Brian Whelahan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Brian Whelahan

Post by Lone Shark »

As ye all no doubt know, the great man retired this morning.

Without doubt the greatest ever hurler our county has produced, and arguably (certainly in my eyes) the greatest hurler of the modern era. Singlehandedly carried us in the final of 1998, and his displays in the two semi finals against Cork in the following years were absolutely immense. These were the crowning achievements in a nigh on twenty year inter county career.

His dedication to the county was best illustrated over the last few years - his own reputation would have been best served by retiring rather than facing another generation of 21 year old nippy forwards who couldn't live with him for hurling but could always outrun him in a wide open pitch. Instead of giving up, he stayed on to try and lead and teach the next generation of Offaly hurlers, rather than retire and bask in his own outstanding achievements and spend the time building up his trade in the pub in Birr.

A true legend, and a joy to watch at all times.

Thanks lad.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

First the Pope dies, now the Messiah of Offaly hurling, the chosen one has retired!
This calls for a day of mourning.
Sid was a genius. The service he gave to Offaly and Birr was unreal.
Will Offaly ever see his like again?

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

The word legend is used too often to describe people these days, but this man is a living legend, no doubt about it.

Stirling service over the years, did us Biffs proud on so many occasions.

Get the stamps printed!

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Sad to see that Brian has finally hung up his boots! He's had a good run of it to be fair and has given us all something to shout and roar about! Hopefully we can have a few more like him in the future. Was he the last of the '98 team to retire? Coughlan will be a loss to the hurlers too!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Ron wrote:Was he the last of the '98 team to retire?
Gary Hanniffy is the only player who started the 1998 final that's still hurling for Offaly.

Subiaco
Junior C

Post by Subiaco »

The word legend is bandied about a bit too much these days, but you can be pretty sure of yourself when describing Sid thus. He epitomised everything that is good about hurling, and not just Offaly hurling. Offaly wouldn't have won anything in the 1990's without him and it's doubtful Birr would be the most successful team in Ireland without his influence either.

I have many memories of his time on the pitch, but the one that sticks in my mind is the 95 Leinster final v Kilkenny. On probably the wettest day I've seen in Croke Park, Offaly gave the Cats a hurling lesson that has been repaid many times over at this stage. Kilkenny were on the attack heading for the Canal goal. Brian was covering back as usual and heading for the goal line when the ball was played across the goal. Sid was going one way but managed to stick out his hand behind him and grab the sliothar before clearing upfield. I've never seen reflexes like it on a pitch since.

Thanks for the memories Brian.

The Biff
All Star

STOP THE PRESS

Post by The Biff »

Fond memories of this great player. So many great inspiring performances. Unlike some others (who I wont name), Brian always seemed to manage to produce his best performances on the biggest occasions.

Fair play to you Brian and enjoy your retirement. There wont be another Team of the Millennium picked for another 995 years so you have at least that long to last before you can be usurped as the last player of the modern era to be so extolled.

Have a pint, but prefereably not in your own bar or you'll have to wash the glass after.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit @ 5:30

RTE Sportsnews says that this could all have been a misunderstanding and he might not ne retiring at all. He just wants a break but the "door may be open" to rejoin the Offaly panel if he is happy he can recover his form.

If that's how he feels, then it's good news. Personally, I'd be happy for him to look after his own life at this stage.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

The Biff is spot on. Seemingly some slight misunderstanding in communication between McIntyre and Brian. Word has is the door is still ajar depending on Sid's performances in the red and green.
Not altogether the manager's fault as Sid indicated that he was packing it in.
But then even Prince Charles got a second chance.
Beware Sid - look how he ended up!

Treasurer
All Star

Sid

Post by Treasurer »

First the Pope dies, now the Messiah of Offaly hurling, the chosen one has retired!
We have a new Pope and god may not be retired just yet - perhaps not such a bad day for the faithful after all!