we will beat clare

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Flatcap
Intermediate

we will beat clare

Post by Flatcap »

ive been watching hurling for a long time and i think we have every chance on saturday. this clare team doesn't get goals, which is usually what beats us. the panel will be happier for having cut out all the messers, and although claffey and franks are big losses, i think if we can go in without fear and mix it up with them around the middle we should get enough breaks to fire over 16 or 17 points and keep them down to 14 or so.

maybe i just need better medication, but i think well win.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

The Clare lads are not that confident either. I think we still have that 'Offaly' mystique in some places. I was listening to the preview on Clare FM last night, and they are bricking themselves in case this is the game that Offaly really show up for.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Clare Match

Post by Lone Shark »

It's amazing how that lives on. Five years since we've had anything along the lines of an upset, and still we're famous for them!

While I wouldn't go as far as to say we'll win :( I do think we are well matched with Clare, and as such this was always going to be the game we had a chance in.

Taking on sides where they're full back line is their achilles heel (i.e. Waterford/Kilkenny) does not suit us, because we don't have the full forward line to take advantage. A Kilkenny club FB line would be able for our inside lads. What we need is a team that is short on pace out the field, so we could run around them, and a team that don't necessarily have a load of consistent scorers. In that regard Clare suit us.

We will have to up the physical stakes in a big way, but that's why I'd be keen to see Hoctor and O'Hara involved. It's also why I'd have played Neville if he was available, but what can you do, you move on.

Gilligan has run up some savage numbers on us down the years, so we need to cut that out, but if that can be done, we have the players that can pick off points from out the field (Cordial, Carroll, Hayden etc.) - so just try to find space and take the shots from wherever they present themselves.

We'll need to run the Clare lads into the ground as well, which is why I would have preferred if the game was in the afternoon rather than in the cooler climes of 6.30pm, but all in all we're not without hope.

I still expect around a seven point defeat, but I'm not feeling the same despair as in the lead up to the last two games.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I think its the kind of team Offaly should be playing, they are beatable. It would have been a tough assignment in Cusak park but a "home" venue of Portlaoise will be to our advantage.
Coughlan is a big loss in this game where his physical presence and speed would be very useful.
Is the win against Galway in the challenge game something to get excited? Any eyewitness accounts or opinions on that?
All the pressure will be on Clare and that will suit us.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't think we'll win, but ........

..... Cashmans 10/11 Offaly plus TEN.

I said the same when I saw fourteen two weeks ago, and I'll say it now - ten is too big. We're not very good, we all know that, but last year we had an absolute mare against these lads - in their home venue basically - and lost by nine.

If the lads have any pride at all we won't be that bad. Ten is a huge margin for a team like Clare which wouldn't have anything like the scoring power of Waterford or Kilkenny.

Obviously I could be wrong, but that and Donegal at 1.6 with Gamebookers will be my bets for the weekend if anyone's interested!!

Loughers
All Star

Offaly v Clare

Post by Loughers »

Lynch is doubtful and if he does play, he's not fully fit. Offaly have a point to prove. If we stay with them, we'll take it. Those odds are ridiculous. We were beaten before we went on the pitch last year. C*nts will probably beat Waterford though.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Clare

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Yeah, last year Gilligan was the first (and only) man to clean Oakley, when he brought him out to the left corner alot. With Sid back, expect him to cover the centre if (when) Clare repeat the drill.

Offaly are at a physical disadvantage (again). Must keep the ball moving.

Watched the OY v CE vid last night for all times sake. Half back line, Sid & Rigney won that game. Interesting how hard the team worked, hasling the claremen in possesion all the time, never gave them time to settle. Something this team seems incapable of. Lads, the 90's team might have had a laid-back attitude off the field, but this was cast aside on the big days. Take note.

Another thing to watch will be the antics of the Clare backline at throw-in time. Apparently, this is a measure of how "up for it" they are.

And get stuck in and keep that feckin ball movin at all times.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Will Offaly take much heart from the Challenge match win against Galway? Any eye witness accounts or opinions from it? I agree that it will be hard for Clare to beat us by more than 10, they will need goals and Offaly were unlucky to concede a goal in Carlow against Waterford. I won't be able to go to the game so I'll be depending on accurate reports fromthe rest of ye :wink:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Gilligan doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders this year the same as he was last year, so you'd hope that the potential for him to wreak havoc by himself is not there.

Last year we might have had a good fitness guru, but whatever Mike Mac was , he wasn't a tactical wizard - I'd be optimistic McIntyre will be able to pick up on stuff like the Gilligan movement last year.

I really find it hard to see Clare running up a huge total here - If we can keep the goals out we should have every chance.

I know it's late in the day, but I'd still like to see us play with a free man - Sid - at the back and pull a forward out of it. I think we have a lot more chance of sneaking a 1-13 to 0-14 type game than we do taking them on toe to toe and trying to beat them in a race to 25 points.