previous managers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the rat
All Star

previous managers

Post by the rat »

do you think the county board were right to dismiss the previous two managers?
i think they did the right thing by sacking o'kelly, but i thought fahy deserved a second term. under o'kelly i thought they were going nowhere and were beaten by a bad side(rosscommon). i thought fahy was making good progress before he got sacked.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Managers.

Post by Lone Shark »

Like all things, a lot of this depends on who you're talking to. Personally I had great time for Paul O'Kelly, and I thought that to dismiss him after one unlucky Leinster Championship defeat and one qualifier exit when we caught Frankie Dolan on the most ridiculous hot streak ever was harsh. He was bringing on a lot of younger players, and was quite clearly planning long term.

While at the time I didn't want to see Fahy go, there were a lot more questions hanging in the air regarding the Oranmore man. He was accused of being too much under the influence of key players - witness Cathal Daly being left at centre back when the team clearly needed him in the corner. He also made a few very obvious tactical errors - the main one being playing Niall at wing forward against one of the best attacking wing backs in Ireland against Wexford, so as to keep our main scorer away from goals and crucify his confidence altogether. Likewise his style was always controversial and confrontational, which would not have endeared him to anyone.

None of this excuses the manner of his dismissal, or indeed the overall county board policy of an All Ireland in your first year or you're gone, but I'd just feel the reverse to yourself - I'd rather have O'Kelly still there than Fahy.