Offaly Minor Management A Complete Joke

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Shamrocks Rover
Junior C

Re: Offaly Minor Management A Complete Joke

Post by Shamrocks Rover »

Treasurer wrote:Shamrocks, last night's issue of the questionnaire was the third time it was sent out.
Without giving away any identity it was received by the club last night for the first time.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Shamrocks Rover wrote:
Treasurer wrote:Shamrocks, last night's issue of the questionnaire was the third time it was sent out.
Without giving away any identity it was received by the club last night for the first time.
Strange, it must have gone astray somewhere because I have emails dated 13th March and 24th March and all clubs are listed in the "To" box.

Shamrocks Rover
Junior C

Post by Shamrocks Rover »

Treasurer wrote:
Shamrocks Rover wrote:
Strange, it must have gone astray somewhere because I have emails dated 13th March and 24th March and all clubs are listed in the "To" box.
I can only speak for one club, dont know about the other 38 that are missing but not all clubs use the GAA mail system , quiet a few get contacted by personal addresses ( mostly work) which doesnt seem to have happened on the first two notifications that you refer to.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Shamrocks Rover wrote:[
I can only speak for one club, dont know about the other 38 that are missing but not all clubs use the GAA mail system , quiet a few get contacted by personal addresses ( mostly work) which doesnt seem to have happened on the first two notifications that you refer to.
Fair enough, there's obviously two different circulation lists becase the list I have is the same on all three mails. Anyway, just in case you think I'm having a go at club secretaries, far from it, I'm only too well aware of the volume of correspondence they have to deal with.

midfield
County player

Post by midfield »

DD wrote:
ballymanabroad wrote:Is there a copy of that questionnaire that we could download somewhere?

Also this is the first I have heard about it - no I'm not secretary or PRO of my club - so has it been promoted in the local papers?

In fact why can't the CB use this site to promote ideas? There are far more lurkers than contributers on this site so a message would spread quickly if it was advertised here. I certainly check it far more than http://www.offaly.gaa.ie
There's a couple of lines about it (but no detail) in this weeks Express as part of the "In Brief" review of the minor match. I haven't seen or heard anything else about it.
That Offaly website is a bit of a joke. its never updated. fair enough all the information from the county board goes out to the club secretary , but sometimes you might not hear about it and then miss out. It would be better if most / all if possible and relevant information for the general public was posted on the website - ie coaching courses , developement squads , reports from county board meetings etc. look at Dublins or Tyrones website and it always seems to be updated. The Dublin website has coaching resources on it for example. Ours can hardly put up the results.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Offalys Future wrote:This has become a very interesting topic and it has been great to see guys interested and voicing their opinion. Pity that some have tried to ruin the dicussion but i suppose we are going to get that.

I guess since i started this topic and have voiced my concerns on many occasions i feel that maybe a forward step should be made. I propose a meeting, nothing major maybe even just a chat with whoever wants to come and voice their opinion. Maybe nothing will come from it at all but i think personally alot of good would be made. Thats just my opinion.

I for one would love to get involved at an administration level and would definetely be willing to work for free and put in the hours if it was with the right people all working for the same goal that being to see Offaly hurling competitive again at all levels.

Let me know what ye think or pm me.

of
Okay then.

There have been numerous calls for OF to put up or shut up in terms of taking some form of action on his numerous strongly held thoughts. In fairness the above outlines a reasonable first step. I think it would be a good investment of time for anyone who can clear their calendar some evening. Although I am away, I'll be happy to Skype in to 'the meeting' anytime after 5PM (10:00PM Eastern) Monday through Friday...just let me know.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Me too. A physical meeting up probably isn't needed at this stage yet, but I think a 'web' meeting of some description would be a decent thing to do.
Register your interest here, and when you do, try to put together some sort of framework proposal of your own, or basic ideas. We could then organise to email them around to everyone who's interested, and take them as a starting point for any discussion.
I'm willing to collate and/or organise the 'meeting', if people want.

So. Names here, any 'bad' times for meeting.
Get scribbling on word, and PM me your email addresses, and I'll make sure everyone gets everyone else's proposals in advance of the meeting.

Cheers
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Any one else interested in this lads? So far only 1 other person has PM'ed me.....

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Come on gang!

Here's our chance to shape the future.

Can you imagine it being 2028 with Offaly being a legitimate contender for ages and a nightmare for anyone to play against?

That and a thriving youth program to ensure more of the same for years and years to come??

Better yet - being able to wake up every morning knowing that you were (are) an important part of it???

How about it????

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Don't want to appear negative here, but this idea seems to borrow heavily in concept from the gpa.
That is rather than work through the existing structure of which you are already a part, go and create a seperate grouping to push your cause.
However "right" your casuse, and the ideas in this thread appear entirely right, you would start at a huge disadvantage coming from outside the system.

Whether we like it or not, the GAA at every level is a hugely political organisation. I think far more could be achieved by taking these issues back to your club and pushing them there. Then if you persuade your club, the ideas go to county board level with far more weight behind them than if they are coming from a group of "internet agitators".

Just my view.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

That's exactly what we would be talking about doing bare biffo. But if we all co-operate and go to 6 or 7 different clubs with the same proposals, then there's a better chance of something coming out of it. Likewise, if we go direct to the review committee or whatever, we could still use the club(s) to float the idea.

We are NOT trying to operate outside the GAA.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hi Bare Biffo, thanks for chiming in. I think AZ has covered this adequately, but just to second the thought - there is no renegade operation being formed here.

To get a significant plan off the ground, the plan has to be better than what is in place by a wide margin to merit the required attention.

Once that is established, the hard work of building a support base can begin in earnest. This is the hard part and it requires people who understand the workings of the GAA. People with influence need to be convinced to come on board and help champion the cause. The standard bearers of the plan must be cast iron stomach types who can weather the abuse and hurdles that will be thrown in the way (such is the way anywhere change is being lobbied for).

If it gets to the point of acceptance, the GAA will put the structures in place, arrange financing, facilities and be there to prop up the operation should it falter at any point. If the CB see this as the way to success, the organization will own the plan.

This is by no means a separatist approach. The support of the GAA structures/clubs whatever and the enthusiasm they put forth will have a huge influence on tsuccess of the plan should it be accepted.

This is the beginning (or a beginning if you like)

Can we put together something that is clearly superior to what exists today? We certainly can't if we don't try.

Hope this helps.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Fair enough AZ & Kevin.
Well clarified.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Read through this thread this morning, because of a reference to Offaly's Future in the other thread got me curious. It's interesting to see what the future as perceived in 2008 held, and how things are now.
Plus ça change, plus ça meme chose (pardon my French!!)