the so called gulf between senior and intermediate

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalyman
Senior

the so called gulf between senior and intermediate

Post by offalyman »

well folks,just looking at the results from the weekend from the div 1 and 2 semi-finals,walsh island beating shamrocks,raheen beating tubber and edenderry who struggled to beat doon,the gulf between senior and intermediate is not that great at all your views

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: the so called gulf between senior and intermediate

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd hardly look at one weekend of league results as conclusive proof. It's been three years since any intermediate team other than the one who had just got relegated managed to get promoted, so I'd say they'll have to do a bit more than have one good weekend to prove that the gap is in fact closing to any significant degree.

Look at it another way - in the closing round of Division three, both Killeigh and Kilcormac/Killoughey beat Birr while Gracefield beat Tullamore - by that logic Junior is closing the gap on intermediate as well.

It's as it always was I reckon - player for player there might not be a lot between bad senior and good intermediate teams, but when push comes to shove the senior clubs are the ones who tend to dig out a result or two in tough circumstances and in Offaly, the perennial intermediate teams have proved that they just can't do that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I've had the (mis)fortune of seeing plenty of intermediate football in my years and I can tell you that the gap in 2009 to senior is huge. The Island are an exception and Raheen are decent but methinks they wouldn't repeat that type of result too often. Intermediate still has plenty of fine individual players but the teams are generally slow and poor. Its between ourselves and Ballyfore for the drop this year to Junior and it will come down to our group game that will ultimatly decide our faith. One thing I do know is that whoever drops from intermediate this year wont be back for a few years thats how poor things are.......i've never known Bracknagh to be as butal..............................

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

I'd hardly look at one weekend of league results as conclusive proof. It's been three years since any intermediate team other than the one who had just got relegated managed to get promoted, so I'd say they'll have to do a bit more than have one good weekend to prove that the gap is in fact closing to any significant degree.
In fairness to the Inter teams mentioned, you dont get to league semis and finals on 'one good weekend'. That said, your spot on about the senior teams abilities to dig out results, compared to the Inter teams who are always not quite there.

It wont be four years of team relegated from senior going on to winning Inter though!! Although Doon came down with Edenderry when senior was reduced to 12 teams 2 year ago, and have been beaten by the eventual champions since, they must be rank ahead of Rynaghs to go up? I'd put the Island and possibly Raheen and Birr ahead of Rynaghs also.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

OffalyDub wrote: In fairness to the Inter teams mentioned, you dont get to league semis and finals on 'one good weekend'. That said, your spot on about the senior teams abilities to dig out results, compared to the Inter teams who are always not quite there.

It wont be four years of team relegated from senior going on to winning Inter though!! Although Doon came down with Edenderry when senior was reduced to 12 teams 2 year ago, and have been beaten by the eventual champions since, they must be rank ahead of Rynaghs to go up? I'd put the Island and possibly Raheen and Birr ahead of Rynaghs also.
No, but it's still only league, which obviously is not the best reflection since teams are missing county players etc.

It's hard to figure out Rynaghs - possibly they've just lost all interest this year and Horan going to the States won't help them, but they still have a lot of talent there. The difference between winning intermediate and staying senior is that to win intermediate, you have to play well all year long - to stay senior, if you can just have one very good game and time it right, you might be safe - and for years Rynagh's mastered that art. I suspect switching to sustained solid play might be a bridge too far myself, but I'd rate them all the same and if they get as far as a semi final, I'd be very slow to write them off.

It looks like it's Walsh Island's to lose in fairness, losing Richie Connor as manager could be the best thing that happened them.

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

Aye, only league. Still though, ya'd expect better from Rynaghs. Both Raheen and Doon bet them, with 3 of Rynaghs 4 wins coming against Bracknagh, Clonbullogue and Ballyfore. No offence to them, but they'll probably be the teams battling against relegation in Inter championship. Sure we'll see soon enough! Only a few weeks now......

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

2-up, 2-down would help Offaly football.
Senior clubs who are masters of surviving, but not of thriving would need to show a little bit more ambition.
Intermediate clubs, who have talent, but just get edged out every year at the scramble for the escape door would have something more to fight for.

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

Bord na Mona man wrote:2-up, 2-down would help Offaly football.
Senior clubs who are masters of surviving, but not of thriving would need to show a little bit more ambition.
Intermediate clubs, who have talent, but just get edged out every year at the scramble for the escape door would have something more to fight for.
Sounds like a good idea, but would it detract from Intermediate final a bit if loser was going up regardless? Maybe a playoff between losing Intermediate finalist and 2nd worst Senior team? Only a thought.

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Well who do you think of the senior clubs in offaly that would win the intermediate next year if relegated this year?
Shannonbridge? No - Would barely be competitive in Intermediate next year, Surely odds-on to be relegated in '09
Tubber? Maybe - Probably would be the strongest in Intermediate
Erin Rovers? No - Semi-finalists at best in second Tier.
Edenderry? Maybe - One of those teams too good for Intermediate, hardly good enough for Senior.

On this year's showings so far I'd give the weakest 4 teams in Senior championship the following odds for relegation:

Shannonbridge 4/7
Tubber 6/1
Erin Rovers 3/1
Edenderry 3/1

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Hocker wrote: Shannonbridge? No - Would barely be competitive in Intermediate next year, Surely odds-on to be relegated in '09
On this year's showings so far I'd give the weakest 4 teams in Senior championship the following odds for relegation:

Shannonbridge 4/7
Tubber 6/1
Erin Rovers 3/1
Edenderry 3/1
The Shannonbridge propaganda machine starts again!! :D Shannonbridge are a battle-hardened Championship team that could finish top of that group as easily as finish bottom of it and I would definitely not bet against them if they met any team in a relegation battle.
The night is darkest before the dawn

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

Hocker wrote:Edenderry? Maybe - One of those teams too good for Intermediate, hardly good enough for Senior.
This could apply to St Brigids as well me thinks.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Edenderry? Maybe - One of those teams too good for Intermediate, hardly good enough for Senior.
I love this website.

Write us off.Sure we are useless. :twisted: :wink:
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Walsh Island must be heavy favourites.
They are far more balanced than years ago and possess real class all over the field.
They've mixed very well in the Senior league and as I mentioned before I don't believe in the downgrading of the league's importance.
It's quite an accurate barometer of football forces.

Rory Connor has returned from Alaska.
Ross Connor must be finished up in Liverpool for now.
While the likes of Gary Comerford is still plugging away.
Lest I forget Alan Mulhall's improved training techniques. :) .

The Island to win with Doon and Raheen the only two who can attempt to stop them.

As for Senior, relegation will blight either St. Brigid's or Shannonbridge.
Tiny outposts with limited panels and dare I say talent :D

Rumour has it that Seán Casey will play no part in Senior Group games whilst Shay Hannon is unavailable for 2009.
Shannonbridge's gutsy nature can't keep them alive forever with no real replacements being produced for the likes of Donal Claffey, Fergal McEvoy and Colm Kenny.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I love these threads - bald headed angling to be written off by all and sundry - God knows the Bridge PR machine is definitely out in force.

I think saying that Erin Rovers would struggle to win intermediate is to do them a dis-service. They might struggle this year in the absence of Declan Kelly, but at full strength Erin Rovers are a very competitive team which any club up to though maybe not including Rhode, would do well to be very wary of.

Edenderry are a trickier beast to figure out. Very competitive in every game last year, still managed to be only a few minutes away from relegation. Again, I don't think anyone would be so stupid as to underestimate them, but they're probably a bit below the second tier of Clara/Tullamore/Shamrocks/Gracefield, i.e. the possible usurpers of Rhode's crown. Enough good minors from recent seasons to suggest that they're ready to embark on an upward curve though.

john locke
Junior A

Post by john locke »

Walsh Island are most definetly the only exception - Raheen bombed against edenderry in divison 2 final not able for the pressure at all , Walsh Island have been consistant against all seniors teams this year in divison one - its their champoinship too lose - doon and raheen will have to hope it all goes to their heads but for the first time in a long time the Islanders seem to have it all under control as regards getting carried away with themselves
Sometimes you meet your destiny on the road you took to avoid it