Let the onslaught begin!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Biff O'Mahon
Intermediate

You guys are too harsh!

Post by Biff O'Mahon »

Broadly agree with your player evaluations there Lone Shark... but as an uncommitted supporter I think you guys are being a little harsh!

Does that sound daft?

I thought the general support play of the players was excellent. And there were phases of football, quick passing, clever interchange etc that were genuinely exciting to watch. (& ok there were other bits that were over-complicated, indirect and aimless)

But yes there was a mindlessness when the posts loomed into view...

What worries me is that Kilmurray stated this evening on Newstalk radio that the lads had worked on their shooting!!!!!

Bogman
All Star

Some random points

Post by Bogman »

I agree with a lot of what is said above. I was sadly disappointed but also weirdly delighted with some of the football we played when we were on song:

1. I was surprised that Roy was not introduced because we really needed his pace and ball-winning abilitiy but my question is whether he has recovered from his recent injury problem? Both Malone brothers were supposed to be our only injury worries a few weeks ago. Any info?

2. I'm told that Karol Slattery had a tight hamstring yesterday morning and it was touch & go whether he played. That's maybe why he didn't have the usual afterburner move into overdrive. It just shows what a class act he is when he can keep Munnelly so quiet when not 100%.

3. I wasn't at the Roscommon game but am told that Tomas Deehan still looks to be carrying a leg slightly. It's a shame because his blazing pace would give that forward line a whole different dimension! Let's see how he does for Clara. If he is anyway near last year's level he is worth a shot in the qualifiers. Does anybody on the site know the story?

4. Echoing BNaM Man it was amazing watching from the Hill when our half backs or midfielders moved forward on the flanks in the 2nd half to see the inside forwards either not moving or running to the opposite flank. Why ask the ball carrier to deliver it diagonally into an intermittently strong breeze when one of the forwards should be available for a simple outlet ball down the line? Painful to watch.

5. Both midfielders caught some lovely ball. We seem to have come on tonnes in the ball-winning stakes.

6. Mac gave away so much ball it was untrue!! When he's bad he is really awful! Martin McHugh was really critical of his long deliveries in the Star. Often a simple handpass would suffice. Shame because he was winning loads. His marking was also poor. Could have been tried at full forward with Grennan coming in to midfield.

7. Mac and Jimmy showed the signs of being from small clubs and bad underage teams where they have to do everything and shoot from anywhere. Niall MacNamee may play for Rhode but he was also on a lot of teams in which he was the designated shooter and match winner. Under pressure it's easy for players to go back to bad habits. Management should tell them not to take low percentage shots.

8. We need pace in the full forwards. I reckon that Paschal and Shaper are both better in the half line. Neville Coughlan was scoring hatfuls of goals early last year. He is worth a spell in the full forward line in each match, maybe with Mac there as well to play off.

9. The management talks of having a stronger squad now but remains reluctant to actually use substitutions during a match.

Apart from that we were awesome at times, some hope for the future,
BOGMAN

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

Saw those forwards in training - kicking points from all angles! :?
Time to follow the lead of Armagh and Tyrone and bring a sports psychologist into the management team (not for them though......)
before Offaly loses forever its hard-earned tradition of being a difficult county to beat, of never losing a tight game. Believe me it's all in the head- failure to perform, in front of a large(ish) crowd, tasks one usually can do in his sleep.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Shooting

Post by Lone Shark »

doobane man wrote:Saw those forwards in training - kicking points from all angles! :?
Time to follow the lead of Armagh and Tyrone and bring a sports psychologist into the management team (not for them though......)
before Offaly loses forever its hard-earned tradition of being a difficult county to beat, of never losing a tight game. Believe me it's all in the head- failure to perform, in front of a large(ish) crowd, tasks one usually can do in his sleep.
Two things come out of that.

First of all, kicking points from all angles is all well and good, but in terms of match preparation attempting points from strange places is just wrong. Shots should be good high percentage efforts, or else a different option should be taken. If the forwards are trained to have a go from anywhere, that's hardly good practice.

Secondly, and sadly, our reputation as hard to beat is long gone. What we are is hard to shake off. We hang in there, but invariably we lose. Usually it's close, often contentious, but the truth is that we either win comfortably or we lose. I had hoped that the Donegal match marked a turnaround for us, but clearly not.

gaahead
Junior A

Post by gaahead »

Seemingly Roy Malone aggravated his injury again a couple of days beofre the game - pity as I heard he had been flying in traning and in a challenge for Rhode the weekend before.. As far as I know Barry Malone is fit, think he jsut isnt featuring in the managements plans?