Croke Park Presentation

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Biff
All Star

Re: Croke Park Presentation

Post by The Biff »

John Kenny cant have enjoyed being man-handled like that. There can be little doubt but the clear pitch is a much better option for the players, both winning and losing. This opens up plenty of new opportunities for good new traditions, like proper celebratory Team photos (as in pic B), laps of honour, and there'll be no more Captains speeches that have to start off with "Move back ... move back ... dont crush the kids at the front ...".

Someone else mentioned the kids going on the field at half-time. Curiously I can see that in a different light. O'Connor Park is a great example of how this can work without being a problem at all. There is no mad scramble or dangerous fence-climbing for Officaldom to worry about. And when the ref comes back out a gives one loud blast of his whistle, you'll never see a pitch to clear quicker. Some of the Down fans near me at this year's game thought it was a wonderful idea and great how it just seemed to happen by its own accord.

Granted at the end of the matches in OCP, it's obviously easier for the winning fans to get on as well. But I think the scale of such invasions doesn't warrant comparison with the equivalent in Croker.

So Croke Park should stick with Plan A (and Picture B - well done BnMm on getting your example backways), but dont extend the "legislating" for non-existent problems in provincial grounds. The "ludaramaun" at the small Club and county grounds will always have his opportunity to be an idiot, and he should be dealt with accordingly.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Give me the old fashioned pitch invasion any day over the utter shite of listening to GAA teams bounching up and down chanting that yobish "Champione, Champione are we are we........." Now that should be banned!

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

John Kenny is delighted!!

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

the presentation yesterday worked becos tipp have a more dignified class of supporter..

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

bracknaghboy wrote:Give me the old fashioned pitch invasion any day over the utter shite of listening to GAA teams bounching up and down chanting that yobish "Champione, Champione are we are we........." Now that should be banned!
Agreed, it was all so sterile. Def favour AZs idea of delaying the supporters by 5-10 minutes, and then letting the supporters on in an orderly manner, if they knew they could get on the field there'd be no mad crush and these lads are men in the prime of their health and strength. I don't think they mind a little bit of rough housing when they're being lifted onto someones shoulders.
The night is darkest before the dawn

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Well done to GAA , and its corporate partner, RTE on depriving us a stirring rendition of ‘Galtee Mountain Boy’ by Pat Kirwick immediately following the presentation .

Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BQlrrIr8uA

The man should have written himself into GAA folklore alongside Joe Mc Donagh, Pat Delaney et all.

Instead the producer (some Trinity Arts twat, no doubt) cuts to more of Loughnane/Cyril/Mulcahy as if there wasn’t enough punditry for half the day before it.

His Lordship Christy Cooney, in his red tie, was tugging out of Kerwick as he was singing.

Then we get a Premiership / NFL-style recording of the winning teams song – in this case paddy Reilly singing Sliabhlamon.

And Marty ‘the human fish’ Morrissey addresses the crowd – they should be grateful.

I can handle being kept off the pitch. But being denied a great tune by a member of the winning side is too much for me.

I’m writing to the Croke park Politburo to express my outrage.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

I notice the tradition of showing the champions of 25 years ago has been lost on rte too of late.
Better still, this time they has a piece pitchside as marty the martian was calling out the team, so you couldn't hear a thing!

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Gerry Carroll and Johnny Mooney certainly looked like they were enjoying themselves being tossed around on lads shoulders back in 82.

But then I suppose players were real men them days.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."