Niall McNamee's Groin Injury

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Barracuda wrote:I accept he is struggling but not all of it or even 20 % of it is down to this injury. If matching the others around him is fully participating in training then yes he did participate fully in training, maybe the rest of them are injured too.
How much of his current dip in form is down to the injury is really a matter for him. What we do know is that it's a seriously inhibiting condition that he has been diagnosed with. I haven't seen the training as you appear to, but I can only go by matches, and he looks and plays like an injured player.
Barracuda wrote:Ferbane Game- thought he played very well- what did he score ?? Young Lowry never got near him or at least not at the game i was watching!. And to be fair Rhode never had to do much to win that game !
He scored five points - and that without making a run of more than ten yards the whole way through the game. I agree Rhode were in control the whole way through, but the reason was that he was able to score with little or no room. However his lack of mobility was there for all to see.
Barracuda wrote:His form is poor, but this is coming mainly from the fact he is unable to win a 50 /50 ball. In fact he is unable to win a 60 / 40 ball in his favour. Same applies to the other corner and yet we persist in kicking the ball in high to both of them.Time and time again both Niall and Jimmy are turned over. Forget the injury and look to the reaon he is getting turned over. More aggression neeeded in him game.
But we've all seen him thrive off this sort of ball before. He just doesn't have the legs to get away from lads now. Aggression wasn't an issue for him the previous two summers when he was in great form (not included that spell at wing forward! :evil: )

I agree with you re: Jimmy not playing well. However that's a whole other issue.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Barracuda, are you mixing this type of injury up the common pelvic bone injury (not sure what its called), but I know its very common in GAA players and in the case of that injury, rest is all that can be done.
I don't agree that at least 20% of his poor performances is down to the injury. When a player knows he isn't right its very difficult to get involved as you normally would, it can a have a huge affect on confidence in going for a ball etc. this is particularly true for a forward.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Ok - lets leave it at that for now. No matter what is said its very easy to find a reason why his form is poor.

I dont accept that it is down to his injury- Ive seen him now for a long time and he does not or rarely wins a 50 / 50 ball never mind a 60 / 40 not in his favor- injured or not. He needs to be on the forty where at least 80% of the passes are from the fist into open space !.
The bottm line is he is the sort of player that needs to be set up more.

Time will tell- unless he gets more aggresvie he wont make it on the full line, and I am confident that he will make it.