How far ahead are Birr this year?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

How far ahead are Birr this year?

Post by Lone Shark »

Having been in Geashill yesterday I didn't get to either of the hurling games, but on looking at the results on aertel, you have to ask what is going on in Birr - they are cutting loose and beating good teams by huge margins, as much if not more than the kind of margins they were winning by in their heyday.

I'm aware Coolderry are still over in Group 2 and tootling along nicely, but seriously -

11 point win over Drumcullen - fair enough. First game of the season, settling in and winning at a canter with the game over by half time.

14 point win over K/K - the only one I've been in attendance at, and a phenomenal display. Scores from all angles and loads of different players, against a side coming in on form and with probably as good a set of young players in the county.

24 point win over Ballyskenach - now you're taking the p***. 'Skenach were county finallists two years ago, and even if they do have a few gaps in the team, they ain't mugs - they had a good win over Rynagh's, and still have some very good players. And all this with Hayden in America, or so I was led to believe.

I know the knockout games have to come, and anything can happen in one game over an hour, but honestly - can they really be stopped? Coolderry are looking good by virtue of playing against more moderate teams in Group 2, Lusmagh look good in group 3 but will surely get mauled when they meet one of the big boys, and Rynaghs will fight hard but still lack the star quality needed to really stay with Birr, at least for another couple of years.

Following on from that, are they All Ireland contenders again on this form?