Damien Hunt starts for Offaly this Sunday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Damien Hunt starts for Offaly this Sunday

Post by Bord na Mona man »

OFFALY (SF v Louth):

Padraig Kelly
Cathal Daly
Conor Evans
Scott Brady
Barry Mooney
Shane Sullivan
Karol Slattery
Ciaran McMadnus
Alan McNamee
Shaper Reynolds
Damien Hunt
Neville Coughlan
Colm Quinn
Niall McNamee
James Coughlan.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Interesting place to select Shane Sullivan.
He can easily switch with Scott Brady or Barry Mooney if he's not doing well at centre back.
I would have thought Brady proved himself the best option for this position though.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Mark Daly can probably count himself unlucky not to be starting, I think we will probably see him take the field at some stage on Sunday however, a good man to come off the bench.
Hard to see Offaly being pushed to hard here after surviving in division 1 while Louth were unimpressive in Div 2, still it is championship. If we do go through the experience of a Championship game could be of benifit against Laois.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly team

Post by Lone Shark »

I have to say that although I'm a little surprised, I'm quite happy about it. The full back line was a real worry, and Brady had done well back there previously. It takes him out of centre back all right, but I'd be less worried about Shane Sull at CB than I would be about Chop or even Shane himself in the corner. Certainly James Keane can consider himself unlucky to lose out on both slots though.

Regarding Damian Hunt up front, I'm very happy, if a little surprised. He'll need to play well though, because if midfield is struggling and Daly needs to be brought in to support them, he'll be the first one to go. He has the potential to really do good things from that position though. Best of luck to him.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I don't think Mark Daly is too happy with the decision,will he be around on Sunday?

Lone Shark
All Star

Mark Daly

Post by Lone Shark »

If Mark Daly genuinely thinks his form in recent weeks warranted inclusion then he's no loss. That might seem harsh, but against Mayo he was struggling to track the breaking Mayo half backs, he got an early yellow against Cork and was utterly awful against Dublin. Not having been in Donegal I don't know how he did up there, but unless it was spectacular it wouldn't have redeemed him really.

He hasn't pulled up any trees lately, and as such must have been expecting this. It was only because of the support he gives the midfield that I thought he'd be picked.

Hunt is a good man to forage around for breaks though, and to track a guy coming forward, so in that respect he offers a lot as an auxiliary midfielder himself. Plus he's a better scoretaker and playmaker than Daly also. It's only if we come under pressure for catching high ball that the pressure will come on to get the Clara Man involved.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I think Mark Daly is the "victim" of the modern game, no longer is Gaelic football a game where just 15 players are needed for the whole season, It's now very much a 20 man team (5 subs) and a 30man panel. When you look at the Kerry's and the strong teams its the way Offaly Football needs to go. Its a great "problem" to still have experienced players like Mark Daly and Roy Malone (who had some league performances too) ready to come into the game when needed. We are not used to thinking like this yet in Offaly.
I think this depth in the panel could make the difference this year!

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

shane sullivan is not good enough for center back. i would have keane at corner back and brady in the center.are they going to be playing quinn as a third midfeilder?

Lone Shark
All Star

Team

Post by Lone Shark »

Quinn will operate around the middle - he has done all year long, and his absence stood out like a sore thumb against Dublin.

I'm not too worried about Sullivan at centre back. His mobility and all round footballing skill will be an addition, and Brady is a defender first and foremost, and as such reassures me in the full back line a lot more than Sullivan there.

I'd like to have seen Keane get a run there too - his man marking on Glennon last year in the minor proved that he can shadow a guy - but I'd say that switch will be one of the first to be made if Louth start making inroads.

Bogman
All Star

Selection for Sunday

Post by Bogman »

I was surprised at the selection of D.Hunt and the placing of Shane O'Sullivan/Scott Brady but on reflection I'm quite pleased.

D.Hunt did well to beat out Paschal Kelleghan, Mark Daly and John Kenny (I'd have them in that order although the management probably wouldn't). I've seen Hunt play very well at Centre Forward for Doon and I'd be hopeful!! Let's hope the midfield holds water for long enough to give him a chance to show his talents.

Shane O'Sullivan has not defended well since he came back from injury. Scott Brady might be a better bet in the short term but I feel sorry for him having to move from his best position to bolster a weakness elsewhere. Let's hope we find a decent corner back and free Scott up for Centre Back. I reckon Sean Casey from Croghan is the man for the future in the full back line.
BOGMAN