Convention

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Mise
Junior A

Post by Mise »

The Biff
All Star

Rule 42

Post by The Biff »

To answer Mise, I am actually in favour of amending Rule 42 to allow other games be played in Croke Park, with appropriate restrictions that I wont go into here again.

My point on the first motion mentioned above was merely a technical one, i.e THIS motion wording is useless. However, I believe that there will be a good and valid motion wording that WILL go before Congress next April. The Past Presidents committee have been instructed to vet and MODIFY motions so as to ensure that they are IN ORDER for Congress debate, so ... it's gonna happen. Whether it is Tommy Kenoy's motion from Roscommon, or one from Kerry or whereever, there will be at least one motion that will go all the way onto the Clár.

Finally, it is indeed valid that this topic is still dominating local GAA debating time. Yes, it was voted on before and on that occasion it secured over 66% support. The only problem was that it did not secure over 66.66666666% support, failing the 2:1 majority required by effectively less than 1 vote. You cannot say that it does not deserve to be debated and voted upon again now.

Treasurer
All Star

Convention

Post by Treasurer »

Chairman - Ollie Daly (Paudge Mulhare pulled out)
Secretary - Christy Todd

Sid didn't go forward as Leinster Council Delegate

Debated the Rule42 Motion, which as pointed out wasn't a "proper" motion, but agreed in principle to the idea behind it (despite a table thumping speech about keeping out "invaders"!) - wording to be redrafted before being forwarded for congress.

St. Brigids got Club of the Year.

Think that's about it!

Mise
Junior A

Post by Mise »

Well i have to say im disappointed to say the least - and embarrassed that my own county would be stupid enough to dig a knife into the gaa's back cos that is what this will end up being. if this gets thru congress it'll start out as a temporary arrangement and then lauded by media & govt as being so successful and wonderful that it will become a permanent fixture...mark my words. its the classic example of gettin the foot in the door..
& yes biff i know its goin before congress anyway, but the less counties who are seein to back it the better chance of it being defeated - the only reason their voting for it to go to congress is cos they think its the "forward thinking" thing to do...it really disturbs me how easily led by the media irish people are these days..dont fool yerselves into thinkin you did the gaa any favours last night, ya didnt, lets be clear and straightfoward here - the only favours done were for fai, irfu, bertie and the treacherous sean kelly.
im so disgusted im tempted to boycott offaly matches from here on in.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Mise wrote:im so disgusted im tempted to boycott offaly matches from here on in.
I'm glad I'm not a man of principles!
Last edited by Bord na Mona man on Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loughers
All Star

Rule 42

Post by Loughers »

I agree with Mise. This is the thin end of the wedge. I don't see any cranes over Lansdowne Road, and you won't either. Probably still go to matches though.

The Biff
All Star

Congress

Post by The Biff »

Although I'm in favour of changing Rule 42, I will admit that I'm not totally confident that the change WILL actually happen. Don't lose yourselves in despair yet Mise and Loughers.
Dont underestimate the chances of a last minute development that could swing the vote (just like the last time).
Dont underestimate the chances that the FAI could do yet another cock-up that copper-fastens opposition to any deal.
Dont underestimate the influence of Frank Murphy & Co. I reckon he's just keeping his powder dry until the "right time".
Even if 20 County Boards pass motions supporting the principle of change, that doesn't make the change inevitable. Anything can happen, and probably will. :twisted:

Mise
Junior A

Post by Mise »

well i hope youre right & it wont come to pass but still - we're playin division 2 hurlin this year for heavens sake, we've had players on strike, trouble gettin managers, complete disarray in camp and what are we worried about? whats our main concern at the convention? lettin poxy soccer and rugby into croke park... its embarrassing
betchya anything the players will have the exact same grievances come next year - cos our county board was too worried about lookin good for the media instead of sorting things out. get your priorities right, your job is to promote gaelic games and only gaelic games. youve dishonoured offaly with that vote.

Mise
Junior A

Post by Mise »

in fact priorities are so ar**ways at the minute, we'll be lucky if we're not playin the christy ring cup in a coupla years

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Mise wrote:in fact priorities are so ar**ways at the minute, we'll be lucky if we're not playin the christy ring cup in a coupla years
At least we'd have a good chance of winning it.
I'd expect us to win the Division 2 league title this year btw.
Hopefully against Westmeath in the final.
Another day out for the lads!

Loughers
All Star

Ollie Daly

Post by Loughers »

Boys, who is he? He's from Ballycumber, right? Young/old? Like his hurling? I want to get to know the REAL Ollie Daly.

Pool Shark
Junior A

Re: Ollie Daly

Post by Pool Shark »

Loughers wrote:Boys, who is he? He's from Ballycumber, right? Young/old? Like his hurling? I want to get to know the REAL Ollie Daly.
Yep from Ballycumber. Comparitively young as GAA people go. Late 50s maybe?