Offaly Senior Football Championship 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Colin H
Junior C

Offaly Senior Football Championship 2009

Post by Colin H »

wel lads what do ye think? rhode again? gracefield? clara? I personally think gracefield will really challenge rhode this year!

I have watched them in the league this year and they look very good! Now I am from gracefield and im not just sayin this because of this,i am really serious! they looked very strong in the league and have good players in every position!

a goalkeepeer with a huge kickout,some good backs includin karol slattery and adrian murphy who was with the offaly minors last year,niall smith in the middle of the field who I think is the best fielder of a ball in the county,some good forwards includin ruairi allen and peter smart!

now i know rhode will be favourites to win it again but i think if they win it,it wont be as easy as the last few years with the likes of gracefield and clara challengin them!!

what do ye think??

Hocker
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Championship 2009

Post by Hocker »

Ferbane or Gracfield might be decent each way bets... But Rhode are still out there on their own.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Okay, with the start just around the corner, here's my run down on all the clubs, including Ladbrokes' odds as well.

Rhode evens Obviously still the benchmark against which all other teams must be judged, however if they are missing Niall Darby for the summer, that will be a huge loss. We all know what Niall McNamee can do but Darby's pace means that opponents can't afford to just sit back and defend the long diagonal ball - they must also watch for the burst of pace from the midfield area. It's a dynamite group that they're in and at even money, I'd be a layer rather than a backer.
Tullamore 10/3 Simply could not have them at this price. They lived a charmed life to reach the last two county finals and though they should reach the knockouts again and definitely have a fair few handy young lads coming up the line, this is way too short. Can't see them winning, certainly not with Shane Dooley likely to be occupied with the county hurlers for at least the full month of July.
Shamrocks 4/1 Talent not in question, but it would be understandable if Colin Dunne's death shook the life out of the club somewhat. I'd say most people would have been delighted to see them win a championship anyway so they'll definitely have a lot of neutral support this year, but finding a competitive midfield might be of more use. Tough group, but real contenders.
Gracefield 5/1 I fancied them last year and they fell short against Rhode, I suspect that they might have come on a bit - though perhaps not quite enough. On the one hand their league form was encouraging, but it was somewhat eerie to see Kieran McEvoy still leading the line for them. They'll be competitive though and I'd have them over Tullamore any day.
Clara 13/2 Another handy group, yet again filled with potential, but I don't know if their backline has the strength to do it. I've tipped them up for years on end and I'm beginning to lose faith - which is probably a good sign if you're a Hawk.
Ferbane 16/1 Plead the fifth here.
Ballycumber 25/1 Real dark horses at this price. Their attack is as good as there is in Offaly, Rhode included, though obviously they don't have anything like the same level of supply from midfield or the kind of defence needed. Still, their movement and range of scorers will cause a lot of teams problems. If they do play Rhode first up, then that's tie of the round with huge upset potential.
Erin Rovers 33/1 Declan Kelly's injury banjaxes them somewhat, which is a pity because I love the way these lads compete. I can still see them edging out Brigids for all that - and if Alan Lynam is playing half as well as he did last year, surely he won't be ignored by the county selectors again.
Edenderry 50/1 Very good league, plenty of decent younger players and competed well against every opponent last year. A lot depends on their preparation but they will undoubtedly be looking on this group as a real opportunity and have the ability to make good on that.
St Brigids 50/1 I can see these struggling to stay up, funnily enough. They were miles ahead of anyone else in intermediate last year but a few high profile absentees will hurt them and the sense of deja vu if they do get drawn into a relegation scrap could be a problem.
Tubber 50/1 More and more focus is being put on their "golden generation" of lads aged 18-21, with Bernard Allen, a minor, already seemingly carrying a huge amount of their scoring workload. Again, you have to respect them and they will fight to the last but they didn't stand out in division two and will need to resist the temptation to just let Ciarán McManus do everything when things get tough. I'm not sure what's the story with Noel Browne - he didn't play against Raheen and his absence would rob them of an obvious outlet.
Shannonbridge 66/1 Seemingly the banker bet for relegation, I'm just too cynical to believe that it will be that straightforward. They're not replacing any of the older lads at all and there's only so long you can keep looking to John Ryan and Anthony Kelly to fill crucial positions, but they have a knack of winning at least one game every year to save themselves and could easily do the same again.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Are those on the ladbrokes website? Cant seem to find them on it. Want to put a bit of money on clara, think edenderry would be worth an each-way bet - although it pains me to say that as i think they are an arrogant shower!
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

theman wrote:Are those on the ladbrokes website? Cant seem to find them on it. Want to put a bit of money on clara, think edenderry would be worth an each-way bet - although it pains me to say that as i think they are an arrogant shower!
I think they may have timed out today. I've sent an email to the guy involved so they should be back up by the end of the day.

Plus I'd really appreciate it if people didn't put up any negative comments about Edenderry for the next week or so, it wouldn't do for there to be anything out there to give them any extra motivation.... :P

corneyback
Junior B

Post by corneyback »

Jaysus "The man" that was a bit harsh about Edenderry but you entitled to your opinion!!!Did they do something wrong to you???Funny feeling that things may have slightly changed for Edenderry.Won div 2 but would have been expected to do so.God only knows what team will turn up for the championship.Jack Sheedy has lads interested and they've a few off the winning minor team from a few yrs ago.It'll be an interesting match against Ferbane.It'll tell alot as to how Ferbane are going and how Edenderry are going!Word has it that Ferbane are flying.Think this match could be on July 11th.Suppose that depends on the footballers/hurlers!

rhodeman2
Junior C

Post by rhodeman2 »

wel lads what do ye think? rhode again? gracefield? clara? I personally think gracefield will really challenge rhode this year!

I have watched them in the league this year and they look very good! Now I am from gracefield and im not just sayin this because of this,i am really serious! they looked very strong in the league and have good players in every position!

a goalkeepeer with a huge kickout,some good backs includin karol slattery and adrian murphy who was with the offaly minors last year,niall smith in the middle of the field who I think is the best fielder of a ball in the county,some good forwards includin ruairi allen and peter smart!

now i know rhode will be favourites to win it again but i think if they win it,it wont be as easy as the last few years with the likes of gracefield and clara challengin them!!

what do ye think??

what do ye think??
colin h....who is the gracefield goalie with the "huge kickout"??

Colin H
Junior C

Post by Colin H »

rhodeman2 its morgan hennesy,why?

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

Colin H wrote:rhodeman2 its morgan hennesy,why?
He wouldnt have the best kick out in the world...
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Ferbane's biggest advantage is the Kevin Gavin factor.
He has forgotten more about football then most in the County will ever know.

A partially fit Aidan Keenaghan is a big loss to Ferbane though.
According to the whispers he only got a cast off his arm in July.

If ever anything needed testing... :twisted:

All told, it's better to be losing to Rhode by three or four than beating Doon by the same.
Far be it from me to belittle an All-Ireland winner but the higher standard of preparation for Ferbane both in League and training makes Ferbane a genuine threat for the title let alone this battle.

Edenderry beware :(
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Silken Thomas wrote:Ferbane's biggest advantage is the Kevin Gavin factor.
That doesn't sound promising. :mrgreen:
"We can turn this game around in the 2nd half...How much did ye say a goal is worth again lads?"

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

only seeing this now
think edenderry would be worth an each-way bet - although it pains me to say that as i think they are an arrogant shower!
Arrogant Shower? A bit rich coming from a fella whose club call themselves the "Real Reds".
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote:Ferbane's biggest advantage is the Kevin Gavin factor.

A partially fit Aidan Keenaghan is a big loss to Ferbane though.
According to the whispers he only got a cast off his arm in July.

If ever anything needed testing... :twisted:

All told, it's better to be losing to Rhode by three or four than beating Doon by the same.
Far be it from me to belittle an All-Ireland winner but the higher standard of preparation for Ferbane both in League and training makes Ferbane a genuine threat for the title let alone this battle.

Edenderry beware :(
The Edenderry GAA public relations department would be proud of you ST, worthy of PJ Mara that bit.... :D

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

True Red wrote:only seeing this now
think edenderry would be worth an each-way bet - although it pains me to say that as i think they are an arrogant shower!
Arrogant Shower? A bit rich coming from a fella whose club call themselves the "Real Reds".
Dont know where your getting that statement from because our club colours are mainly white with a bit of red. Never heard of any one from the club call us the real reds?
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more