Is Sid back again

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
doobane man
County player

Is Sid back again

Post by doobane man »

Any truth in the rumour that HE is back training?

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Indeed it seems that HE is back, lets hope he can finish his illustrious inter-county hurling career with a good year.

Article from Gaa.ie

Whelahan back in Offaly panel

Tuesday, May 31

Birr legend Brian Whelahan has returned to Offaly's hurling panel. "He trained tonight and will be available for the rest of the championship," county secretary Christy Todd confirmed to Setanta.

The news is a massive boost to the Faithful County's hopes of some glory this year. They open their Leinster SHC campaign against Kilkenny on June 12 at Croke Park in the role of David versus Goliath. But, with the brilliant Whelahan in their side, John McIntyre's men won't be quite as fearful of Kilkenny.

Whelahan hasn't played for Offaly since the championship last year, and in April he reportedly announced his final retirement from intercounty hurling - before stating that the door was still open for his return.

The versatile Birr native has been in brilliant form at club level, which put even more pressure on him to accept the Offaly jersey for one last summer. Hurling fans all over Ireland will be grateful that he has decided to give it one more go

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Sid

Post by Lone Shark »

So where do we play him?

I ask because I really don't know. I like the idea of him playing full back, since it's usually tight spaces - his forté - less high ball, and the whole game happens in front of him. That way we could maximise the effect of his leadership. Plus it's far from a rock solid position for us.

Wing back, centre back and possibly even corner forward I suppose are other options - unless you leave him on the bench to plug a hole wherever it appears, and no doubt it will appear. Can't see him appreciating that though.

Wing back or full back for me.

Kevin
All Star

Wingback

Post by Kevin »

I hope Sid is utilized at wingback.

From a team perspective it is his natural position. He seems to do the most damage there and will be able to score the long range frees. The opposition could pin him down in a position like CHB or fullback. He will be much too busy marking to be able to contribute by gobbling up a large percentage of the loose ball and setting up the attack at which he is lethal.

Having him on the field will be an inspiration to the team and heighten the intensity of the occasion. Kilkenny looks to be a bridge too far for us this year, but let's not forget what Wexford accomplished last year. Perhaps they caught KK by surprise, but the fact is that they did it. We are every bit as good as Wexford. In fact I felt we let that Leinster slip through our fingers.

I'll stop now, need to throttle my hopes so they can peak on the 12th.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Sid

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I honestly thought this was a piss-take when I heard last night.

In all fairness, I don't know who's worse, Sid or McIntyre. 10 days before the team play Kilkenny is not the time for Sid (or indeed anyone) to return to the county panel. What message does this send to anyone who's been part of the panel all winter? He had several oppertunities to return and the reply was that he didn't have the time (which is fair enough, he's running 2 businesses). He was given a gyn programme back in winter to help strengthen his hamstrings which wasn't followed up due to time pressure (fair enough). So whats changed now? Where's he going to play? Centre-back and he'll be exposed. And he's not going to scare Noel Hickey if he plays at 14. Impact sub?I can see Sid being isolated at 6, and Eoin Larkin covering ground and him not able to keep up.

Part of the reason I was advocating man-to-man marking all winter is because we can't afford to play our own game here and let Kilkenny pay theirs and hope we outscore them. Rather we have to do our best to nullify ALL their hurlers as best we can. This is not the approach to take to do that. The reason Sid's hamstring went against Wexford was because he had to sprint flat out to cover the ground, because Wex were making him run, rather like a tennis player being made run from one side of the court to the other. Remember last Sunday and Pacal Kellaghan going down wth cramp.

It smacks of desparation on the part of John McIntyre. A bit like the leaving cert student who woke up on the 31st May and realised he had no study done.

I hope I'm wrong, and I've the height of regard for Brian Whelahan and all he's achieved and nothing that happens on June 12th and beyond will change that, but this is a bad, bad move by him, and John McIntyre.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Sid

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm not really sure what I think of this yet. I saw him against Kilcormac, and although he mightn't have been up against any Shefflins or Gortas, he was bloody good. The long range frees would be a weapon, and his leadership is still something that's lacking on this team.

I do worry about what Larkin etc. will do to him, but no more than I worry about what Larkin/Gorta/Dougal would do to Danny Hoctor or Kevin Brady either. Truth is it's not like we have a solid dependable 26 year old intercounty standard half back that's likely to miss out because of Sid's comeback. That's not meant as a criticism of either of the two young lads, but the truth is they haven't played championship hurling before, and that is a concern. Kevin Brady struggling to make the WIT team - not encouraging - while to my knowledge Hoctor won't have hurled in anything like this ever before.

I'm impressed that he isn't worried about the possible risk to his overall reputation, that his name would be sullied by getting skinned a few more times late in his career.

I am slightly worried about the message it sends out though. All these younger players are being told that we don't think ye can handle it, so we're getting Big Daddy Sid to come and mind ye. I'd prefer to see them taking personal responsibility rather than hoping Sid will do it all for them. I understand that's a kind of an exaggerated view, but it is a concern nonetheless.

I certainly appreciate the points POTH is making - and to be honest it's hard to disagree with any of it. However overall I get the feeling that we're in a bit of a Hobson's choice scenario here. Neither solution is ideal, but this might be the better one. But ultimately I'm only guessing.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

I don't think theres any doubt that he was a loss when he had to go off in last years Leinster final. I doubt that he has substantially deteriorated since then and may even be better.
So the corola (I cant spell corrollory) of that is that he has to be an addition this year.

I doubt if any young lad there is entitled to feel agrieved at Brian coming back. Firstly, Niall Claffey would have been a starter if available, so if Brian starts it will be in place of Claffey. Secondly Brian is an exceptional case, if it was Hubert Rigney or Kevin Martin coming back in it may be a little different. Thirdly he may not start anyway, in which case the youngster will be getting his opportunity.

As to where he would be played, I think it can only be wing back. He has been tried by Offaly at CHB and in the full back line and never looked convincing. For all his sublime touch, striking and reading skills, he was never a man marker.

Am I out of Junior B yet. :)

juteman
County player

Post by juteman »

Syd is taking the right decision.The day will come when he will not be good
enough to play & if he gets to that stage having quit before he should have
he will always regret it.Players want to play the game most of all (whatever the sport).It is not all about winning. Before Offaly hurlers came to the top would it have been right for its best hurlers not to play because the likelyhood was they were going to lose?
Syd will play well wherever he plays.He will inspire young lads around him.If they play to their best for the full match they are capable of beating Kilkenny.
Looking back to when Syd first came on the scene I recall the likes of Joachim Kelly staying on the team to help him (& the Pilkingtons etc.) to blend into the next team.
JUTEMAN

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Sid

Is Sid plays, then Barry MUST play centre-field. The reason being that Barry is the best man to cover the hole when Sid is dragged either side.

Can't wait for next week and the announcment of our team. The lineout against Waterford (which I haven't seen anywhere) is perhaps the strongest clue.

Someone elsewhere pointed out that Limerick beat Waterford in a recent challenge and thought they were the bees knees. Thats a fair point. However, it's good that Offaly were able to compete with a physically stronger team who are good in the air.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Taken from the Waterford new:
WATERFORD LOSE TO OFFALY

The blank hurling fixture list saw the Waterford squad availing of the opportunity to combine a weekend break in Killarney with a full blooded challenge against Offaly in the empty but wide expanse of Fitzgerald Stadium.

Offaly, of course, are preparing for their Leinster semi-final meeting with Kilkenny on Sunday week and if anyone believes that The Faithful intend just going through the motions, then think again.

Offaly spent the weekend in Killarney and, having sought the game with Waterford, showed sharpness and commitment to beat an almost full strength Decies side by 2-20 to 1-21.

It was a very worthwhile exercise for Waterford with the selectors taking the opportunity to once again run the rule over Clinton Hennessy in goal and they will have been impressed with the form of Jack Kennedy who scored 1-6 while operating at centre forward.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

No.6.

I suppose the thing to do would be to pick a big AN Other at No. 6 and leave the Kilkenny bize to stew until Sunday aft.
Worrying that the Waterford CHF took his man for 1-6.