Shark on Tour!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Shark on Tour!

Post by Lone Shark »

Right folks, it's call to arms time again!

As ye all know, the whole raison d'etre of this site is to get a good crowd mobilised for games, and to make sure that we have a large group together and in the one place so we can make a bit of noise and make the team feel supported. That we are a small county goes without saying, and our support is split, so we're never going to have more numbers than the other side, but on the other hand we're loud feckers when we get going, and this is what we'll harness. Anyone at the league finals on Sunday will have seen how a gang of about 40 Meath heads up at the top of Hill 16 making noise in unison managed to make themselves heard across the whole ground. This will be our aim.

So posters and lurkers both, here's the deal for those of you who didn't know. We'll be getting the Shark in position good and early for both games this weekend. All and sundry are encouraged to come over, stand beside us, and get with the chorus. You can introduce yourself if you like, or not if you don't, but all are welcome, irrespective of club/gender/GAA code of preference.

The game against Carlow in Portlaoise is tricky, since a lot of the time for games like this they don't open the terrace. If that's the case, there's not a lot we can do, but if it is open, then we'll be on the terrace round about the Gantry somewhere at half way.

Similarly in Páirc Tailteann, we'll be Terrace Bound, halfway up the pitch opposite side to the stand.

As we get into busier games and Croke Park matches etc we'll be taking root at one end or t'other of the ground, so for now we may as well get good and central.

I expect a good scatter of ye to come and join us, and we'll see if we can't get a thunderous "Uibh Fhaile" roar going, just like in the old days..... :D :D

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lets get stuck in lads.
Why bother going to matches in the first place, if you're going to make no effort to get behind our players?
Since we can't be on the field ourselves, we should make every effort to be the 16th man.

The Biff
All Star

Gnash those teeth

Post by The Biff »

There can be few sounds as pleasent at a match than the rousing "OOOFallya" from the Faithful. Definitely the most distinct GAA chant in the country, but it needs a chorus to carry it. I'll do me best. :o

Lone Shark
All Star

Late arriving Shark!

Post by Lone Shark »

To all those who were in in good time looking out for the Shark I can only apologise, assorted delays left the shark-bearer not in the gate until about 3.20!

I understand this is not the level of commitment one would expect, but life invariably throws up these little hiccups!

Next stop on the Shark tour is next Saturday in Mullingar. Terrace opposite the stand, obviously enough. Come one come all .....

azoffaly
All Star

Sharkie

Post by azoffaly »

Looks like the Shark will have to be treated to a repair patch. He's looking a little deflated there. I definitely think the Jersey will have to go on him as well. You must have a spare Lone Shark, seeing as how you were the only one in Navan with the new crest jersey.

Go on, fire it on him.

I think we'll have to bring that Flag with the Shark motif on it as well.

How many of our contributors here were with the Shark? I know BnM, Turk, LS, myself and TheManFromFerbane were there. Who else turned up?

Lone Shark
All Star

It's been a long winter!

Post by Lone Shark »

It's been a long winter, and he's been brought to some cold and windy climates, which wouldn't be natural shark territory.

The absence of the flag was also down to myself - LS was allowing enough time for himself, just not enough time to allow for female accompaniment to slow matters down! :roll:

I'd say the Shark will be more decorated the next day all right. BnaMMan's lady seemed very eager to utilise her home economics skills .....

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Bogman was along too, as well as a couple of other volunteers.
It was one of those days when the game played out like a challenge match, so we all kept our powder dry until the next day.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

It was a weird atmosphere alright. I was sure Da would have to move on somewhere else if we got into Championship Oooo-Faaallly mode, but the atmposphere was fairly muted so he was OK. The Laois game might be a different story :)

The Louth lads behind were good craic. Your man that was getting frustrated was funny. His comment that the small sub that came on was still wearing his communion rosette from Saturday was funny.

Lone Shark
All Star

Louth fellas

Post by Lone Shark »

They were a funny shower all right - though it was often inadvertantly. I'd say his call to Stansfield to "Go way and talk to me bollix" was not really meant in jest, but it's stylish delivery amused me nonetheless.

And as for his calling out to the masses to leave early and come to the cinema in Blanchardstown..... :lol: