Leix team to play Offaly named

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Leix team to play Offaly named

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Begley to debut for Leix against Offaly

25/05/2005 - 07:23:20

Leix boss Mick O'Dwyer has handed All-Ireland minor medallist Colm Begley his debut for Sunday's Leinster quarter-final clash against Offaly at Croke Park.

The Stradbally man has been chosen at right half-back.

However, there is no place for attacker Brian 'Beano' McDonald. The Arles-Killeen forward broke his leg during the All-Ireland qualifier defeat to Tyrone last year, but has since recovered and returned to action in a recent challenge against Carlow.

In all, O'Dwyer makes six changes from the side that lost to the Red Hands.

Joe Higgins returns at corner-back, Begley is in at right half-back, Portlaoise's Ian Fitzgerald leads the attack, with Gary Kavanagh on his left, while former skipper Chris Conway and Donal Brennan are in the top corners.

The players to lose out are McDonald, Cathal Ryan, Paul McDonald, Paul Lawlor, Colm Parkinson, who opted out to travel to Australia and Shane Cooke, who has failed to recover from a shoulder injury.

LEIX (SFC v Offaly) F Byron; A Fennelly, D Rooney, J Higgins; C Begley, T Kelly, P McMahon; P Clancy, N Garvan; R Munnelly, I Fitzgerald, G Kavanagh; D Brennan, K Fitzpatrick, C Conway.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story. ... 9658&t=gaa

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Now lads, this is dangerous to say, but I don't think Leix are equipped with a set of quality forwards.
There definitely isn't any scoring machine in the same category as Forde, Browne, McDonnell.
They are a good team and will be favourites on Sunday, but I can't understand why some people rate them up there with Armagh, Kerry and Tyrone.

The winning of this game could be the amount of unforced errors the Offaly backline make, or don't make.
It might depend on whether we gift them a couple of cheap goals or not.
If Offaly were to keep a clean sheet, does anyone think that Leix would beat us with points alone?

If Beano is brought on before the 50 or 55th minute, I think it should be interpreted as a sign that we have them rattled. By all accounts he's still not up to championship pace. He might well kick a rallying score or two, but it would be a bad reflection on our backs if he does.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I agree with BNM Man, I think that if Offaly can keep Laois goal-less, and that is a possibility, we are in with a great chance. A stong physical player like Conway could be dangerous, hopefully there won't be any soft goals like those that have cost us dearly in the past, high dropping balls etc.
As LS says too, stopping Munnelly is the key to winning this game. It was also encouraging to see the dicipline in our backs' tackling during the league, conceding easy frees shouldn't be a feature of our game.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Clean Sheets and other stories.

Post by Lone Shark »

Lads, as I said in the preview article, I think Laois are very over-rated. They are a good side that has finally started playing to their potential - but at that a year too late. Of the Laois forwards, I would have only Munnelly and Fitzgerald on the Offaly team - and Fitzgerald would be a close call.

However that doesn't change the midfield deficit I think we face, or the fact that our backs concede big scores.

I don't believe there is the slightest chance we will keep Laois goal-less. We always concede stupid goals - and Laois have got five on us in our last four games.

I reckon we will get more points than Laois. If we score more or the sme number of goals as them, we're favourites. If Laois get one goal more than us, which I expect, it'll be close with Laois to win by one or two.

I can't believe they went with Fitzpatrick on Evans though. Conor will devour him alive. Actually overall, our backs match up with their forwards very well. Slattery on Munnelly, Daly on Conway, Evans on Fitzpatrick, Brady on Brennan - I fancy our lads in all of those clashes. Sullivan on Fitzgerald is the one that concerns me.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

lads is yer man brennan not savage? i know he's a young lad but i'd be concerned he'd destroy us

Kevin
All Star

Go get 'em lads!!!!!!!!

Post by Kevin »

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

turk wrote:lads is yer man brennan not savage? i know he's a young lad but i'd be concerned he'd destroy us
He might destroy us, but hopefully not this year.

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Where do Offaly go

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

I hope we pip Leix however if we don't and lose where will it leave Offaly Football............will it mean we only have a reverse gear

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Brennan

Post by Lone Shark »

Brennan is very talented, but I don't think he's good enough to destroy us a schoolkid all the same. I expect Froggy to be able for him.

Actually I like the match ups in the backs. Evans on Fitzpatrick would be good if Fitz stays inside, but if he drifts out I assume they'll let Brady on to him and let Evans pick up Conway. Wither way I'd be happy with that too. Slatts is perfect for Munnelly, and if Shane Sullivan can get motoring forward he should have too much energy and legs for Fitzgerald.

Dammit I'm getting too confident now. This has to stop, it's only Friday yet.....

minor
Senior

Post by minor »

wouldn't get to confident shark i'l be suprised if they win, i reckon they'l give them a good game but at the end of the day leix are the stronger team. hopefully i'm wrong. what ya think of kildare v them other useless shower i think kildare will win but maybe i've let my heart over-rule my head on this one!!