Clara 0-13 Doon 1-10

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Clara 0-13 Doon 1-10

Post by Lone Shark »

(Meant to get around to putting this up earlier, but it's been a busy week report wise, so ye'll have to forgive me!)

If there’s any justice in the game, these two sides will be around for a long time this summer and give plenty of supporters from other clubs the chance to see what kind of good football they’re capable of. That isn’t to see that both clubs don’t have their weaknesses, as all clubs tend to have, but the positive manner in which both these teams looked to move the ball and attack was a genuine joy to behold. Certainly allowing for both the players Clara have to return and Doon’s potential for development with a relatively high number of new faces from last years senior lineup, it’ll be a good team that eliminates either of these sides.
Clara started brightest, and had three points on the board before Doon managed to reply. At this point you suspected Doon were going to have to do a typical hang in there and look for the sucker punch kind of effort. Noble though that aim is, and let’s face it, they’ve mastered the art at this stage, you still don’t want to be going to the well too often to draw out that kind of trick. So in a role reversal, they got their goal to go from two points down to a point up with around ten minutes on the clock – Trevor Phelan cutting through the Clara defence at pace and finishing very well.
From there on, to cut a long story short, points were traded, with the lead oscillating between three and one points the whole way through the game, both sides being led by their young stars in the inside line, Deehan and Coughlan, only for a run of three points in row to the 50th minute level things at 1-7 to 0-10. Three times from then on Doon took the lead, only for Clara to find the wherewithal to level it every time. Great stuff, and while I wouldn’t call myself neutral, (who doesn’t love Doon?) you’d have felt sorry for either side, even if they are Clara, for losing such a helter skelter game.
Overall, from a Clara perspective, you’d say that adding Matt Mitchell, Mark Daly and Marius Stones to that lineup would improve things considerably, not least with Daly in midfield who would certainly have strengthened what was a moderate area for both sides yesterday. But their running off the ball and driving at teams in numbers is paying great dividends, and was the reason for Deehan getting so many of their scores – by my count five of his seven points were from frees, although to be fair many of them he won for himself.
Doon played a much more expansive game using the same rangy foot passing we’ve seen them employ down the years, and it worked well, with Damien Hunt and very useful new addition Aidan Holly finding their men well. Matthew Boland picked up some good positions in behind his man, while Niall Kelly also showed well. These two are likely to add sharpness to an already fine attack. With so many of the younger players playing well too, you’d expect big things from their U-21 combination with Pullough this year.

With so many players likely to feature for the county at various levels over the next few years, I may as well rate them all. Clara first:

John Buckley Didn’t really have that much to do. Couldn’t be faulted for the goal.
Sean Nolan Don’t know much about this guy, but he handled Phelan quite well, who usually is a very tricky customer for corner backs.
Willie Reynolds Decent player, but was out of his league on Coughlan. The fact that Clara didn’t bother to switch him just showed that they didn’t have an alternative.
Alan Clavin Could easily have thrown it away when after winning a free threw a punch at Coughlan with a few minutes to go, his team one behind and got sent off. Wasn’t having a great game anyway, and Clara will certainly be looking to make a change here for the next two games.
Kieran O’Meara Decent if not spectacular. I’m not sure about the story with Marius Stones, but certainly wouldn’t imagine he’ll be kept out of the team by Kieran.
Scott Brady Fantastic performance. Played well throughout, driving at Doon and forcing them to commit men before laying off well, got on the scoresheet, and once Hunt was switched onto Shaper, really went to town. Man of the match, for all Jimmy’s heroics.
Terence O’Brien Was confused by the way Boland played him – kept looking to get out in front of the young lad, but Boland had a knack of just losing him and cropping up in space. Won’t be happy with his display.
Joe Quinn Savage fit, but just still can’t seem to keep a ball under control. In a match with no real midfielders should have dominated a lot more than he did.
Mark Meehan Not really involved at all. Daly will be straight back in instead of him.
Padraig Moran Took a few good scores, handled the ball very well and was a part in a lot of Clara’s good play. Very good all round performance.
Gene Weir Never got into the game, and eventually was substituted. Another that you’d expect to lose out when other options become available.
John Reynolds Whenever he took the ball on and ran at Doon he looked very dangerous, but he was too long before he started doing this. Dropped very deep at times, and while he moved the ball well enough, a county forward should really be looking to hurt the opposition more. Played like a third midfielder for a lot of the game, which does not play to his strengths. His improvement and Clara finally levelling up the game were not unrelated at all.
Peter Flanagan Quiet for a lot of the game, picked off a few good scores at the end. Should have used his size advantage on Rohan a lot more than he did.
Colm Kelly Utterly anonymous for most of the game. Didn’t look like he posed any kind of attacking threat, and failed to stop Inky Ryan breaking out of defence and starting Doon attacks.
Thomas Deehan Took his chances well, and beginning to get back to form. Wasn’t dominant from free play, but was too much for Doon to handle all the same.

And for Doon:

Kieran Gavin Clara had two goal chances, and he narrowed the angle well for both and the Clara lads shot wide. Much like his opposite number, did nothing wrong all day.
Ciarán Heavin A wholehearted player, he keeps getting handed the man marking jobs, and it’s a big ask. He’s a long time playing now to be able to handle 21 year old county players, and regularly resorted to fouling. Eventually Squart sent him off, but there was nothing cynical about it – he just struggled to keep up.
Fintan Ryan A long time stalwart for Doon, and again here. Was completely on top of his man, controlled the area well and set attacks in motion with intelligent use of the ball. The Denis Irwin of Offaly club football – never lets you down.
Declan Rohan You hate picking on him for it, but he’s just too small. If a high ball came in at all on Flanagan he wasn’t even able to break it, and Clara should have used that earlier. Maybe Vinny didn’t want to pick on an old clubmate, but if he didn’t do it others will.
John Ryan Wasn’t really able for Shaper, and didn’t offer anything going forward. Tried hard as you would expect, but not one of his better days.
Aidan Holly If Doon win their first ever senior county championship this year, a thank-you card will have to be sent in to Ericsson HR department – this man is a Godsend for a team that was struggling around the middle. Not quite county standard based on this, but strong in the air, good distributor of the ball, and very fit. Started at centre back but was moved to midfield where he gave Doon the kind of foothold in this area they haven’t had for years. Got the better of Joe Quinn, which is saying something.
Paul Heavin Impressive performance from the young lad. Had a tough job on Padraig Moran, but stuck to it well and got involved going forward on occasion too. A dark horse for the future if he keeps improving.
David Larkin It’s a lot to expect a minor to start a senior championship game of a team of Clara’s calibre anywhere, let alone in centrefield. Unusually for an 18 year old he wouldn’t really be quick enough but would be strong enough for the sector in time you would hope. In the mean time went back to his more natural position of centre back, and did ok defensively, although he would offer a lot of attacking support. Still, there’ll be lads playing for the Offaly minors this summer who are a long way from their club’s senior team, so he should have something to offer.
Dessie Egan Another very young player to be putting in this sector, he got involved in the game and moved a lot of ball. Needs a bit more experience to become a real force under the dropping ball, but will come on in time.
Matthew Boland Another of the younger contingent being brought in to start for the first time this year, he showed a lot of potential and awareness in attack, took his point very well, and didn’t shirk his duties tracking back. The fight for his soul with the rugby lads goes on.
Damien Hunt Should he go on to feature with the county, he’ll rarely have a tougher direct opponent than here. The playmaker role at centre forward is definitely suited to him, and showed great presence of mind taking Doon’s last score which at the time looked like it could have been the winner.
Donie Ryan Probably the least involved of the Doon forwards, which was surprising. Didn’t really get into the game in the half forward line, and failed to get out in front when he was moved inside. Won’t be happy with his performance here, but there’s a lot more in him.
Niall Kelly Having seen this guy over the winter you’d say there might have been a good footballer in there somewhere but he’s been eaten. All I can say now is fair play, he was as fit as anyone out there, kicked a couple of very nice points and showed what the club have been missing over the last few years.
Jimmy Coughlan A typical cameo was in the second half, when he took the ball on the 45, drew the defender leaving Niall Kelly in acres of spacer inside about 30m out, proceeded to go round the outside of the defender towards the sideline and kick it over the bar with his “weaker” left foot while facing towards the stand. Completely the wrong thing to do, but also a fine example of his talent.
Trevor Phelan A lot quieter than we’ve come to expect from the wee man. Was reasonably well shackled all day, but still got a fine goal. Bigger and better to come from him though I imagine.

Teams:
Clara: John Buckley; Sean Nolan, Willie Reynolds, Alan Clavin; Kieran O’Meara, Scott Brady (0-1), Terence O’Brien; Joe Quinn, Mark Meehan; Padraig Moran (0-2), Gene Weir, John Reynolds (0-1); Peter Flanagan (0-2), Colm Kelly, Thomas Deehan (0-7).
Subs: Tony Dalton for Gene Weir, Fergal Moran for Terence O’Brien

Doon: Kieran Gavin; Ciarán Heavin, Fintan Ryan, Declan Rohan; John Ryan, Aidan Holly, Paul Heavin; David Larkin, Dessie Egan; Matthew Boland(0-1), Damien Hunt (0-2), Donie Ryan; Niall Kelly (0-2), Jimmy Coughlan (0-5), Trevor Phelan (1-0).
Subs: John Egan for John Ryan

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Looks like a very young team to be doing so well against clara, do you reckon there is life after vinny?? God forbid even a better future??

Lone Shark
All Star

Life after Vinny

Post by Lone Shark »

Most definitely is life in them yet.

The defence is quite average mind. Paul Heavin has improved, but by and large it's still a lot of average players held together by Inky Ryan at full back. That's what's likely to prove their weak point, because while they used to be very poor in midfield, Dessie did quite reasonably and this guy Holly was a revelation.

Looking at the bigger picture it's probably kind of worrying that an average club footballer from Kerry can have such an impact in a game between two of the better club teams in the county, but Doon won't mind.

Turfbag
Junior C

Post by Turfbag »

On the Doon game..

I thought Des Egan had a great game, considering he couldn't even participate in any games last year he look a fine player. I would have to agree with lone shark, some of the passing and movement from Doon at times was exquisite, Hunt carried the ball well and his distribution was excellent, I was impressed with Boland’s ability to step up and take his scores, I think Kelly, Phelan played well but I think there both capable of playing better. Donie was very quiet, the game seemed to pass him by.

Midfield has been improved by Holly, I think you might see Marcus Egan play a part at some point too he's a strong player.

Defence will struggle this year we are still lacking a little pace at times.

Does lone shark think Doon will miss John Joe O' Leary this year? He has been a consistent performer over the years.

Lone Shark
All Star

John Joe

Post by Lone Shark »

Marcus always struck me as the most literal manifestation of the term "impact sub" you're ever likely to see. While he would bring a different dimension to their game, I'm not sure how well he'd fit into the long passing game they look to play at the moment. Certainly I can't see him dislodging Dessie or Aidan Holly, so you're really looking at him to come in against strong fielding teams, maybe in place of a forward, and to help with the gathering of possession and leave Jimmy and Trevor do their thing against three full backs. Basically, I respect what he brings to a game, but I'm not sure it fits in with what Doon are trying to do.

John Joe wouldn't let you down, and his coolness under a dropping ball was remarkable. He regularly gave you heart attacks going out for a ball but to be fair, the farce against Rhode last year aside, it never seemed to cost them.

That said, it'd be harsh to say that Gudgie can't do as well until he proves otherwise. He had very little to do last Sunday, and I thought he narrowed the angle for the two goal chances well and dealt comfortably with the one high ball that came in. He may or may not be as good as JJ, but he certainly seems to be more than adequate so far.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

I think we should adopt a Kevin Keegan philosophy, just out score the opposition...........though that tends to backfire........

Still, its great to have so many positive aspects after our first game, I believe that we have a very capable forward line and a midfield that can improve, our backs might not be out of this world, but every team has a weak point.......can't be perfect!

Cue some witty clara response........