Minors on Saturday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

Both Stephen Egan and Derek Molloy have left the panel and as far as I am concerned Molloy is no loss. Definately not a big game player. For some inexplicable reason Matty isn't on the twenty four man panel.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

what time is this game on at?

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

Seven in Mullingar my sources tell me.

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

always great to beat those wasters beside us only pity is we didn't trounce them. heard backline was very poor bar one or two and we need to start producing better at this grade as its more or less the point where you become a footballer or fall by the wayside. casey didn't have a great game but still converted 5 points to the scoreboard which isn't bad,he needs good sharp delivery of ball,hard luck on brady, will he miss the next one and will that be a semifinal does anyone know.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Minor Match

Post by Lone Shark »

To be fair we beat them by a 65m point with only injury time to go, crushing them spiritually and emotionally. That'll do me almost as much as a trouncing. :D

Your sources must have been watching a different game to most of us - the backline was quite solid. (They only conceded 7 scores, for one thing!). Richie Dalton will be annoyed with the blockdown for the goal, and he didn't get involved as much as a lad of his undoubted ability can, and Diarmuid Horan wasn't as dominant when brought out the pitch as he can be, but the others were all tight, tenacious, but disciplined. I'd say it was Casey underperforming and 3 of the six forwards being held scorelss that left it so in doubt up to the end.

Casey did score five points - one from play and four tapover frees. Be under no illusion, he had a nightmare. He overcarried on at least three occasions when a simple layoff would have led to a good scoring chance, and missed a couple of other opportunities. He was marking a very fine direct opponent, but it was still fathoms below his usual level of performance.

The next game is the Leinster semi against Meath, down for 25th of June, so it depends what Brady gets cited for. If he gets four weeks, he'll be available - if he gets more, he won't. I didn't see what he did, except that it was off the ball, so I couldn't begin to guess. (Someone like True Red might be better able to tell us :?: )

I actually think if a footballer has a good attitude at 17 or 18, he'll probably be okay. It's at this point where you start to accrue some of the benefits of being a GAA star in the club (a handy apprenticeship/job, the first wave of female "supporters", the queue skipping at nightclubs etc.) In extreme cases it can be worth a handy run through college as you get to be one of those lads who spends most of their collegiate life wearing a tracksuit and being the celebrity in the student bar.

The danger is always more 15/16. It's at this age where drink is first a factor but the benefits aren't apparent yet. Very few promising footballers fall away at 18 if they haven't started taking a few sups too many or developed bad habits two or three years earlier.