who would you bring in?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
minor
Senior

Post by minor »

even though i completly agree with LS about kilmurrays skills as a football manager he is just going to have to be left there for the team to get the chance to develop instead of changing managers every year.

but you would wonder what the county board were thinking when they brought in kilmurray, i mean i have never heard of him managing before this, did he ever have any success with any football team on any level?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Kilmurray

Post by Lone Shark »

He managed St. Brigid's in Dublin, guiding them to a county title. He then got in a row with half the club and was turfed out. Not too many up there have a kind word to say about him now to be honest.

He trained Coolmine CS in the Leinster colleges A for a long time as well. Didn't really pull up any trees with them, and to be honest was a big part in why they lost an acrimonious game in Ferbane against Saran's back in my time. They had a much better panel than we did, but the game became scrappy, not helped when one of our "umpires" tried to report the Coolmine corner back to the ref for throwing a punch, and when the Ref rightly ignored him as biased, he promptly walked over and decked the corner back himself. Anyway it all got very heated, but while Ray O'Loughlin and Paddy Egan were calming the Saran's lads down and getting them to keep their heads, Kilmurray was geeing his lads up even worse - they ended up with 3 lads sent off and lost the game 2-3 to 2-2. (!!)

So you can see why I don't have the greatest of time for him as a "keep your head while all around you are losing theirs" kind of guy.

The Biff
All Star

Come on now

Post by The Biff »

Come on now LS, admit it ...... that corner back was marking YOU.

Or were you the "umpire"? :P

Lone Shark
All Star

Afraid not.

Post by Lone Shark »

Nah, while Coolmine had a better panel than us, we were still strong enough not to have to use anyone of my, ahem, "limited" abilities. I was merely a spectator.

Twas feckin great fun to watch though.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Was I playing that day???

Nice reference to Paddy Egan :)

Lone Shark
All Star

Coolmine

Post by Lone Shark »

You were long gone at that stage AZ. October 1995 that would have been.

Had to give him his name, it's not like writing down "Dad" would have made sense to most readers..... :D

minor
Senior

Post by minor »

you can't just tell us that story without telling is who the umpire was? or at least give the rest of us ferbane crowd a clue??

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Needless to say no Ferbane lads would have any truck with that sort of behaviour.... :P

If you find a Doon Man of around 29 who owns a pub in Moate you won't be too far away.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Tom Fitz and Mark Cass (Rhode ) are in with Grennen,Kenny,Raff and Barry Malone out. Mooney is injured, Roy is........well Roy is Roy but is available i believe for selection, Nigel is nursing a dodgy foot but should be available if required i believe.
Casey also has an ankle or foot problem.

Hunt is there, and the rest will crown Jimmy.
And by the way im still looking to see when Niall will have that alleged Groin operation !!.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I think its stupid, Grennan, Kenny and Raff walking off the panel. I mean to train all year in the shit and muck, give of your time, and put in all the work and then to opt out as a championship match approaches?? It makes me wonder if the attitude of the players is right at all. If they put their minds to it they could have a long run yet. I think Grennan is a huge loss he's a great man to come in off the line when things aren't going well at midfield.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I agree with your sentiments LS about Killmurray - he doesn't inspire confidence - as said before asking a spectator what time is left in CPk etc and then when the lads return to training after a week off he proceeds to do warm up as normal and then announces that they will have a game of soccer accross the width of O Connor Park..........need I say anymore.
I'd sat the lads found training with their clubs more beneficial on their week off - only an opinion!

I believe Roy is rearing to go, hopefully he will inspire like in the league last year down in Dr Cullen Park