Colleges Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Loughers
All Star

Colleges Hurling

Post by Loughers »

I see we (Birr C.S.) beat Cistercian College Roscrea well in the Leinster Colleges. 2-18 to 1-11. Great result against St. Kieran's last week with a draw. A good run in this would be a huge boost for underage hurling in Offaly. Any of the rest of ye attend my old alma mater?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Colleges

Post by Lone Shark »

What way is that working this year? It used to be knockout, but I take it that they are doing group stages now. Who else are in their group?

My old boys started on hopefully another good run today too. Gallen CS beat Blessington VS handy enough in the first round of the Leinster Vocational Schools. Not as strong as last year, but should still give a good account of themselves in the competition. Ballymahon VS look very good this year though.

Treasurer
All Star

CCR

Post by Treasurer »

CCR is actually in Offaly too, though they seem to be recognised everywhere as a Tipperary school! Usually a sprinkling of Offaly natives involved - don't know anything about them this year. They've been putting a big effort into the hurling in recent years, though it continues to play second fiddle to rugby there.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Cistercian

Post by Lone Shark »

I saw that they're down as an Offaly school alright. I'd say they get a reasonable amount of Skenach(Treasurer?? - do they??), Shinrone and a few of those places, but even so I'd imagine it would be hard compete with the VS down there for hurlers. I'd imagine in the long run colleges "A" is a huge ask for them. Good to see them trying though.

Saw the Birr team in the paper from the last day - tis a good outfit, but not one you'd have seen getting a draw with Kierans. Fair play to them, but on paper at least you'd say they shouldn't be matching up with a side full of All Ireland minor finalists. (I see the fast tracking of Aaron Whelehan goes on too - colleges A is a big ask of a 15 year old)

Treasurer
All Star

CCR

Post by Treasurer »

It's a boarding school, so very few locals going there, apart from teacher's son, who are allowed attend as day pupils. Don't know of any locals there at the moment.

Most 'Skenach lads would be in school in Roscrea, with an increasing number going to Templemore since the inception of the Community School. Shinrone would probably be split between Roscrea and Birr.

This cross-border schooling put me in the position a few years back of shouting against the brother who was playing for Tipp Voc Schools against Offaly.