u21 result

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Re: u21 result

Post by DD »

Rynaghs Biffo wrote: Kilkenny were simply a different class.
A brilliant team and that lad Mulhall (No. 14) was exceptional - his workrate and use of the ball was outstanding.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Don't like saying it, but Kilkenny did all the basics better and much quicker as well

Catching (i'd love to know how they are coaching this in Kilkenny cause they are better at it than any other county)
First touch - very crisp
Striking - much better strikers of the ball in general
Workrate - the harassing by the kilkenny forwards was very similar to their seniors. it puts the opposition under pressure and mistakes occur
only the best...

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Deleted my post as upon reflection it was unfair and I had a good few pints in me when I posted it. Was just completley disillusioned with what happened last night.

Causing offence was by no means my aim.

Aweflee
Senior

Post by Aweflee »

kinnittyman wrote:Deleted my post as upon reflection it was unfair and I had a good few pints in me when I posted it. Was just completley disillusioned with what happened last night.

Causing offence was by no means my aim.
Fair enough.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Hard luck to Offaly last night.
In the first half it was clear that Kilkenny had better stickmen, were sharper, fresher and could take their points with more ease.
However Offaly made up for this with a high work rate, closing down and gang tackling.

While this sort of play is not going to be sustained for 60 minutes I was a little disappointed how Offaly's work rate dropped significantly early in the second half. Too many Kilkenny players were left unmarked. In the scuffles for possession too often a Kilkenny player emerged easily with the ball unchallenged.

The key difference over the last number of years has been that Kilkenny players at all levels get the ball into the hand at the first attempt. Whether fielding it or rising it off the ground. Offaly players just aren't as good at this skill which is now the most important aspect of hurling.

We don't catch many balls at the first attempt, even when unchallenged.
Off the ground, our players tend to rise the ball high and leave it available for being knocked away.
When our players try to kill the ball into hand, it often takes an extra bounce on the stick before getting it into the paw.
All these skills are perfected by repetition. There is no mystique to it. Just keep working on it from an early age and never stop working on it.

The senior players didn't look fresh last night. I didn't see any evidence to suggest an advantage in having more players on the senior panel.
The U21 training is more disrupted and the team plays together less. They are playing for two managers with different game plans (as was pointed out by Padraig Horan a couple of months ago)

Kilkenny U21s would obviously have had less interruption to their training and could focus completely on this Leinster campaign. Its a few weeks since their seniors played (which would have only slightly affected their training schedule), so they have had a long time to prepare for this.
They were stung by last year and they have more than atoned for it this year. They showed their intent against Dublin and repeated it again.
A wounded Cat is always dangerous.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

It was a disappointing one. the two goals were very soft, giveaway ones in fact. We gave away two goals in the senior match aswell, but didn't drop out as badly.

It was quite deflating to watch.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Offaly collapse gifts title to Cats

Kilkenny 2-21 Offaly 2-9
By Diarmuid O’Flynn
ANOTHER bloodless Leinster title for Kilkenny, this one at U21 level, to go with the senior and minor titles already in the bag, another kick in the guts for Offaly.

It was the usual story, one we’ve seen twice already this year in the senior equivalent, when Kilkenny dismissed both Offaly and Wexford in turn.

Halfway into this one, on a sultry evening in O’Connor Park in Tullamore, we had a game on our hands, a real contest. Match tied, 1-6 for Offaly, 0-9 for Kilkenny, the two teams headed to the their respective dressing-rooms with the applause of an enthusiastic and appreciative crowd of over 5,000 ringing in their ears.

There was no breeze to speak of, no forceful elements into which Offaly would be playing in the second half, so what happened? Same thing as happened to their seniors against Kilkenny nearly six weeks ago, same thing as happened Wexford a couple of weeks later — they disappeared after the interval. One team went in, another came out, masqueraders in Offaly jerseys. How else to explain?

How else did a side that hurled with so much confidence, so much authority, in the first half, come out and play like a side that had never seen each other before, like a side that hadn’t seen a hurling pitch or sliotar this year?

Leaping and jumping under every puckout, theirs and Kilkenny’s, they couldn’t get the ball to hand; then when it went to ground, they were prodding, poking, but couldn’t get it off the floor.

It’s not hurling trainers these guys need, it’s sport psychologists, and plenty of them. Just to look at it in microcosm; the Offaly half-forward line for most of this game consisted of Daniel Currams, Joe Bergin and Derek Molloy, all of whom impressed in the big senior championship win over Limerick a few weeks ago — those three big Offaly guns, those three ace forwards, were matched score for score from play on the evening by their half-back markers. Two points they managed (big Joe’s two goals came from placed balls), one each from Bergin and Molloy, while Lester Ryan and Paddy Hogan each pointed long-rangers for Kilkenny. Dismal stuff if you were an Offaly hurling supporter.

Kilkenny started well, led 0-4 to 0-2 after 11 minutes courtesy of points from Richie Hogan (2), midfielder Niall Walsh and wing-forward TJ Reid, Derek Morkan and Colm Coughlan with the Offaly minors.

Back came the home side, however, and it was 0-6 apiece on 23 minutes, some fine passages of hurling in between. Matthew Ruth (familiar name, son of same) then came in with another Kilkenny point, before the first goal of the evening, a blasted penalty by Bergin after the ever-dangerous Coughlan had been brought down. Two points for Kilkenny (the hard-working John Mulhall, very impressive when shifted to centre-forward, and Hogan again) had it back to a tie at the break, and hopes were high among the home supporters. And then came the second half — “Like groundhog day,” reckoned one disgruntled local pressman afterwards, “We’ve almost come to expect it at this stage.”

Ironically, it was another Offaly point that set the stage, a beauty from the diminutive Coughlan (yes, son of Ger) after a superb catch of a Francis Kerrigan crossfield ball. And that was it.

First, a procession of Kilkenny points, the magnificent TJ Reid winning puckout after puckout, setting up score after score. Colin Fennelly, Nicky Cleere, Hogan, all benefited, all pointed, as did TJ himself, a 50m sideline the pick of TJ’s final tally of 1-3.

TJ’s wasn’t the first Kilkenny goal, however, that honour fell to Nicky Cleere, and it came at a time when Offaly still had hope, albeit slim. 41st minute, the score standing at 0-14 to 1-8, Offaly just having taken their second shot at the Kilkenny goal in the second half, Joe Bergin notching the point, TJ soars for the subsequent puckout, grabs, solos, lays off a handpass, picked up by Cleere in the clear (Conor Hernon, one of Offaly’s best backs on the night, slipped), goal.

TJ’s goal? Came 11 minutes later, and cruelly for him, it was Hernon again the culprit, his attempted handpass out of defence intercepted by Cleere, who returned the favour to TJ. The second Offaly goal came from a 30m Bergin free, deep into added time, simply put a gloss on the finish.

What’s left to be said about either Kilkenny or Offaly? It was a romp, a rout, but Kilkenny did what they had to do. Offaly? There’s a lot of soul-searching to be done after this, some honest self-assessment needed.

Scorers for Kilkenny: TJ Reid 1-3 (0-1 s/l); R. Hogan 0-6 (0-4 frees); N. Cleere 1-1; C. Fennelly 0-3; J. Mulhall 0-2; P. Hogan 0-2 (0-1 free); L. Ryan, N. Walsh, M. Ruth, J. Maher, 0-1 each.

Offaly scorers: J. Bergin 2-1 (1-0 pen, 1-0 free); C. Coughlan 0-4 (0-2 frees); D. Horan 0-2 (both frees); D. Molloy, D. Morkan, 0-1 each.

KILKENNY: C. McGrath; P. Murphy, K. Joyce, E. O’Shea; L. Ryan, P. Hogan, N. Prendergast; J. Dowling (C), N. Walsh; C. Fennelly, N. Cleere, TJ Reid; M. Ruth, J. Mulhall, R. Hogan.

Subs: J. Maher (Ruth 55); JJ Farrell (Reid inj. 56); K. Mooney (Murphy 60).

OFFALY: J. Dempsey; C. Hernon, B. Watkins, S. Wynne ; G. Treacy, B. Leonard, D. Morkan; D. Horan, C. Mahon; D. Currams, C. Egan, D. Molloy; F. Kerrigan, J. Bergin (c), C. Coughlan. Subs: J. Gorman (Mahon 37)

Referee: A. Stapleton (Laois).

Attendance: 5,000 est.

whateve about the nonsense of there being no wind it was utterly demoralising to see a halforward line of Currams,Bergin and Molloy being destroyed by a KK halfback 3 not close to making the KK senior squad.Welcome to the future - its all black and amber.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

uibhfhaili wrote: some honest self-assessment needed.

In my opinion this is the crucial line in this piece.

Blaming tiredness for u-21s is just an excuse. Offaly couldn't match the hurling skill of an admittedly very good Kilkenny team under the intense pressure and speed required at this level. These lads have the raw materials and need more competitive hurling at a high level to bring them up to the mark.

One obvious reason for this is that they haven't played any competitive matches up here. The senior club hurling scene is a joke. Cork, Tipp, Galway, Kilkenny all have about 4 rounds of senior championship played. We have one played 3 months ago in April and half the teams will only play 4 games all year with no knock-out championship. Ridiculous. Players will not develop with this system.

jimmyeatworld
Junior B

Post by jimmyeatworld »

As some people have mentioned already the skill levels of the KK players last night was far better than the Offaly players.

I think Offaly players could have have missed 25 to 30 jab lifts or opportunities to get the ball to hand quickly. KK players don't mess up these chances. I feel the execution of this simple skill a significant example of the difference between hurling in Offaly and KK. In Offaly club hurling you will generally get a second chance or a third, depending on the opposition to get ball to hand, in KK, I doubt it. There was some good ball going into Offaly forwards last night but the jab lift and general touch was letting them down hugely.

Under the Offaly puckout, the half forwards could not compete, simple as that. James o' Gorman was the only player that had the presence of mind to actually pull hard under the ball (a little bit off, but at least he had the right idea).

Aside from the execution of basic skills the other thing that struck me was the kind of hurler that is being produced in Offaly.
If you were to go through the Offaly team last night and looked at the players attributes individually you could list off two or three positives for each Offaly player, but at the same time you could also almost instantly point out some glaring weaknesses in the players too. The players in Offaly are not well rounded enough in all facets of play, just a few in most cases. The KK players in contrast looked like seasoned pro's.

The positives for me last night were Stephen Wynne, Diarmuid Horan and Joe Bergin. Stephen Wynne looks like he has the makings of a decent Senior player.

Apart from Wynne, the other Offaly backs have too many obvious weaknesses to cut it at Senior level.

It's still hard to know with Conor Mahon, if he is coached and applies himself to perfecting the basc skills he could have something to offer.

Derek Molloy has improved alot this year, serious workrate and a very abrasive player. I think with time there will be more end product from him.

Colm Coughlan came up against a tough customer last night, but when he got a decent chance he had the skill to get the ball into his hand, ability to make a yard of space and a very clean and accurate stiker of the ball, won the penalty too. I really like this player but like some many of the other Offaly players he has his weaknesses too.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

A massive anti-climax after an exciting couple of weeks for Offaly hurling. Im too pissed off and fed up to bother going into the ifs and buts about the game last night. See ye all in January for the O Byrne and Walsh cups lads.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

get more Offaly players onto third level teams can be a useful tool to bridge the gap

lots of games, against good players.

county board need to look at something like a scholarship scheme or something
only the best...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Another day, another dollar and another heavy defeat at the

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

During the year there was a noteable divergence between the ways the senior and under 21’s were approaching their matches, largely because the under 21’s were more adept at catching the ball.

During the two recent qualifier matches the senior management placed their two best hurlers at midfield where Murphy and Hanniffy supported the half forward and half back lines by collecting the breaking ball and setting up attacks.

Kilkenny announced their intentions with a lineout that moved Nicky Cleere out to wing forward with the runner, Mulhall, switched to full forward. Offaly tried to isolate the recipient of the puck out in the half forward line hoping he would catch the ball. Instead the ball was breaking, there was no one in support and Kilkenny had the greater strength to manoeuvre their body position to dominate in the ruck.

Despite a good opening score, Derek Morkan was always in trouble against TJ Reid. Perhaps Darmuid Horan could have been moved back to his senior team position in defence where he did well against Martin Comerford. Then again, he may not have been fit enough, not having been fit enough to start against Waterford last Saturday.

The forwards were unable to make the required space for themselves. It always took two or three touches to get the ball into their hands, giving time for the defence to realign. To correct this, the Offaly half forwards should have lined out nearer to the 65m line and the puckout directed accordingly. This would have left the midfield nearer to the half forward line also.

The highlight from an Offaly perspective was Colm Coughlan’s catch and score early in the second half.

The comparison with how Offaly seniors of 2008 dealt with the puckouts versus how they did this in 2007 is interesting. Previously everything was directed to Gary Hanniffy who looked to catch the ball as much as possible. When he didn’t make the catch and the ball broke, there was no one in support in order to give him as much space as possible. This year, the Brady’s Oakley and Horan were breaking the ball to Murphy, Rory Hanniffy and Brian Carroll who were much closer up in support and who still had space once they took the ball on the run. An interesting comparison, and lessons for going forward to 2009.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Jolly Roger
Junior B

Post by Jolly Roger »

Ahoy Mateys!

Well shiver me timbers, I never did see such an insepid display from an Offaly team in the second half, since the footballers lost to Down before the ball was even thrown in, the previous Saturday. IF I had my way they would be made walk the plank!! . The boys of '98 would be ashamed ( 1798, that is!). If I set sail over the seven seas and drank cod liver oil, till the cows came home, I don't think I could be as embarrassed as much as I was by Offaly performances over the last few weeks and months.

Aaarrrrrrrhhhh!!!!!!

gutless08
County player

Re: Another day, another dollar and another heavy defeat at the

Post by gutless08 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:During the year there was a noteable divergence between the ways the senior and under 21’s were approaching their matches, largely because the under 21’s were more adept at catching the ball.

During the two recent qualifier matches the senior management placed their two best hurlers at midfield where Murphy and Hanniffy supported the half forward and half back lines by collecting the breaking ball and setting up attacks.

Kilkenny announced their intentions with a lineout that moved Nicky Cleere out to wing forward with the runner, Mulhall, switched to full forward. Offaly tried to isolate the recipient of the puck out in the half forward line hoping he would catch the ball. Instead the ball was breaking, there was no one in support and Kilkenny had the greater strength to manoeuvre their body position to dominate in the ruck.

Despite a good opening score, Derek Morkan was always in trouble against TJ Reid. Perhaps Darmuid Horan could have been moved back to his senior team position in defence where he did well against Martin Comerford. Then again, he may not have been fit enough, not having been fit enough to start against Waterford last Saturday.

The forwards were unable to make the required space for themselves. It always took two or three touches to get the ball into their hands, giving time for the defence to realign. To correct this, the Offaly half forwards should have lined out nearer to the 65m line and the puckout directed accordingly. This would have left the midfield nearer to the half forward line also.

The highlight from an Offaly perspective was Colm Coughlan’s catch and score early in the second half.

The comparison with how Offaly seniors of 2008 dealt with the puckouts versus how they did this in 2007 is interesting. Previously everything was directed to Gary Hanniffy who looked to catch the ball as much as possible. When he didn’t make the catch and the ball broke, there was no one in support in order to give him as much space as possible. This year, the Brady’s Oakley and Horan were breaking the ball to Murphy, Rory Hanniffy and Brian Carroll who were much closer up in support and who still had space once they took the ball on the run. An interesting comparison, and lessons for going forward to 2009.
great post and agree with the point about breaking ball etc, as i posted earlier it was treacy who took a roasting off reid not morkam , who also had a tough time after a promising start. i would have replaced treacy with eanna murphy and put horan back wing back on reid.
Dont want to slag the manager who has been a legend for offaly, but why that change never happened still baffles me

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Another day, another dollar and another heavy defeat at the

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

You may be right about Morkam/Treacy. I kept getting the pair mixed up owing to them both wearing blue helmets. I know Morkam is taller but he actually looked a similar size to Treacy when he was up against taller Kilkenny men - even allowing for the vertical stripes making Kilkenny look taller anyway.
gutless08 wrote:great post and agree with the point about breaking ball etc, as i posted earlier it was treacy who took a roasting off reid not morkam , who also had a tough time after a promising start. i would have replaced treacy with eanna murphy and put horan back wing back on reid.
Dont want to slag the manager who has been a legend for offaly, but why that change never happened still baffles me
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.