Offaly v Kerry Minors

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly v Kerry Minors

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I recall it was played in Newbridge early on an August Saturday, in fine weather. Later that day Ireland was subjected to an almighty downpour. Kerry Senior footballers played Galway in Croke Park (which is why the Minor match was on early), the lights had to be switched on, and the following day's Tullamore Show had to be cancelled.
boomcha wrote:Offaly played Kerry in 2008?, why do I not remember that? What was the Offaly team/panel??
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

The rate of players going on to play Senior with the county on both teams, is about the same. Roughly 7 from each. the difference not being the quantity of players that were able to make it through, more so the quality of said players.

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

llkj wrote:The rate of players going on to play Senior with the county on both teams, is about the same. Roughly 7 from each. the difference not being the quantity of players that were able to make it through, more so the quality of said players.
Who are the 7? I can only count 5 that did?

Very interesting though. I was at that game in Newbridge, the Barry Johns were the big deal then, O'Donoghue the sub surpassed them, was that down to age at the time or what?

Anybody know the Offaly subs that day and who among them may have played senior inter county? Possibly Cunningham, the Mc Paddens?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Bernard Allen was one of the subs.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Derek Kelly was a sub that day also.

Brain Connor & Noel Andrew Graham now live in the US - 2 huge losses