Offaly Juniors

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hyper
All Star

Offaly Juniors

Post by Hyper »

They were well beaten by Portarlington seniors last week in Port. They beat Mullingar Shamrocks on Monday night.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Juniors

Post by Lone Shark »

That doesn't exactly bode well. Mullingar Shamrocks will be a lot more likely to be involved in the relegation playoffs in westmeath than the championship playoffs, so I wouldn't get excited by that win.

Any idea what the lineups have been like - who's likely to feature next week?

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

v Port, D Kelly,D Donoghue,S Casey,Meeghars,,Bas Malone,F Ryan,P Sullivan,Chino,J Carroll,D Egan,S Weir,S Ryan,T Phelan,A Mulhall,???
Colin Mc,M Gorman, Niall Spain were there for the Mull game

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Good looking team for this level

Post by Lone Shark »

"Meeghars" ?????

I assume I should know who that is and that it'll make perfect sense once you tell me.......

That's a good team though and if it was being well trained should be in with every shout. Whether they are or not though is a whole other kettle of cod. I take it this means that Donoghue/Casey/Egan are no longer being considered for the seniors?

I'm not sure what I think of Sean Ryan as a half forward, but he certainly would have the fitness and energy to do it. The only thing it seems to lack is another solid and consistent scorer - a traditional inside forward if you like. Trevor is very dangerous and can cause chaos in defences but he tends not to run up huge totals. Mulhall is a scorer all right, and David Egan can, although I'm not sure about him that far from goal. I'd be interested to see how James Carroll gets on - I was very impressed with him last year, and there's nothing surer but there is room for improvement in the Offaly midfield.

I've never really rated Basil Malone as a good enough forward for county level - he's in that kind of good club/weak county player bracket, but I haven't seen him play in this re-invention as a half back. How's that working out?