Waterford Match

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the bare biffo
All Star

Waterford Match

Post by the bare biffo »

Given the defensive disaster that was last Sunday, just wondering is there any merit in naming Brian Whelahan at full forward and playing him between full back and half back lines as a sweeper. This sort of role would surely suit Brian to a tee and he would be able to deliver quality ball wide to the forward line. Also I would imagine having extra space would be more beneficial to our light forward line than having Joe Brady standing around.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think we need to tactically change our defence.
Our half backs played too far forward the last day.
This allowed the Kilkenny full forwards to start dragging our full backs around much more.
Space was created behind our cover to devastating effect.
For the first couple of goals, potential covering men were too occupied with man marking instead of closing the runner, or covering in front of Breeder.

We need to defend the edge of the square as a priority.
Back in the days, Kevin Kinahan could always marshall in front of the goal because of the cover afforded him by the half back line.
Hubert Rigney was a traditional enforcer centre-back, no flashy stuff, just defending and certainly no gaps left!
Sid would always be the man sweeping back in front of the full back line.

Cassidy and Hoctor never seemed close enough back to assist the men in the corners.
Shefflin was only required to beat his direct marker for most of his scores.
The problem might be further out though. In order to crowd our own half more, we need our midfield to play deep.
Neither Murphy or Cordial are defensive minded, and they both lack physique.

Otherwise we need to pick and extra defender, as Clare did with Alan Markham against KK last year.
Saturday would be the right time to try it.
Flynn, Mullane, Shanahan etc. are as good a forward line as there is.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Partial Agreement

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm not sure I agree totally. I like the idea of Whelahan as a free man, but I do think Joe Brady can give us something different in this role. He got very little ball in against Kilkenny that suited him, and he did win a few frees off Hickey. I'm not saying he covered himself in glory, but I wouldn't be singling him out as the one who should be dropped.

I know he runs up decent totals and is a good free taker, but I'm still of the opinion that Damien Murray doesn't really contribute a lot from free play, and certainly if you're bringing in Sid, he could take the frees as well as anyone. I'd drop him before Brady. Let Carroll have free rein and give Smurf acres of space in front of him as well.

Bogman
All Star

Sid as Spare Man.

Post by Bogman »

Brian Whelahan as Spare Man - Genius Idea! It suits his style so well.

It wouldn't be my Plan A for Sunday, though. The Waterford full back line and goalie are supposed to be vulnerable so I wouldn't give them the luxury of a spare man. Plan A for me would be Joe Brady and two fast corner forwards.

Plan B then would be Damien Murray (used to play sweeper under Mickey Mac) or Brian Whelahan playing the spare man role.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

What now?

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Still can't get Sunday's massacre out of me mind. The only consolation being that we won't meet a team like Kilkenny again this year. Unless the corner backs stay 10 yards off their men :x

As for Waterford. Another very physical team who under Justin now play direct.

Who stays? who goes?

Offaly suffered las Sunday bu having two attacking midfielders, and were overran by Lyng and Barry running on to take ball from their half-forwards on the run. So Murph goes to the forwards. Hayden stays (did well, shouldn't have been first forward off), so do the Hanniffys and Brady (to do a job). I'd drop Carroll and Murray (his habit of bringing the ball 20 yards further away from goal before controlling it is very annoying. Carroll now contributes nothing. Maybe give Parlon a chance.

Backs. What to do with the full back line. Teehan's a goner. Wonder will they play Cleary? He was a surprise debutant. Will he be strong enough for Dan the Man, Flynn etc. Perhaps restore Kevin Brady to corner back.
Who's going to run after Mullane? What of Franks? Would Franks do a job as the defensive-minded midfielder?

I'll go with:-
Mullins,
K Brady, Oakley, Cleary
Hoctor, Cassidy, Brown,
Cordial, Franks,
Gary, Rory, Murphy,
Parlon, J Brady, Hayden.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Train Sunday

Heard on Radio 3 that there was a delay on the train Sunday morning and that the team were stranded at Tullamore station. Do any of ye know anything about this.

And why did the subs come out the players' tunnel, turn right and up throught he crowd to the back of the Lower Hogan at half time in the WX-LS game?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Regarding the team I have to say I like the sweeper idea. I've been an advocate of dropping both Murray and Carroll for a while now, so I'd go along with that certainly. Joe and Brendy maybe as the two man full forward line - or even Joe and Rory with the space for Brendy to run into. Same personnel anyway except Sid for Parlon.

I'd be very slow to lose faith in Franks as a corner back, whatever about Teehan. But equally with Teehan, he's been a good player for so long, Sunday was just too bad to be true and it came on the day he was assigned Shefflin.

I'd leave the full back line as is, your half back line makes sense, although Hoctor impressed me to the point where I would pick him at centre back - ridiculous and all as that sounds, he'd have Sid on his shoulder so he'd be okay, and Stephen and Cassidy are better at maybe pushing forward that little bit and getting within range for scores.

Which only leaves the extra midfielder. We need defensive and we need somebody able to both put in the yards but scrap it out as well. Hard to know though - Neville would have been ideal - Mulhare maybe?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Sweeper

Very quickly, Id be reluctant to use a sweeper, as it takes time to get used to it. We don't play a posession game, we play direct so the opposition's free defender is going to sweep any low ball going into the FF line. Takes too much time to get used to, as lads won't know where to stand. Not a runner.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm aware it takes time, but truth be told we need to do something. It's a good technique for keeping scores low and keeping better teams in check, as evidenced by Clare last year against Kilkenny. If we try to hurl Waterford in a straight game without something up our sleeves we're in for another hiding. I've already seen one handicap of ten points. :(

Sid would have the nous to carry it off on one end, so it only requires a little direction to ensure that we direct our clearances if possible.

Regarding the train, the trains were held up, and I believe the team were on the train and had to be transferred on to a bus. I've no idea what time it took or anything though. Bogman would be able to tell you better - he was on said train.

Flatcap
Intermediate

Post by Flatcap »

im blue in the face saying it, but healion should be full back. solid defensive and mobile and would mind the square. the only natural full back hurling in the county at the moment.

himself and tanner centre back would at least be a solid spine if not the most talented in the world.

Alan
Junior C

Post by Alan »

Hi lads, i find it very interesting once again that we are still speaking about what Joe Brady brings to the team, he is a big honest to god fellow but he is anything but an intercounty hurler. In reference to using sid as a sweeper, he was made for the position, particullarly now that he hasnt the speed he once had, he is after all the greatest exponent of how to read a game. Again i must say and lets all be realistic about this, Carlow on Saturday evening is a damage limitation fixture, and to limit anything you have to play to your strenghts, thats why sid must play between the half and full back line. One last comment and i love to know what your replys are, Kilkenny were class on Sunday last, Offaly were terrrible, now was it or is it your opinion that two may fellows with the famous Green white and gold on their backs had no passion, have no guts have no bottle to even put up a fight last Sunday. From a very passionate supporter who comes from a good GAA famimly im sorry to say but i think that was the case last Sunday. Have a good one lads.

Lone Shark
All Star

Passion

Post by Lone Shark »

Alan wrote:Hi lads, i find it very interesting once again that we are still speaking about what Joe Brady brings to the team, he is a big honest to god fellow but he is anything but an intercounty hurler.
I agree that he wouldn't get on to a KK, Cork or Waterford team. I also think that if the choice at full forward is Joe or another light nippy lad who's not really able to win his own ball then I'd say Joe. Yuo have to remember that of the scores we did get a lot were frees, and a few of those were from Joe being fouled. I think he poses a different kind of threat, and if there were an obvious replacement on the bench I'd say fair enough, but there isn't. There's a few lads on this county team I'd drop before him anyway.

Alan wrote:In reference to using sid as a sweeper, he was made for the position, particullarly now that he hasnt the speed he once had, he is after all the greatest exponent of how to read a game. Again i must say and lets all be realistic about this, Carlow on Saturday evening is a damage limitation fixture, and to limit anything you have to play to your strenghts, thats why sid must play between the half and full back line.
I agree completely. I think the Sid would be a better extra man than whoever would be his counterpart for Waterford, it would limit space and our delivery in would be better than theirs. I know it would be a new system, but I certainly think we should try it, if only as preparation for the Clare game which looks like being the do or die fixture.

Alan wrote:One last comment and i love to know what your replys are, Kilkenny were class on Sunday last, Offaly were terrrible, now was it or is it your opinion that two may fellows with the famous Green white and gold on their backs had no passion, have no guts have no bottle to even put up a fight last Sunday. From a very passionate supporter who comes from a good GAA famimly im sorry to say but i think that was the case last Sunday.
It's a fair enough conclusion to come to, but the truth is I do think it's because we just pick too many lads for whom aggression is not their way of hurling. I think there's a danger of mistaking "passion" for breaking hurls off lads. Lads like Cordial and Franks I would count completely committed and whole hearted hurlers who would never give anything less than their best, but they will always look to outhurl lads rather than physically dominate them. That's not to imply that they are cowardly - far from it, but just that they look to win the ball and take whatever contact that entails rather than nail the other lad with a shoulder first and then pick up the ball while the other fella is off balance. That's just an instinct, and I believe we need to find more aggressive hardy hurlers to balance the team. But the truth is they don't exist in the county, at least not of an intercounty standard.

Welcome on board anyway Alan. Hope we'll see you in Carlow tomorrow.....