Carragher in the goals when we had got back to two points down, one of many turning points, while up front the lads kept showing for ball and fought like dogs, albeit not always winning out.

I don't want to single people out generally, but I do have to say I was delighted for Barry Cushen. The ball didn't run for him at all against Longford and you couldn't fault the decision to take him off that day, but in fairness to the lad he never hid, he kept showing out in front, looking for work and doing the right things. Today he came off the bench and scored the crucial goal, and he deserved it.

All round it was heartwarming stuff. I'm not sure as I type whether we have Laois or Wicklow up next, but if these lads show the same attitude and hopefully don't have the same nervy start in front of goals, there's plenty of potential there for a good long summer. :D
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Laois beat Wiclow by a point.
Offaly vs Laois is in O'Connor Park on Saturday 26th June.

esb_lad
Junior A
Club: Rynaghs

Post by esb_lad »

Great win by the boys.. How did our pat go? If the laois match is fixed for the 26th,we may face a conundrum! Minor hurlers hurling kilkenny that day and pat camon is the captain of that team with joey o'conner also involved..

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

esb_lad wrote:Great win by the boys.. How did our pat go? If the laois match is fixed for the 26th,we may face a conundrum! Minor hurlers hurling kilkenny that day and pat camon is the captain of that team with joey o'conner also involved..
There's no way they'll put the two games on the one day - I'd say it's almost certain that the football will now get moved to the following Wednesday.

Like most of the team, Pat did a lot of good work today. He never got into the game at full forward but when he moved back to midfield he won a lot of breaking ball and generally supported quite well. Wasn't one of the ones you'd pick out as leading lights, but played his part without question. Joey O'Connor really came into the game in a big way towards the end actually - he was going very strong in the closing stages.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly vs. Meath - Leinster MFC

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Great to see Offaly teams pulling games out of the fire at underage.
It will eventually start to tell at senior level.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Outstanding news!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Offaly 1-9 Meath1-8:

AFTER CONCEDING a lead of five points in the opening quarter, Offaly finished the stronger to outscore the hosts by 0-2 to 0-1 in the five minutes added on at the end of this quarter-final at Navan’s Páirc Táilteann on Saturday. Conor Devereaux shot Meath’s goal on 10 minutes but with Noel Andrew Graham an inspiring figure, the deficit was reduced as the home side held 1-4 to 0-3 at the break.
Offaly had the better of the third quarter, with a goal from substitute Barry Cushin giving them a 1-5 to 1-4 lead. The sides were level three times and a pointed free by Shane Barry appeared to have sealed the win for Meath before late scores from Graham and Stephen Hannon sent the Offaly contingent away happy.

OFFALY: M Carragher; C Lowry, D Hanlon, C Donohoe; J O’Connor, D Hogan, S Hannon (0-1); NA Graham (0-4, two frees), J Brickland; S Cullen (0-1), D Kelly (0-2), P Cunningham; P McPadden (0-1), P Camon, E McCabe. Subs: B Cushen (1-0) for McCabe (16 mins), J Flattery for Cunningham (46 mins).

MEATH: C McHugh; A Doyle, C McGill, A Forde; F Toolan, E Lynch, P Haslam; F McManus (0-1), C Sheridan; P Fox, D Queeney (0-1, free), S Barry (0-3, two frees); D Devereaux (1-1), D Landy, L Tolan (0-1). Subs: C O’Brien for Queeney (33 mins), S Mattimoe for Cunningham, B O’Brien (0-1) for Landy (both 50 mins), C McConnell for Fox, B McMahon for Tolan (both 55 mins).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 13567.html

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Young GAA star one of four fatalities on roads

Monday May 24 2010

A TALENTED GAA minor football star who was just weeks away from beginning his Leaving Cert exams died in a car accident yesterday.

Liam Tolan (17) was one of four people to die in separate accidents during a grim weekend of road carnage.

He was killed when the car in which he was travelling crashed into a ditch shortly after midnight yesterday.

The teenager, from Rathfeigh in Co Meath, was a passenger in the car when the accident happened at Ballyhack, Kilbrew, in Ashbourne.

The driver and a second passenger, both teenage men, were not injured. But Liam was taken by ambulance to Our Lady's Hospital in Navan, where he was pronounced dead.

A student of Ashbourne Community School, he had played for his local GAA football club in Skryne and was a member of the Meath minor football panel.

Silence

Just hours before his death Liam had played for the Meath minors against Offaly in the Leinster championship.

He had been on the Meath team which won Leinster senior vocational honours earlier on in the year and had also lined out for the minors in 2009.

A minute's silence was held in his honour yesterday at the Meath vs Offaly Leinster Championship game.

Last night, Dermot Carty, chairman of Skryne GAA football club, said Liam was a star in the making. He added: "He will be sorely missed. The club is postponing all activities until after the funeral."

Liam is survived by his mother and father and two brothers. His funeral will take place on Wednesday in Curragha church at 11am.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 91866.html

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

whats going on here men.. last friday night i started this forum as there was no talk about the match on here. i was at the match myself and was it any suprise to see low offaly support no it wasnt. but what makes it hard for me to stomach is people didnt comment on them before the game but when the win low and behold everyone has their say.. im not slaten people here and we all should give the lads praise as they beat a well trained and fancied meath team.. but could we see a bit more disgusting on these website about the lads in future and before the match aswell

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

ballinamereman1 wrote:whats going on here men.. last friday night i started this forum as there was no talk about the match on here. i was at the match myself and was it any suprise to see low offaly support no it wasnt. but what makes it hard for me to stomach is people didnt comment on them before the game but when the win low and behold everyone has their say.. im not slaten people here and we all should give the lads praise as they beat a well trained and fancied meath team.. but could we see a bit more disgusting on these website about the lads in future and before the match aswell
have to agree with you ballinamereman 1 was at the minor hurling match in mullingar two weeks ago i think there was 50 from offaly at it an thats been kind.
was back home later and went for a jar and lads were running them down and they didn't know who was playing for offaly not alone they never even seen them hurl
thats the problem with offaly supporters there's alot of them support offaly from there bar stool's on a sunday night.