LEinster JFC - Offaly v Louth

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Junior B

LEinster JFC - Offaly v Louth

Post by 96318104 »

It says in the papers that Offaly Juniors are out tonight in Tullamore at 7:30. With club championship matches at the weekend surely that can't be right or fair??

If the match is taking place does anybody know the starting lineup?

True Red
All Star

Junior Line-Up

Post by True Red »

Colin McNamara

Fintan Ryan Sean Casey Damien O'Donoghue

Padraig Sullivan Ger Rafferty Basil Malone

Mark Cole Martin Gorman

Rory Guinan David Egan Kilmartin?

Sean Ryan Alan Mulhall Stephen Weir
(daddy's boy)

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Hmmm...

Post by Lone Shark »

Good team - very strong across the backline. Not convinced at all about the middle, but then I've never seen Gorman play anywhere but in the full back line, so it could work. Worth a go at this level anyway.

Stephen Weir is a lad who disappeared off the radar entirely there, but if I'm not mistaken he'd still be only around 21/22, so it'll be good to see how he does.

Half seven in Tullamore is a little bit to awkward for mise working in Dun Laoghaire though. I'll be depending on you all for good thorough reports tomorrow....

Bogman
All Star

Two Point Loss

Post by Bogman »

Louth 1-10 Offaly 0-11

1 Colin McNamara

2 Nigel Grennan
3 Sean Casey
4 Diarmuid Donoghue

5 Padraig Sullivan
6 Ger Rafferty
7 Basil Malone

8 Martin Gorman
9 Mark "Chino" Cole (0-1) (21 Trevor Phelan)

10 Joe Quinn
11 David Egan
12 Rory Guinan (0-3)

13 Stephen Weir (20 David Lowry)
14 Alan Mulhall (0-4, all from frees)
15 Paul Kinnarney (0-3)

Offaly played against the wind in the first half and went in a few points down. In the second half cute customers like Colin Kelly from Louth maintained the gap.

The game turned on a few incidents. The goal in the first half happened because an Offaly back dropped the ball and the Louth forward toe-poked it over the line. In the second half a good movement resulted in an unmarked Chino getting the ball on the corner of the small parallelogram. He faked out the goalie but faced with guiding it into the net he hit it off balance and it went wide of the upright.

Alan Mulhall kicked a few nice frees from distance, showed for and laid the ball off consistently well. Paul Kinnarney scored three nice points in the first half, Rory Guinan got three over the two halves. Joe Quinn, Sean Casey, Nigel Grennan, Rory Guinan, Mark Cole and Ger Rafferty showed flashes of quality.

Bogman
All Star

Doon Players

Post by Bogman »

In a desperate attempt to boost my grade in the site by putting in another post let me also mention that Doon don't seem to have allowed their players to play for the junior team.

The Offaly Express (published on Wednesday) printed a team with three A.N.Others on it and said that Doon were having a meeting about their players' participation on Tuesday night. Fintan and Donie Ryan were the players whose release was in question. The meeting must have gone badly for the county because there were no Doon players among the panel who turned out.

MF35
Intermediate

Post by MF35 »

Regarding the Doon bies:
I know that Donie Ryan pulled up at the weekend with an ongoing hamstring problem. Was chatting to Inky on Sunday and he had sprained an ankle earlier that day during training.

Trevor and Des egan are both from doon....Right???? I see they were both togged out.

Who won the game?

Lone Shark
All Star

Injuries

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't doubt that the two lads mightn't have been feeling the Mae West, but something tells me that if Doon didn't have a championship game in a few days, we might have seen one or both.

Which is not to blame Doon, I'm sure the two lads are a lot more interested in playing championship for their club than they are in playing for a disinterested junior team for the county, and understandably so. Both lads have been around the scene long enough for county management to know all about them, a few games for the juniors won't change things.

Still looking at the team we had out, you'd fancy them to give the Louth seniors a game, let alone Louth juniors. The prep was obviously not all that it could have been.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Chino's miss was brutal - the side step was good though! Sean Casey could have been switched a bit earlier with Martin Gorman and I felt more use could have beeen made of Chops. Alan Mulhall was impressive enough, if only he had a bit more pace.

MF35
Intermediate

Post by MF35 »

How did Trevor Phelan look?
People say that he should get a run with the seniors next year. Is he to small?

I cant believe that Louth beat us!!!
Agree with LS on the team strenght.
This is alarming!

Lone Shark
All Star

Trevor

Post by Lone Shark »

MF35 wrote:How did Trevor Phelan look?
People say that he should get a run with the seniors next year. Is he to small?
With all due respect to the lad - and he is a grand fella - he'll be doing well if he makes the U-21 team next year.

He's a great threat in the club game because club defences invariably have a few lads that are good players but just on a downward spiral and aren't as quick as they could be - Trevor can burn them off with his runs easily. At county level you won't meet those softer touches, plus he's hardly what you'd call prolific.

I wouldn't say size will necessarily be the issue for him, and certainly if he continues to develop he has a future - knowing the lad I'd fully expect him to go about his business quietly and he wouldn't start losing his way or developing an attitude or anything - but like I said, the U-21's next year will be a good step for him. Realistically that team will have Dooley, McNamee, Ryan and O'Grady from this year's team returning, not to mention the likes of Casey coming into consideration. I don't know about Fitzpatrick or Kiely age wise, but forward wise they will have options.

He's certainly a long way off senior yet.

Bogman
All Star

Trevor Phelan

Post by Bogman »

Apologies for not mentioning that Trevor Phelan (Doon) played for a few minutes and that Des Egan (Doon) was in the subs also!

As they say in the newspapers when giving scores on players' performances Trevor wasn't on long enough to rate. He did give one good hand pass over a defender's head to (I think) Kinnarney which put that player through.

I think Trevor could make the senior panel in the next few years but maybe the wise move would be to blood him at Under 21 next year as Lone Shark suggests.

We're lacking pace in the forwards at both U-21 and senior level so he would be a good addition to the mix, especially if Roy Malone was to retire in the next year or two. He reminds me of Karol Slattery in the way that he carries the ball,

Bogman
All Star

Subs!

Post by Bogman »

Just for the record the subs on the programme were:

16 Declan Kelly (Kilclonfert)
17 Des Egan (Doon)
18 Ciaran Grennan (Ballycumber)
19 John Lawlor (Raheen)
20 David Lowry (Ferbane)
21 Trevor Phelan (Doon)
22 Darren Quinn (Clonbullogue)
23 Sean Ryan (Birr)
24 Niall Spain (Ballyfore)

Team Management: Brendan Clarke (Mgr.), Eamonn Mulhall, Laz Molloy, Hughie Egan.

Decent panel!