Minors on Saturday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Percy Sledgehammer
Senior

Minors on Saturday

Post by Percy Sledgehammer »

I don't care what level the game is, any match against the bums to the north is a big occasion and a chance to reassert dominance.

Hard to call though - edged them by a point last year, drew in the league. Anyone with any thoughts on it?

Anyone going to Mullingar?

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

What match is this!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Minor Match

Post by Lone Shark »

Yeah, myself (and the Shark!) will be along.

After early exits for both of our underage teams to have played championship so far, I'm reluctant to say too much, but my gut instinct is that in Ken Casey we have the one outstanding prospect between the two teams, and that he should be the difference between the sides on Saturday - hopefully.

Realistically I don't think either of these teams have what it takes to get to a Leinster final - if memory serves Kildare will lie in wait for the winners, and realistically they, Meath and Dublin all look too strong for midland teams that have obvious weaknesses.

From an Offaly perspective, I've good time for our full back line and goalie. Bracken has been solid in between the posts, Diarmuid Horan has been very good at full back, and assuming Gerry Grehan and Stephen Egan fill the other slots, we certainly have a very solid last line of defence which won't leave much by.

Beyond that though I think there's a dearth of real quality. Richie Dalton is a fine player, but he ends up trying to do the job of a midfielder as well as that of centre back. Niall Derby and Gerry Treacy are tenacious scrappers, as is Alan Lynam who I think might get a run out, but really Casey is the only one with anything really special.

In particular we lack the big dominant midfielder that most other counties appear to have. Derek Molloy gets stuck in, but isn't hugely tall, while Paul Deehan hasn't turned into the superstar at this level that he looked like he was going to last year. That said, I believe he has another year at minor, so he could make an impact yet. The dark horse here is David Larkin from Doon. If he's fit enough, he could give a lot of physical presence and maybe some ball winning.

I'm hopeful that we might edge through by a kind of 1-10 to 0-10 scoreline. Match odds probably in the vicinity of 5/6 Offaly 6/5 WH and 7/1 draw.

Lone Shark
All Star

Match

Post by Lone Shark »

Turk, I'm not sure of the time yet, but this is the Leinster minor quarter final, on in Mullingar on Saturday afternoon. I take it you'll make the short trip? :)

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

they should beat westmeath, but kildare and dublin will prove far too strong for them. :)

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

i might go, if i can get a lift!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

As far as I'm aware the winners play the winners of Meath and Kildare - you'd have to fancy either us or WH to fall at that stage. It's a pity, because if we could get to a Leinster final you'd get a backdoor game - which would be great for them.

I suppose being honest when you have a good defence you always have a chance of keeping the score down at least, but both Meath and Kildare had huge midfielders who were great all round fotballers as well as fielders. We always find that type tough to stop.

I assume Derek Molloy will be the one charged with the task - it's a big ask.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

i thought derek molloy quit the panel a few months ago?

Lone Shark
All Star

Derek Molloy

Post by Lone Shark »

If he did it's news to me. He played in all the league matches, but to be honest I haven't seen any of the challenge games over the last month or so to know whether he's still involved.

I'd be surprised if he quit - he's long odds on to start in the championship team. Realistically the midfield contenders are himself, Larkin, Deehan or at a push maybe John Knight. I would have thought of Molloy as the first man in in that situation.

Ron
All Star

Minors

Post by Ron »

It would be good to see an underage team having a bit of a run for a change, we thought it was going to be the U21's in March, maybe it will be the minors?
Who is over the team this year anyway?

Lone Shark
All Star

Team picked.

Post by Lone Shark »

(Phil O’Reilly manager and selectors Tom Coffey and Pat Daly)

OFFALY (MF v Westmeath) - D Bracken; K Higgins, D Horan, J Ryan; J Knight, R Dalton, G Grehan; D Kavanagh, R Brady; J Gorman, N Darby, A Lynam; R Connor, P Duffy, K Casey.

I'm a little surprised by some of this, but it's still a reasonable outfit. Stephen Egan must have really struggled in challenge matches because I thought he did very well in the league - ditto Gerry Treacy.

Ross Brady is a good footballer, but I never would have seen him as a midfielder. He can kick points, and is not too bad with frees, but he's not that big. Niall Derby and Alan Lynam will both be very tenacious but very small - I do worry for our ball winning. With any luck though Connor and Duffy will chip over a couple of points each, and a good performance from Casey will carry us home.

True Red
All Star

Ross Brady

Post by True Red »

The above player is 6ft 1ins and weighs about 13 stone.For a 17 yr minor i would regard that as big.He also is a good lad to fetch ball in the air and has done so for Edenderry's junior team in their only outing in the championship so far against Ballinagar when he was moved out from corner forward to midfield.his performance that day changed the game and probably has resulted in his positioning at midfield on this present Offaly minor side.Also add into it the fact that he is seriously close to making the edenderry Senior team and its easy to see how the minor selectors can have faith in him as their first choice midfielder.

Lone Shark
All Star

Ross Brady

Post by Lone Shark »

Lest there be any confusion, I've great time for him as a footballer, and he'd be one of the stonewall guaranteed selections on this team as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't know he was that big, because truth be told he doesn't play like it. (Granted I haven't seen him play any club stuff, so I'll defer to local knowledge) In any of the games I've seen him play he doesn't exactly look for contact or to get involved in the high ball stuff, because he plays like a forward - maybe he'll change his game because he has 9 on his back, but I'd prefer to see him within shooting range of the goals. Certainly I can't see Derby or Gorman contributing big totals from that line, busy players though they are.

To be fair, while for all of us of a more mature vintage, 6"1 sounds big, in truth in today's minor game it's not for a midfielder. Most minor teams now have at least one 6"3 + lump of mahogony in midfield, though if my sources are correct, Westmeath don't.

I really hope it works out - he is one of the better players in this years panel, and for the benefit of Offaly football in general it would be good to see Edenderry becoming competitive again. I see Richie has already broken onto the seniors, so if Ross Brady follows then good stuff.

I still would have picked David Larkin (6"3 + lump of mahogony!!) in midfield, and played Brady on the 45. Granted they mightn't have the same pick, but David has broken into the Doon senior lineup, and that experience competing with hardier lads could stand to Offaly.

MF35
Intermediate

Matty Boland

Post by MF35 »

Whats the story with Matty Boland?

He was a starter with the Doon Seniors this year (and last year i think) and by all accounts is a member of the minor panel.

Saw him in a few games this year and is lively.....to me he is exactly what you would want on county minor team.

Larkin - Seen him play this year and his form is not a patch on last year. Still has alot to prove in my eyes.

Lone Shark
All Star

Boland

Post by Lone Shark »

I could be very wrong here, but I think Matthew Boland is overage - not sure though. (He didn't start for the seniors last year too often - made one sub appearance in the loss to Brigids was his only championship game)

Another problem could have been that whenever Rugby and football clashed, I'd say he wouldn't have been too diplomatic about which side he'd be on.....

I've only seen Larkin play a couple of games this year - played one decent game for the minors, against Meath I think, and was quiet for Doon against Clara. If as you say his general form is poor though, well then that explains it. I mean if he was good enough to get on the team last year and can't now something has to be wrong really.