Offaly Underage Academy Launching this Wednesday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly Underage Academy Launching this Wednesday

Post by Lone Shark »

(This is an official county board release)

Offaly GAA Football and Hurling Academy

Join Offaly's past and present stars as they gather to launch tomorrow's heroes!

Wednesday 6th April
Edenderry GAA Centre, 8pm
Music by Simon Casey

There was good news for all involved in the Offaly GAA Football and Hurling academy last week when it became known that the Offaly GAA board had acquired substantial sponsorship from an Edenderry businessman for a three year period with a view to continue.

John Foley , along with his wife Marie and daughter Orla of Accelerated Drain Cleaning have promised a substantial investment in the future of Offaly hurling and football and a major launch night will take place in the GAA centre Edenderry on Wednesday night week the 6th April.

Attending the launch night and performing the official ceremony will be GAA president Sean Kelly accompanied by Minister for Finance Brian Cowan and the possible attendance of other high profile politicians. The event will also be attended by past and present Offaly greats.

This is a major achievement for Offaly GAA and praise for securing the future for young hopefuls in Offaly must go to county board chairman Ollie Daly who is fast proving himself a real workaholic for Offaly GAA.

The Foley family have never been found wanting when it comes to promoting underage activities in all sports in the Edenderry area and the committee of Edenderry Bord Na nOg hope they have a terrific launch night and a very successful association with Offaly GAA.

The night promises to a superb event, the night will get underway at 8pm in the GAA centre and music will be by Simon Casey. Admission is free and everyone is welcome.
[/img]

Treasurer
All Star

Academy

Post by Treasurer »

Any of ye at this? One thing that struck me was all the talk about the great players of the past and the great potential for the future - not a word of recognition for the PRESENT squads. I doubt if it was intentional, but I thought it was a bad oversight.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Can anyone give me the low-down on the day to day running of the academy?
Who will be doing most of the coaching etc.
I'd be all for the Eastern bloc style sporting academies of the Communist era.
Promising young players confiscated from their parents.
Crazed scientists pumping them full of performance enhancing drugs.
Brainwashing and mind control until we assemble a bunch of robot like destroyers who will terminate all opposition.

Alternatively get in Ger Loughnane to run the show!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

I can see it now....

Post by Lone Shark »

... bands of Dolph Lundgren-like minor teams marching onto the field in formation. By the time they graduate to senior they'll have a grizzled Jean Claude Van Damme quality about them.

Actually come to think of it the guy that got in all the trouble for his "coaching techniques" with the South African rugby team in the run up to the last World Cup should be available now. I'd say he'd put together a committed hardy band of young lads.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

"the guy that got in all the trouble for his "coaching techniques" with the South African rugby team in the run up to the last World Cup should be available now"

Jaysus, I can just see our minors running through the bogs of Pollagh carrying home made rafts above their heads in what yer man called team solidarity. At least some of our lads wouldn´t refuse to share a room with somebody of a different colour. Although with the animosity between Rhode and Edenderry at the moment....
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali