Offaly team vs. Kilkenny

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly team vs. Kilkenny

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Breeder Mullins

Barry Teehan
Ger Oakley
David Franks

Daniel Hoctor
Kevin Brady
Colm Cassidy

Michael Cordial
Brendan Murphy

Gary Hanniffy
Rory Hanniffy
Dylan Hayden

Brian Carroll
Joe Brady
Damien Murray

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Offaly boss John McIntyre has named his side to face Kilkenny in next Sunday's Leinster SHC semi-final at Croke Park, but there is no place in the starting line-up for Faithful legend Brian Whelahan.

The former Hurler of the Year returned to training last week, after it was reported he had retired from the inter-county scene.

The Birr man has not played for the county since limping off against Wexford in last year's Leinster final.

Kevin Brady takes over in the heart of defence, flanked by Shinrone youngster Daniel Hoctor and Colm Cassidy.

Dylan Hayden makes his first championship start as he joins the all-Birr half-forward line.

Ger Oakley goes from midfield to full-back, while Brendan Murphy reverts from attack to partner Michael Cordial in midfield.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Pretty much what I'd hoped for. Oakley at full back is the kind of strength we need against Kilkenny.
A big half forward line to try and contend with Kilkenny's high catching half back line.
Hayden would be more robust than Parlon, who needs to fill out a bit more.
Maybe more muscle at midfield would have been nice.
That said, Brendan Murphy should cover the ground and can run at the Kilkenny defence if there are gaps.

This will be a test for Offaly. If we really want to, we can give Kilkenny a right good game and make them sweat. I hope there isn't any pessimisn in the camp, because if we take the field with the attitude slightly wrong, then Kilkenny won't show any mercy.

Bogman
All Star

Good shape to Team!

Post by Bogman »

What's the verdict on the selection? Personally I'm glad that Sid is being held back as a possible impact sub and that John McIntyre has kept faith with the lads who have been there all year.

The spring and winter leakage of goals make Ger Oakley's return very welcome. We need his strength and pace at the full-back position.

Kevin Brady deserves his chance at centre-half-back although it is a tough assignment vs Kilkenny. Dylan Hayden was supposed to have been very impressive against Waterford so good luck to him. Daniel Hoctor likewise, a tough station but he has plenty of dash and spirit to sustain him.

Let's hope they all come out of it having played well and we can go on in good heart!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Bogman wrote:What's the verdict on the selection? Personally I'm glad that Sid is being held back as a possible impact sub and that John McIntyre has kept faith with the lads who have been there all year.
Even if the intention was to start Sid, it's unlikely they'd announce it on the team released to the press.

Hopefully we'll be well in touch, when Sid is brought on.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Team

Post by Lone Shark »

I have to say I'm pleased. I'm glad to see Oakley back, and certainly I'd prefer to see Sid coming off the bench than starting. Though as BnaM man pointed out, they probably would have named him on the bench irrespective of the plan. Teehan is a good corner back and belongs there, and the half forward line looks like it could do damage if it can compete with Kilkenny in the air. And certainly anyone watching Clare and Tipp on Sunday saw the damage that a big old style full forward can do, even in this day and age.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but even so I'm worried about both the half back and full forward lines.

Murphy could easily make a good midfielder, but I'm not sure I love the idea of taking one of the few natural goalscorers on the team so far away from goals. That would be my main concern there. Instinctively I'd have switched himself and Rory.

Loughers
All Star

Mood in the camp

Post by Loughers »

Was in the pub with 2 of the boys on Friday night (both drinking minerals). :) Mood is very good. Good morale boost having Sid back. They reckon the team is (almost) as strong as it can be. Also, for the first time in 3 years we have a manager that has a clue after the ineptitude of McNamara and Fr. Tom Foolery. The "almost" refers to Brown. I think he should be starting. Lone Shark disagrees with me on this one. Any other fans of Stephen out there?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re: Mood in the camp

Loughers wrote:Fr. Tom Foolery
Good one.
:P

Bogman
All Star

Stephen Brown

Post by Bogman »

I'm a big fan of Stephen Brown. I think he should be on the team and the only question is where he should be played.

He's a perfectly competent score-taker in the forwards and he really embarrassed Noel Hickey a few years ago at full forward but he also looks really comfortable facing the ball and sweeping up at half back. At half back he has the ability that some special players have to attract the ball - he seems to hold his position and all the ball comes to him.

At the same time I like the balance of the team that is picked.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

i'll be away and i'll miss this one lads.
I'm getting excited about it though!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Brown

Post by Lone Shark »

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I think he's not worth a place - I just think that he can occasionally disappear out of the game for long spells, and he has a tendency to gain weight and to perhaps not be as prepared as some other players.

With that said, he was in great form in Birr's recent match with Kilcormac, and looked very good at half back. Our full forward line as things stand wouldn't scare anyone though, and I would have had him in the team over Brian Carroll.

Loughers
All Star

Full Forward Line

Post by Loughers »

Agreed re. full forward line. Murray's not a bad free taker, but isn't great in the open. Carroll has been poor all year. Big Joe was good against Carlow, but this isn't Carlow. His vision extends to about 2 feet either side of him. He might cause trouble though.

the bare biffo
All Star

Re. Sunday

Post by the bare biffo »

Still a case of trepidation rather than expectation. As stated above, probably close to as good as it gets for Offaly at the moment and McIntyre is definitely an improvement on the line, but compared to where Kilkenny are at !!!!!!!!!

Might be sittin in the stands with me eyes closed hoping for the right sound effects before I open them.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

HOPES AND FEARS

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Keane could perhaps have taken the title of their current album from an assessment of our prospects on Sunday, as we dare to hope of what might happen if things go our way, yet that hope is tempered by the fears of the floodgates opening especially if an early Kilkenny onslaught occurs.

I can’t help recalling the words of Pat Joe Whelahan in the aftermath of Birr’s win over Gowran in the Leinster Club final (Mike McNamara had been appointed Offaly manager earlier that week) when he said “I showed how to beat Kilkenny- hit them hard and keep the ball moving”. If Offaly are to compete they will have to keep the ball moving at speed into their forwards to give them every chance of escaping the shackles of a bigger, stronger Kilkenny backline. In addition, the forwards will have to act as defenders from No. 15 back. Offaly’s best chance of holding the Kilkenny forwards is the stop the supply of ball at source. Offaly defenders cannot hold out against Shefflin, Carey & company if they receive an endless supply. Joe Brady is the best candidate at full forward to slow down Hickey’s delivery. Notice how Darragh Ryan didn’t begin to dominate last years Leinster final until Brady was switched to the alien territory (for him) of wing forward. Hickey likes to handpass his way out of trouble, so the angled run of the supporting defender will have to be covered. Ditto Peter Barry, who usually has JJ Delaney coming infield to help. A lot rests on Gary Hanniffy covering Delaney’s run. Gary will meet stiff competition in the air from Delaney, and if he doesn’t win much of Mullins’ puck out Offaly are in trouble. This is probably Offaly’s primary source of possession. He’ll also need to be wary of the ‘Kilkenny handshake’, the practice of wrapping the hurl around the opponents neck under the dropping ball. Strong refereeing is needed here.

Time too for Dylan Hayden to perform, probable the only surprise in the selection. I feel Stephen Brown might have been the choice here. His finest stroke is his point scoring off his left from the left hand touchline, often without catching. Also good in the air, he could be first man introduced about the 50 minute mark. Kevin Brady is an interesting choice at Centre back. Kevin is good in the air, and it would be a big boost if he could break even with his man under the Kilkenny puck out. This year he’s more inclined to use his right side. Eoin Larkin took a lot of his scores in the club final by drifting out to midfield and beyond. But who’d have been the one to lose out had Claffey been fit to hurl? Midfield looks very attack-minded what with both Murph and Diggy. Each will cover ground and need to be at the breakdown in both half back/ half forward lines. They will however be faced by Derek Lyng and Bryan Barry, both of whom like going forward and can score at will.

The main fear is, or course, deadly Kilkenny forwards. Kilkenny will look to put Offaly away early, and its crucial not to leak goals. If a repeat of February’s Walsh cup occurs, and Kilkenny hit a quick-fire 2-5, we’ll be on the first train home. Having got over the first 15 – 20 minutes intact, we have to watch the typical Kilkenny goal before half time. Important not to down tools on the 35th minute but to stay going to the half-time whistle! Another is Kilkenny power, intensity and dominance in the air. Vital, then to keep the ball moving at speed and Joe B breaking ball for the inrushing Carroll and Murray facing goalward. Kilkenny’s fear is not of Offaly, but complacency (and Cork!). No matter how many times they tell each other to be on their guard, deep down they don’t really believe they will be challenged to any great extent. Public expectation won’t help their cause either. I would hope, too that the video of how Wexford beat Kilkenny last year will have been studied by Offaly (unlike the Galway management last year!).

Following the half time fag break (!) this Offaly team will need to do what it hasn’t done previously, and that is to actually perform in the second half. The most notable collapses have come in the two Wexford games. I don’t know why, is it an inability to control a game or what? Notable, too that Offaly resisted the temptation to play Sid from the start. Should we expect to see him introduced at corner forward in the last quarter? I expect he’ll spend some time on the touchline, warming up, encouraging the team in the process. Is this John McIntyre’s planned cure for the second-half syndrome? Other replacement options are Brown, Parlon (unlucky to lose out) and possibly Barry Whelahan.

Hard to know, then. Offaly appear to have picked a team to take the game to Kilkenny. Kilkenny have a clear advantage in experience, class, power and ability to take scores almost without effort. It’s a huge ask, but with all going well, Offaly can give them a big fright. Hope its not a draw though. We’ll be beaten out of sight in a replay.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Excellent analysis. I would be a little worried about Breeder's puckouts. Since he lacks the bit of power, he has to put a fair bit of elevation on them to clear midfield.
This never suits the forwards waiting underneath the slow dropping ball.
Fitzhenry, Donal Og etc are masters of the quick puckout. Quick - as in getting to their destination rapidly.
A strong hitter can send out the low bullet puckout that arrives to a loose forward too quickly for defenders to mark up.
We will need to to ruffle the Kilkenny half backs as much as possible. I presume Gary Hanniffy and co will be instructed to try and pull first time on dropping balls to keep it moving. If we always contest the catch, then Kilkenny will probably win a higher percentage.
Most backs don't enjoy competing against an overhead striker...if he is managing to connect. :shock: