West vs East

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

West vs East

Post by Lone Shark »

This is utter frivolous rubbish, but that's never stopped me before... ! :D

There have often been debates about the spiritual home of Offaly football etc. But as things stand, for all Rhode's dominance, I think West Offaly seems to be the more dominant force at the moment. (Rhode and Edenderry posters getting more annoyed by the minute!)

Anyway, giving Rahan to the West, and Tullamore to the east, here's how they'd line out. Who would you have as the winners?

West vs East

Kelly McNamara

Chop Froggy
Rafferty Evans
Donoghue Casey

Mooney Shane Sul
Brady Keane
Hunt Slattery

McManus McNamee
Grennan Padraig Bracken

Neville Ciaran Kiely
Daly Roy
Shaper David Egan

Quinn Ken Casey
Tommo Niall Mac
Jimmy Paw Paschal

Let the partisan rhetoric commence! :D :D

(If anyone else feels they could do a better job as selectors for the east then step forward....)

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

On the East side I'd pop in Adrian Mahon at midfield. Johnny Hurst would push Casey for the corner back position.

West would need Joe Quinn at centre forward, Mark Daly back at midfield, McManus at wing back and Mooney in the corner instead on Donoghue.
Game on!

sparklin
Intermediate

The West's Awake!

Post by sparklin »

Hard to call but being biased i'd have to go for the men from The West. Niall wouldn't get enough quality ball to win it for the east and Quinny would take control around midfield and supply Jimmy with 'Hollywood' passes to destroy our neighbours from The East.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Funnily enough the west looks stronger. With two not too bad teams there, can anybody tell me how the hell we manage to fuck up in the Leinster every year?
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Not forgetting Barry Malone for the East Side, imagine if he got his game for Offaly but couldn't make the East team!

gaahead
Junior A

Post by gaahead »

I agree with spartklin, the Westies look stronger - wouldn't it be interesting to see Quinny and Jimmy playing club together - Parish team anyone?????

Lone Shark
All Star

Hmmm....

Post by Lone Shark »

To be fair in terms of full back line, the east basically is the Offaly line. Malone would be ahead of any of the three west full backs really.

Quinn was an obvious absentee, but I felt that the west needed all their best backs in their best positions. With Hunt and Nigel Grennan in there already, a third attacking back might be a bit much. I'd actually replace Grennan before I'd replace Donoghue - I think he's a class act.

I'd still disagree about Mahon vs Bracken as well. Close call though.

West 1-14
East 2-7

Lone Shark
All Star

Ballycumber Parish team.

Post by Lone Shark »

You'd have some bloody good forwards on the bench of that parish lineup. Guinan, Freddie, Chop, Hunt, Jimmy Paw, Trevor, Donie, Lynam all vying for places....

And that's assuming Fox and Quinn at midfield - either of which would be comfortable up front either.

Actually that parish is a great argument for smaller club sides. A lot of good players would have got left by the wayside if ye were just fielding one team. Plus the county would be deprived of the roller coaster ride that is Doon football.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Would a Parish Cup competition ever get off the ground?......the likes of it work in Cork and Kerry. You would have the makings of a good one here I'd say.
Edenderry/Ballyfore
Walsh Island/Bracknagh/Clonbullogue
Rhode/Croghan
Daingean etc
Doon/Ballycumber/Tubber???
Tullamore
Clara
Shamrocks/Pullagh
Shannonbridge etc
Ferbane etc
Gracefield etc

A competition like this would surely generate good public interest plus the standard of football "should" be of a higher quality. Another plus is that all players regrdless of their clubs' standing would be available to play.

Any comments?

gaahead
Junior A

West v East

Post by gaahead »

neither of the three senior teams in the parish had enjoyed any success in modern times so how can you say its a good argument - and I dont agree that good players would be left by the wayside - there are intermediate and junior levels aswell - all 3 teams are forced to field a number of players who in all honesty would be more suited to those levels

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

If the Chino was putting it in, he would have to be in contention for midfield for the East. Also Barry Malone would warrent a starting position.

Lone Shark
All Star

Re: West v East

Post by Lone Shark »

gaahead wrote:neither of the three senior teams in the parish had enjoyed any success in modern times so how can you say its a good argument - and I dont agree that good players would be left by the wayside - there are intermediate and junior levels aswell - all 3 teams are forced to field a number of players who in all honesty would be more suited to those levels
I would think that if it was an amalgamated parish team, Jimmy Coughlan wouldn't have had such responsibility at a young age and as a result wouldn't have developed like he has. Doon picked him because they had to, and because he knew that he had to score heavily, he took on a lot and developed as a result. Players like Alan Lynam now would be another - he probably wouldn't get picked now for a parish team, but in truth he'll improve a lot more for having to step up and deliver for Erin Rovers.

Certainly knowing a lot of the Doon GAA fraternity quite well, I don't think they'd have the same level of pride in an all-parish team as they would in their own area.

As it is now, all three clubs field senior and junior teams, two junior sides in the case of Ballycumber. An amalgamated club mightn't find it as easy to field 7 teams, so participation would be less as well, which is certainly an undesirable outcome.

Regarding the point about every club having to field players who would be happier at intermediate or junior level - I agree - but other than Rhode and Tullamore I don't think there are any clubs in Offaly who don't have that complaint. Ferbane is one parish, albeit with a much smaller combined population, and some would argue we have four or five starters that are not quite up to senior club football. But that's the nature of club football - a good mix of the good, the young and developing, and those that are doing their best for the parish even though it's tough going.

As I outlined earlier, if Offaly want to go down this road, I'd much prefer to see them fielding divisional sides from the hurling district in senior football. Offaly football at the moment is being very well served by the smaller sub parish teams - Brigids, Doon, Ballycumber etc. It's the Shannonbridge/Edenderry/Ferbane areas that could do with chipping in and improving matters.

And regarding Hyper's post, Chino has been trading off his "potential" for two years now - it's time he stepped it up. I haven't seen him play a really good game for a long time now, and I can only assume Bracken was picked ahead of him on the U-21's on merit. Certainly he did more in the Meath match and in the Raheen final last year than I've seen from Chino since he was a really good minor.

Barry vs Sean Casey is a close call I'll grant you. I'd pick Casey, but there is feck all in it - I can understand how others would go for Malone though.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

The parish team was tried and failed! St. Manchans had too much politics involved. After another one point championship defeat I heard a selector -one of an unholy trinity that hadn't covered itself in glory that evening-
exclaim "Shur we picked the best fifteen; five from Doon, five from Ballycumber and five from Pullough :? "

ballymanabroad
All Star

St manchains

Post by ballymanabroad »

Yeah we enjoy beating the shit out of each other too much to play together. Tubber and Bally team up well though.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Lone Shark
All Star

??????

Post by Lone Shark »

You enjoyed Shannonbridge last year ???