Niall McNamee's Groin Injury

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Niall McNamee's Groin Injury

Post by True Red »

Niall has had this injury hanging over him since last January.He was told he needed an operation but in conjunction with the Offaly management and presumeably his club he has postponed it until the championship is over.Given the fact that he obviously wasnt at full pelt on Sunday and his shot selection and shot taking left a lot to be desired,maybe he should go ahead and have the operation??

8)

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Niall

Post by Lone Shark »

I've said this before - the danger is that there will never be a good time to take this operation. If Offaly get knocked out in June/July Rhode won't want him taking it then till november/december, and that's not allowing for a potential run at the Leinster club. Then UCD will want him, and then you're right back around to Offaly Under 21 season again, which is when this came up in the first time.

He should take it now, just like he should have taken it back when it came up first. He has ten years more football in him if we handle him right. He also has the potential to be more important to us than one extra summer playing at half pace.

the bare biffo
All Star

Get it done now.

Post by the bare biffo »

I second that emotion.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Bogman
All Star

Operation

Post by Bogman »

Absolutely, he should have the operation as quickly as they can get him into hospital. Niall has helped to keep us in Division One and he shouldn't take risks with his future.

Could Rhode win the County Championship without him?

Lone Shark
All Star

Re: Operation

Post by Lone Shark »

Bogman wrote:Could Rhode win the County Championship without him?
My guess is no. Which is worrying, because I'd say they'll come to the same conclusion.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Time will tell but i firmly believe that we will see no operation at all !
This is a standard overuse type of injury that should heal again once the trianing schedule is a normal one !

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

I feel county management along with Niall's other management ie UCD etc have been really demanding and hard on Niall. He was always used during the year when there was just no necessity for it. Simple challenge games v Roscommon and Tipp and Galway! He needs a rest when he's not fully right. He has to play with club and college too! Fair enough the injury isn't going to go away by rest , he needs the op but surely constant matches isn't going to help the healing procedure in the long run? He has to be there for championship I agree but he was overused altogether in my opinion, especially when lads were fit as fiddles on the line gasping for a game.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Let me categorically state that he needs the operation.He is suffering from the Gilmore's groin injury and was advised to have the procedure back in January.Rest wont cure it because once he goes back in training it will flare up again. 8)

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Like I said time will tell- if he had Gilmores he would not have been able to train away like he did for the last 2 months and play like he did for the last 2 months.

Time will tell................

Lone Shark
All Star

Niall

Post by Lone Shark »

Barracuda wrote:Like I said time will tell- if he had Gilmores he would not have been able to train away like he did for the last 2 months and play like he did for the last 2 months.
I'm not sure what you mean by this - I haven't seen him training, but he has been playing like a man with a seriously inhibiting injury. He has showed flashes of talent, but at no time has he been playing as well as he can.

I would have thought the Niall we're getting at the moment is about 50% of his true ability.

Sounds like a serious groin injury to me.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Lets just say his form is not completely related to his injury- Would you agree that Jimmy Coughlan is not in the best from of his life of late and he has no injury that we know of ?
Paschal is carrying all sorts of injuries and his fitness is questionable but he had a sound game on Suinday.

To look for a reason in his dip in form (all im saying) is dont look at an injury which allowed him FULLY participate in all the training sessions over the last 6 weeks (except when excused for UCD duty)
Did you see him once in the last 2 months limping off or looking like he was carrying the leg ?

Dont mix up his form and where he is being played on the team by thinking he is injured and hence no form.
"Sorry for being right so often"

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Having suffered from the Gilmore Groin myself and having undergone the surgery, it is possible to train etc for a period but surgery is your only man to get you back right. If you follow the rehab programme(pretty intensive) you would be back kicking ball in six weeks. Shearer, Wright have had the ops and were back as playing as said.
Definitly you would not perform at 100%.

Lone Shark
All Star

Niall

Post by Lone Shark »

Barracuda wrote:To look for a reason in his dip in form (all im saying) is dont look at an injury which allowed him FULLY participate in all the training sessions over the last 6 weeks (except when excused for UCD duty)
Did you see him once in the last 2 months limping off or looking like he was carrying the leg ?
You can participate without being at full strength.

And if you ask me have I seen him to be carrying the leg, I would say that the Under 21 match against Meath, the club match against Ferbane, the league match against Cork, and the challenge match against Galway (off the top of my head) were all games where all of us watching could see he was seriously struggling.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

I accept he is struggling but not all of it or even 20 % of it is down to this injury.
If matching the others around him is fully participating in training then yes he did participate fully in training, maybe the rest of them are injured too.

Ferbane Game- thought he played very well- what did he score ??
Young Lowry never got near him or at least not at the game i was watching!. And to be fair Rhode never had to do much to win that game !
His form is poor, but this is coming mainly from the fact he is unable to win a 50 /50 ball. In fact he is unable to win a 60 / 40 ball in his favour.
Same applies to the other corner and yet we persist in kicking the ball in high to both of them.
Time and time again both Niall and Jimmy are turned over. Forget the injury and look to the reaon he is getting turned over.
More aggression neeeded in him game.
"Sorry for being right so often"