Offaly V Fermanagh

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
OY13
Intermediate

Offaly V Fermanagh

Post by OY13 »

Just heard that the offaly senior footballers played fermanagh in a challenge game yesterday. I think there was only a point in it until half time when offaly made a few changes and fermanagh started to pull away from them. I think this is the team that started: P. Kelly, B. Darby, S. Sullivan, G. Grehan, N. Darby, J. Keane, R. Connor, A. McNamee, G. Comerford, K. Slattory, P. Kelleghan, N. Kelly, T. Deehan, J. Coughlan, W. Mulhall.

Bogman
All Star

Re: Offaly V Fermanagh

Post by Bogman »

Thanks for the information!! Interesting to see Karol Slattery tried again in the forwards. How did he do there?

cluster
Junior C

Post by cluster »

Slatts played the first half, put in some great work round the field.. All round exceptional performance.. Form is temporary, class is permanent!!

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Any ideas where this match was played?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

D Corner Flag
Senior

Post by D Corner Flag »

I heard it was in Maynooth, with a final score of 2-22 to 10points. I would of been alarmed until I saw the team obviously it was to try lads out. Does anyone know did anyone make a push for the starting team?

I also heard Rory Guinan informed management he is not interested in continung with panel, why I dont know. A shame though, a classy footballer in comparrison to some guys on that team, but no disrespect to them who are putting in the effort.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Just looking at that team i cant get over some of the lads on the county panel

B Darby, Grehan, R Connor, N kelly all nowhere near senior intercounty standard. I know that might seem harsh but their average club players at best.

I see N Darby is included. I was impressed with his performance against Tullamore. He gave McConway a torrid time and he has seemingly been exceptional in sigerson competition. He'd be a useful wing or centre forward but not wing back. Rory Guinan another player who got headlines at sigerson level has not made any breakthrough with offaly. Hes alot better than alot of whats there and he is guaranteed to get you a few scores.

Karl Slattery will be a huge boost. I hope to god though that Sullivan isnt left at full back on Glennon or the game will be over pretty early.

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

I wouldnt agree with that statement, Rory guinan is a good footballer but i dont think he is any better than any of the lads on that team?? There was only a point in it at half time i think. Offaly brought on J. Reynolds, S. Ryan, A. Mulhall, J. Kelly, G. Dunne, B. Quinlan, G. Rafferty, Des. Egan in the second half and one or two more who i cant rem their names, i think i have most of them there anyway.

I also think you are being a bit harsh on some of the lads there. Rory connor played c'ship last yr and b. darby has been very solid for offaly in the league apart from maybe the antrim match.

D Corner Flag
Senior

Post by D Corner Flag »

Rory Guinan is alot more influential than the likes of w. Mulhall, N.Kelly, P. Kellaghan or G. Comerford. But those less talented are commited and want to play for Offaly so fair play to them. However as a supporter I really cant see us winning anything with the likes of these anywhere near our panel. N. Kelly is a medicore intermediate player.

The question is why doesnt the talented footballers in the county want to wear the jersey?

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

Rory guinan does not have as much talent of any of the players you named there with the exception of niall kelly. P. Kelleghan let alone played with offaly, he played with leinster a few years back and has been a regular for offaly for the last number of years!! W. Mullhall played with ireland U17 international rules and started on last years under 21 team that reached the leinster final and the 2 minor teams that reached the finals the two years before that, you also have to take into account he was on the panel last yr and is still only 19 yrs old this year. G. Comerford was one of the best offaly forwards a few years back, being a regular starter at wing forward and kicking the frees for the seniors for a year or two before he went to america. N. Kelly i cant really comment on because this is the first year i have really seen him, from what i have seen i think he may not be good enough but he is an extremley hard worker and gets on the ball alot!!!

D Corner Flag
Senior

Post by D Corner Flag »

I have nothing against W.Mulhall he has has some great underagre experience and in time he has great potential to take the 13 shirt once he fills out more, but is he better than Ken Casey, who also wont join the panel! but both points you make for Paschal and Comerford are how they were good. Paschal will pick out some nice passes but thats it and come championship he is always the one giving away needless frees and being boarderline sent off, Comerford i dont think will set the world on fire either.

Rory Guinan is the best playmaker in Offaly club football at the minute.

Im not knocking the guys in there far from it there only doing there best, my point is why wont players like guinan put in that effort, when they have the ability. Is there a problem with the setup, are our tactics just to have guys you will run and run and is this stopping genuine footballers from developing on the team or do they just not care about playing for there county!

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

No mulhall is probably not as good a player as casey although they are different types of player so it is hard to judge, however it is not a case that casey will not join the panel he was part of the panel and was willing to put in the effort but he felt he was treated unfairly by the management. I understand where you are coming from i was just making the point that these three lads have more talent than Guinan. In my opinion Paschal is still a very good fotballer, he may not be as good as he used to be but i believe he is still a better option than Guinan. Paschal has years of experience and is still very good at setting up attacks and he was also one of offalys better forwards in the league campaign. Fair enough Guinan may be as good as Comerford at the present moment but i think there is very little difference between the two and i think if i was picking a team Comerford would get the nod because he has the few years experience on Guinan. I definately do not agree that Rory Guinan should be on the team ahead of any of these lads. I have nothing against the chap and as i have said earlier he is a very good footballer but in my opinion he would not be any improvement on the lads you have mentioned.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

What time was this match in maynooth. I heard on Sat night from a parent of one of the players that the game was at 11am. I arrived at 10.50am and when I asked about the Offaly v Fermanagh game a local club man looked at me like I escaped from a mental hospital. I then got information that the game was switched to clane for 11.30 and surprise surprise when I arrived there all the pitches were taken up with women and underage teams training. There was not one Offaly or Fermanagh car anywhere in sight and I tell ye I felt like a right muppet walking around asking people about a Offaly / Fermanagh game in my Offaly jersey, Ive no doubt some of the women thought I was a bit strange, so please can somebody tell me what time and where was this game. THANK YOU.

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

The game as played in Rathcoffey, between maynooth and leixlip at 11:30am.

MF35
Intermediate

Post by MF35 »

Enough of the horse sh1t lads on who should and who should not be on the panel. There are 30ish lads in there giving their all for it at the moment. There are less that 4 weeks to go till we take on our biggest rivals. I am more interested in hearing more on how this game went. Was there anyone here at the game? Can we get a breakdown on how each player performed?
Who did the scoring.
2-22 was alot to concede. where were the problems in the back line?

I dont see Mac, N. Smith, Paschal, Niall Mac mentioned anywhere above. Why? any injuries?

I hear that there is a challenge game against Roscommon on Thursday night and another challenge at the weekend.
Will anyone be attending?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

MF35 wrote: I hear that there is a challenge game against Roscommon on Thursday night and another challenge at the weekend.
Will anyone be attending?
Would be delighted to - any idea where though? Seems odd that Roscommon would be playing a challenge game with their Connacht Championship match on Sunday all the same.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.