Hurlers in 2006

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Hurlers in 2006

Post by Lone Shark »

Okay, so we've salvaged a little bit of dignity for the season, and a few players have really stepped up and proved that they are worth the slot in the long run, and others finally seem to have found their niche.

Allowing for a better run at the league to get ourselves set for the championship, but still with a lot of problems to be solved, what kind of lineup are we looking at for the Leinster Semi in 2006?

(I know I'm all the time starting these nonsensical hypothetical discussions, but sure indulge me! :P )

1 Breeder Will come under pressure from McDermott, but occasional concentration lapses aside is still one of the better keepers in the country.

2 Franks Didn't have a great year, but proven in this role and one of the best lads we have.

3 Oakley Immense on Saturday. All doubters officially silenced. Will get the Allstar he deserves next year. :P

4 Cleary Not the quickest, but is first and foremost a defender, and there's a lot to be said for that. Has come on a lot in the last year.

5 Claffey A big loss this year - I never liked him in the corner, he's too loose, but at wing back is still well capable of mixing it with the best.

6 Rory Absolute revelation in this role. It's been tipped to happen for some time, but still was great to see.

7 Teehan Came into his own in his more natural position. Will have to bulk up to mix it with the likes of Gorta etc, but looked at home there.

8 Diggy As soon as he figures out that you don't have to pull on every ball on the ground he'll be a huge player. Great to see him tearing into Lynch with no fear.

9 Gary Maybe a little bit much proclaiming the puzzle solved after one good show in the middle, but his height and range are very useful here.

10 Murphy Any further out and it's out of his scoring range - but it gives him the space to use his pace and attack the goals if the opportunity presents.

11 Joe Bergin Big ask for the lad first year out of minor, but he has the size, the hurling and the aggression to pull it off. Somebody of his nature is needed, and we may as well let him grow into the role.

12 Eamonn Lee Similar argument. Good under a high ball, able to take scores, and could really impose himself from this position. Would need the league to develop, but certainly worth a shot.

13 Carroll Needs to get more dogged when things aren't going his way. Still a natural finisher though.

14 Brown He could be lethal here if he'd just get as fit as he should be. Not very quick, but would rob goals with crafty flicks etc that are second nature to him.

15 Hanrahan Honest, good scorer and a nice touch. In pole position for the moment