The Offaly 1988 All-Ireland U-21 Winning Team

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Oceans 15
County player

Re: The Offaly 1988 All-Ireland U-21 Winning Team

Post by Oceans 15 »

[quote="Silken Thomas"]
Ronan Carolan was centre forward on Cavan's Senior Ulster breakthrough in 1997. Serious freetaker. Why was he missing?.[quote]

I think he had a broken leg. He scored something like 11 points in the semi-final win.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Coolestown1562 wrote:
Lost Midlfielder, who was a Hynan (think his name was Packie) lad from Bracknagh, who was carried off with a broken leg in the Leinster final against Carlow.

His name was Paul Hynan and he wasnt from bracknagh, he was from Clonbullogue. Was a very good player,that broken leg was the start of the end of his career. Never realy recovered.
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

the 1988 team was very good and they beat cavan but i dont think they would be a match for the 1986 team who were beaten by a cork team littered with future all stars.including teddy mccarthy and john o driscoll would anyone have names of the panel and who was manager. think it was greg hughes or john dowling. i remember the two games with mayo ,brogan and mchale. good games with peter brady outstanding.think leinster final that year went to a replay as well

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The 1986 final against Cork was played on the second Sunday in September in Thurles. T'was part of a double header with the U21 hurling final where Galway beat Wexford, John Commins coming up from goal to bury a penalty as he did in the senior final seven days previous.

The 1988 final was played on the last Sunday in June. The Feile na nGael was on in Offaly on the same weekend and I started the 'matric' in Athlone on the following day!
Silken Thomas wrote: Could anyone tell me what time of the year these matches took place? Namely 1986 and 1988 finals.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The 1986 final against Cork was played on the second Sunday in September in Thurles. T'was part of a double header with the U21 hurling final where Galway beat Wexford, John Commins coming up from goal to bury a penalty as he did in the senior final seven days previous.

The 1988 final was played on the last Sunday in June. The Feile na nGael was on in Offaly on the same weekend and I started the 'matric' in Athlone on the following day!
Silken Thomas wrote: Could anyone tell me what time of the year these matches took place? Namely 1986 and 1988 finals.
Many thanks to you and sundry
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

The full panel for the All Ireland final in 1988 was
OFFALY - Donal O’Neill, Padraig Moran, Garret O’Brien (Capt), Tom Coffey, Jimmy
Stewart, Aidan Bracken, Phil O’Reilly, Mark Plunkett, Ken Keeleghan, Gary Daly,
Derek Claffey, Niall O’Shea, Michael Casey, James Mullen, Brendan Flynn. Subs -
Ronan Scully for Gary Daly, Pat Daly for Derek Claffey. Eugene Boland, Mick
Devine, Paul Hynan, Alan Shee, Gary Clarke.
The ’86 Under 21 team included Kieran Rigney at centre-back whose performance on Wicklow’s Kevin O’Brien was one of the year’s highlights. O’Brien was flying high at senior level and was talked about as being one of Ireland’s best players. But he’d never met Kieran Rigney up to then!!!!!!!!!
Peter Brady incurred a bad wrist injury that year and Billy Healy – a selector – broke the cast with a hammer to enable him play in one of the replays (either Leinster or All Ireland semi). David and Vinny Claffey were twin tormentors of all and sundry. David was probably the better of the two then. Vinny Byrne was on that team too and I think Tullamore’s John Owens was corner back. Shannonbridge had Gerry Corbett and Michael Devine on that panel. I think Paul Mulvihill was on it too.
They beat Laois in the Leinster Final after a replay 1986 - Kilkenny, July 20. Offaly 1-11 Laois 2-8
Newbridge, July 30. Offaly 1-10 Laois 0-9(Replay)
They Cork team that defeated them in the AI Final was a pretty impressive one – even on paper( J O'Mahony, K Scanlon, J.Murphy, Denis Walsh, A McCarthy, Brendan Stack, Mick Slocum (Captain), Paddy Hayes, Con O'Connell, Teddy McCarthy, Mick McCarthy, Barry Coffey, Paddy Harrington, John O'Driscoll, Paul McGrath. Sub: Paul Cahill) On the field of play Cork had the game sown up within quarter of an hour but a great year’s football from this Offaly side
For Coolestown: Your abiding memory of Barney Flynn is entirely different from mine. I recall his goal in the Leinster Club final of 1986 (1986/87 Leinster Final- Newbridge, December 6,1986. Ferbane (Offaly) 3-5 Portlaoise (Laois) 1-10) that played a huge role in Ferbane’s victory that year and his performances two years later throughout the year when that Ferbane side were desperately unlucky not to repeat the feat. (1988/89 Leinster Final - Newbridge, December 11,198 - Parnells (Dublin) 2-5 Ferbane (Offaly) 1-8 Newbridge, December 18,1988 - Parnells (Dublin) 1-4 Ferbane (Offaly) 0-6(Replay)). Not only is he the last man to captain Ferbane to a county title but he is currently club secretary and has successfully completed Levels I and II in coaching. A tremendous asset to the GAA in Ferbane.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

doobane man wrote: For Coolestown: Your abiding memory of Barney Flynn is entirely different from mine. I recall his goal in the Leinster Club final of 1986 (1986/87 Leinster Final- Newbridge, December 6,1986. Ferbane (Offaly) 3-5 Portlaoise (Laois) 1-10) that played a huge role in Ferbane’s victory that year and his performances two years later throughout the year when that Ferbane side were desperately unlucky not to repeat the feat. (1988/89 Leinster Final - Newbridge, December 11,198 - Parnells (Dublin) 2-5 Ferbane (Offaly) 1-8 Newbridge, December 18,1988 - Parnells (Dublin) 1-4 Ferbane (Offaly) 0-6(Replay)). Not only is he the last man to captain Ferbane to a county title but he is currently club secretary and has successfully completed Levels I and II in coaching. A tremendous asset to the GAA in Ferbane.

Fair play to him. it wasnt meant as a slight on him, how could one knock a man with about seven county senior medals for one kick. It was just an interesting sidelight to the story. What was funny to me was that peter Brady even remembered Flynn's name, because Brady would hardly remember the names of the lads he was playing with never mind the opposition.
There wouldnt be too many in Offaly would those coaching qualifications, I look forward to seeing him put them into action.
Contae an Riogh

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The Offaly panel listed for the 1986 Under 21 final was-
1 Adrian Daly, Tullamore
2 John Owens, Tullamore
3 Ciarán Higgins, Gracefield
4 Ken Corcoran, Edenderry
5 Aidan Stewart, Clara
6 Kieran Rigney, Doon
7 Bernard Scully, Gracefield
8 Garret O’Brien, St. Carthage’s
9 Peter Brady, Edendery
10 Vincent Claffey, Doon
11 David Claffey, Doon
12 Cathal Ryan, St. Saran’s
13 Ronan Scully, Clara
14 Michael Casey, St. Brigid’s
15 Vincent Brady, Gracefield
Subs
16 Michael Devine, Shannonbridge
17 Brendan Flynn, Ferbane
18 Kevin Brasil, Ferbane
19 Greg Blong, Edenderry
20 Declan Carroll, Edenderry
21 Ger Galvin, Daingean

The team management are not listed in the programme. While the programme doesn’t list the path to the final, in a narrative, it notes the following:-
Had a ‘good win’ over Wicklow
Trailed meath for most of the game in Mullingar and a last minute Brendan Flynn goal won it, 1-12 to 1-11.
A last minute Laois goal levelled the Leinster final, played at Nowlan Park, and the replay at Newbridge ‘proved very competitive for much of the early stages’. Neither scoreline is listed.
David Claffey slotted the equaliser in the semi final against Mayo at Roscommon which finished 1-11 each. Vinny Byrne scored the goal immediately after a Mayo goal levelled it in the last quarter.
David Claffey’s goal after 30 seconds set them on their way in the replay and they won 1-15 to 0-7.

Incidentally, the subs for the 1988 final against Cavan were- Michael Devine, Gary Clarke, Ronan Scully, Pat Daly, Eugene Boland, Aidan O’Shea.
Eugene McGee was a selector on the Cavan team.

While I’m at it, seven years previously Offaly played in a Leinster under 14 final which was played on the undercard on Leinster final day. Notes on the programme say it finished level, 0-9 to 2-3, Offaly having led 0-4 to 0-0 at half time. From memory, Dublin equalised with a last minute goal and went on to beat Offaly in the replay. The Offaly team and subs were:-

Christy Connell, Edenderry; Paul Kennedy, Clara; Michael Galvin, St. Conleth’s; Paddy Griffin, Tullamore; Paul Nolan, Edenderry; Brendan Flynn, Ferbane (capt.); Declan Cushen, Clara; Martin Daly, St. Conleth’s; Ronan Scully, Clara; Jimmy Cummins, Edenderry; Derek Claffey, St. Carthage’s; Paul Stewart, Clara; John Campbell, St. Conleth’s; Fintan Leonard, Na Piarsaigh; Declan Carroll, Edenderry.

Subs listed- Anthony Murphy, Gracefield; Gary Daly, St. Rynagh’s; Donal Rabbitte, Clara; Garrett O’Brien, St. Carthage’s; Roger Robbins, Clara; John Mooney, St. Mary’s; Brendan Lynch, Edenderry; Damien Cunningham, St. Mary’s; Sean Whelan, Gracefield.

Management was listed as:- Denis Kelly, St Mary’s; Donal Dunne, Gracefield; Kieran Flynn, Ferbane; Bro. Sylvester, Clara.

Incidentally, who were St. Conleth’s? The Daingean parish underage club at a guess?
Coolestown1562 wrote:it just dawned on me there that pat 'dingle' daly from rhode was on this team aswell. Sure Wasnt' the great Jody Gunning the manager. Offaly were beaten in 1986 all ireland under 21, would love to see that team posted up. they were a better fifteen, and were pipped by Cork led by John O Driscoll and Teddy McCarthy. Offaly beat Mayo after a replay in the semi final, Peter Brady kicked 12 points. Team also included the Claffey twins from Doon

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

POTH

Are you sure it was seven years earlier that that U14 team was beaten in the Leinster final? They look more like the U14 team of 5 years previous!!

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Hyper wrote:POTH

Are you sure it was seven years earlier that that U14 team was beaten in the Leinster final? They look more like the U14 team of 5 years previous!!
That sounds right, most or all of the Edenderry lads on that team would have been 14 around 1981/1982.. Declan Carroll was a genius with a football, he had the potential to be better than Gerry but alas it never happened for him.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

there was 26 players on the panel in 1986 and there was a bit of flak over why 21 could only be named on the program .apparently they ran out of space. there was a daly from daingean who played mid field in the first round . a young rafferty fellow from edenderry who was centre back ror the whole leinster championship .casey from croghan who had a few starts and was brought on in the semi final v mayo and i cant remember the other three .i think devine was sub goalkeeper that year as well.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Just to clear up any confusion, that was seven years previous to 1988. I noted the 1988 subs and then wrote "seven years previously . . ."
Hyper wrote:POTH

As for the full panels, at that time Central Council programmes only listed six subs. From 1989 onwards they listed nine subs. Leinster council programmes at the time listed the full panels so for the full panels i suggest you see the Leinster final programmes.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: .
Incidentally, who were St. Conleth’s? The Daingean parish underage club at a guess?
Yes, St.Conleth's was a name used for the Daingean Parish team for a few years. I really don't know why they changed it to St.Vincents (and I think there have been other variants too); unless someone reckoned that the monicker of "St.Conleths" might not help them if they ever came up against a Dublin team.

Michael Galvin was a first cousin of Ger Galvin listed as sub no.21 in the earlier list. Martin Daly in midfield was from the Ballycommon part of the parish and would have played at other grades for Offaly. Despite his geographical roots, he seemed to prefer to play more for the Daingean team than for Ballycommon.

Incidentally, how many of ye know that the Claffey Twins were All-Ireland champions in another "field" of competition?
Public Speaking champs in Macra na Feirme sometime around '86 or '87. Pity neither of them got the chance to show off this skill on the platform of the Hogan Stand.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

The Biff wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: .
Yes, St.Conleth's was a name used for the Daingean Parish team for a few years. I really don't know why they changed it to St.Vincents (and I think there have been other variants too); unless someone reckoned that the monicker of "St.Conleths" might not help them if they ever came up against a Dublin team.

Michael Galvin was a first cousin of Ger Galvin listed as sub no.21 in the earlier list. Martin Daly in midfield was from the Ballycommon part of the parish and would have played at other grades for Offaly. Despite his geographical roots, he seemed to prefer to play more for the Daingean team than for Ballycommon.

Incidentally, how many of ye know that the Claffey Twins were All-Ireland champions in another "field" of competition?
Public Speaking champs in Macra na Feirme sometime around '86 or '87. Pity neither of them got the chance to show off this skill on the platform of the Hogan Stand.
The Reformatory in Daingean was called St Conleths. John Campbell listed at corner forward was from Kilclonfert and sadly passed away a few years ago.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Sad to hear of the death of Padraig Moran.

http://www.hoganstand.com/football/Arti ... ?ID=245254