IFC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Scobie
Junior C

Re: IFC

Post by Scobie »

Who played well for Walsh Island??

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

John Ryan was excellent at full back for Offaly footballers. He could have filled this position for Offaly for a few years when it was a problem position.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Fair play to Walsh Island. They have been training away hard and have had a very professional attitude (this will stand to them in senior) in the last 3 years. They weren't going to be caught out this year. They will have momentum next year and could well emerge from their group....they should avoid relegation at least in my opinion.

Relegation in senior will be interesting next year....I feel that if Edenderry don't get their act together they could drop.....also Erin Rovers wil need to be very careful next year as its easy to hit a slump after the good year they've had.

John Ryan was a fine performer and could never be questioned for effort in either code. Hocker you're saying he's only 33, that amazes me I thought John was surely late 30's but that just shows how many miles are on the clock....he must be playing senior since he was very young.

Finally on Doon I think they looked poor against us in the quarter final a few weeks back and they don't look ready for senior yet......with Croughan and Walsh Island now out of intermediate I think it'll be competitive next year with Shannonbridge as favourites but it won't be easy for them.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Walsh Island

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

One for the football anoraks:

Lads when did Walsh Island last play senior football? I recall they went down to junior ranks at one stage, and right enough I see they won the Junior football title in 1996.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Walsh Island

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:One for the football anoraks:

Lads when did Walsh Island last play senior football? I recall they went down to junior ranks at one stage, and right enough I see they won the Junior football title in 1996.
I think they were already gone from senior by the end of the 80s?

blue+yellow
Junior B

Post by blue+yellow »

shannonbridge wil win intermediate easily next year no doubt about it, they dont deserve to be down there, just really bad luck this year... there way better than any team down there

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

the ifc really only has been a yearly kick about for the relegated senior teams over the last few seasons ,edenderry last year , st brigids the previous one so if this trend continues shannonbridge should be back senior in 2011

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

blue+yellow wrote:shannonbridge wil win intermediate easily next year no doubt about it, they dont deserve to be down there, just really bad luck this year... there way better than any team down there
By the look of things, Shannonbridge wont be winning anything easily next year so do not be fooled!!

blue+yellow
Junior B

Post by blue+yellow »

2 flannerys jason kelly david corbette these boys will run rings around teams in intermediate next year+ john ryan is gonna carry on for another year.. the coming year wil make shannonbridge a better team a year out of senior wil do them good
have a little faith in the bridge hocker :)

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

blue+yellow wrote: have a little faith in the bridge hocker :)
Hocker used to be the Lord Haw Haw of Offaly GAA on the internet.
He was the voice of terror, delivering messages of impending Shannonbridge dominance to the cowering masses. :)

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

blue+yellow wrote:2 flannerys jason kelly david corbette these boys will run rings around teams in intermediate next year+ john ryan is gonna carry on for another year.. the coming year wil make shannonbridge a better team a year out of senior wil do them good
have a little faith in the bridge hocker :)
I doubt if we'll see the frog around this neck of the woods next year Blue n Yellow?? David Corbett is gone travelling too for the year so we wont see him... It looks like John Ryan will give it a lash for one more year after a re-think so we can be hopeful I suppose! We just need to hit the ground running from February!

We shall wait n see!

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

In the absence of a Walsh Island contributor, I would hazard the guess that it was 1992 and it was Senior knockout at the time.

On a separate note I would fancy the Island to make a Senior final in the next 3 years.
Might not have the panel to win it though.
Lots of quality, and you can't beat size in a team.
After seeing them a couple of times in the last year my advice would be to use it a bit more :evil:
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The upcoming Leinster intermediate campaign should be a good guide as to how good they really are. They were definitely the best team in the IFC this year by a margin, and seeing as other teams have won the IFC and competed well in Leinster, then surely if the Island are a cut above, they'd have to be there or thereabouts in terms of actually winning one.

It's a very tricky draw in that the Laois teams are usually not bad and chances are they'll be away to Clonaslee in the first match, but still you'd like to think the Island have the tools to do well here. The biggest worry would be the gap between the Doon match and the 8th November, when they'll be out next. That's a long time to try and keep things ticking over, particularly in "bonus territory" as they are in now.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

Silken Thomas wrote:

In the absence of a Walsh Island contributor, I would hazard the guess that it was 1992 and it was Senior knockout at the time.

On a separate note I would fancy the Island to make a Senior final in the next 3 years.
Might not have the panel to win it though.
Lots of quality, and you can't beat size in a team.
After seeing them a couple of times in the last year my advice would be to use it a bit more :evil:
I'm only an Island blow-in, but seems to be 1988 was last year of true Senior Football. Bit of confusion as there was Senior 'B' championship back then, rather than Intermediate.

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Walsh Island's last year in the senior championship was 1992, I remember cos it was Shannonbridge's first year in Senior (which they were beaten by Ferbane by 2 points in a playoff where the winner got into the semi final) and along the way they beat a Walsh Island team in which a certain Richie Connor was still playing!! The island were subsequently relegated that year... after that i don't know what happened them.